Last year, JNC presented the inaugural Touge California, a vintage auto rally exclusively for classic Japanese cars. Touge means “mountain pass” in Japan, where peaks and canyons comprise 70 percent of the nation’s land. The goal of JNC Touge California was provide owners of Japanese classics with the experience of driving, as faithfully as possible in America, the types of roads on which their cars were born and forged.
Last year’s event was a trial run. We extended private invitations to a select group of drivers for a 120-mile adventure through the Santa Monica Mountains north of Los Angeles, traversing a course that was both scenic to behold and thrilling to drive. The response to this first-of-its-kind rally was overwhelming. Participants raved (one called it the best automotive event in which he had ever participated) and afterwards we heard from countless enthusiasts in the JNC community that wanted to be part of the Touge California story.
JNC Touge California returns on Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 and this time we’re opening the event to entries from the public. We’re looking for 25 exemplary Japanese nostalgic cars to tackle a 200-mile course that will cover of some of the most picturesque terrain and pulse-quickening drivers’ roads in southern California.
- April 2nd, 2016
- Pre-1980 vehicles only, though continuation models (i.e., FB RX-7s through 1985) will be considered.
- Both stock and modified cars are welcome. However, we’re seeking excellent examples of the breed. Entrants must be clean, undamaged cars (no mismatched body panels, primer, or rust) that represent the emergence of Japanese marques as world-class automobiles.
- The route will not be revealed until the day of, but will take place over 200 miles of mountain roads in San Diego and Orange counties. As per tradition, automaker collections will be on display.
- Application is not guarantee of entry. We are looking for a range of makes and models and have only 25 spots. Early registration will be taken into consideration. Deadline for entries is March 1st. All applications will undergo a selection process; we will notify accepted entries no later than March 8th.
- The cost will be $60, which includes a gift bag and meals.
For those with 1980-or-later cars, stay tuned for an announcement later this year.
Here is what last year’s event was like. JNC Touge California 2016 will be an unforgettable experience, and we hope you can be a part of it!