#
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 217 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Project Cressy: 1979 RX30 Cressida Reintroduction
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:06 pm 

Hey guys,

Since my car is currently going under major rebuild and a lot of progress has been made this past few months i think its time for my Cressy to have her own build thread.

Before this she has been in two, one about her 1st intro where im looking for the parts

viewtopic.php?t=2202

and the one about the dual carbs...

viewtopic.php?t=2251

AND THE STORY BEGINS...

I bought the car in April 2008 for quite a bargain. When i first bought it, the car was a mess and in a very sad state. Rusts all over the body panels, dirty exterior, interior and the engine bay, not to mention long list of engine, suspension, electrical faults. It was also not road worthy, the insurance and roadtax had expired. One of the sad thing was the owner used the car for towing his boat and there was a huge hole on the rear bumper to mount his tow bar.

Pic when i 1st bought the car

rear pic, hole on the bumper

to be continued.... :wink:

Last edited by PathFindeR on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:35 pm 

more pics... the engine bay

a few months later i decided to send it for a full repaint on the car (still deciding on the colour so pls pm me for options... :wink:) but like u guys it was not enough and i want a full rebuild on the body and engine. hehehe....

SO I SENT IT TO THE WORKSHOP...

The shop belongs to my good friend located in the capital and since i work and live just half an hour from that place it is a perfect place for me to come over to visit its progress...

Oh if u notice the no plate has changed. i changed to a new no once i had the road tax renewal.

Ordered new rims for it

its two piece WORK Meister S1 17 X 8 -9 (F) and 17 X 9 -41 (R) Gonna change the rears to 10's soon. With my new rear fender being widen I think i can still fit 10's in that rears.... :wink: im waiting for the new rears to arrive so ill post new pics of it as soon as i got it.

Fitting to the car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:45 pm 

THE CONSTRUCTION...

Since the wheels are massive and obviously it doesnt fit the arches so external wide fenders were the 1st thing that came to my head but the body shop mechanics gave me a better option.... to pull out those fenders 2 inches at the back and 1 inch at the front. I never see any cars does that here so i thought why not? hehehe.... 1st they cut out the inner arches with a blow torch and pull it out 2 inches and secure it 1st with a steel bar. Then they cut out sheet metals to the desired measurements and weld it back again. Front arches is easy... just by pulling out the inner arches with pliers and knocked them until it sit nicely to the front wheels.

the rear arch after the job

the front arch

the rear end was so bad and hve to rebuild from scratch...

the front bumper and lip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 pm 

Didn't think you could ever get those big wheels under the fenders, but it came out really nice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:42 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
Didn't think you could ever get those big wheels under the fenders, but it came out really nice. 8)

well neither do i... if u look at the pic it sat nicely on those rims and it doesnt really look like the fenders being modified. :wink: hehehe....

Moving on... While the construction took place i took the liberty of doing some the job myself to save time and money. I took out the front grill (notice the missing emblem on the previous pics); parking lights and the headlight buckets for polishing. I discovered that the left headlight bucket was badly damaged and the chrome peeled almost to the plastic bit so i decided to find a new one. The left park lights (or dim lights) lens were also crack so i need to find a replacement for it too.

Ordered 'new' headlight buckets and emblem. Many-many thanx to Bullitt who made a real effort to look for the parts for me. It was pretty cheap too. Im just not happy with the condition of the buckets but i guess i have to live with that. Its better than nothing rite? :)

after cleaning and polish
not bad eh?

The front grill after refurbished and polished.... and install the emblem too. Niceeeee....

and the dim lights buckets... im still looking for the lens so please PM me if u guys know where i can find any. Im still waiting for Bullitt and BOBLOOK for the findings :)

and oh... i ordered a new pair of chrome side mirrors from ebay. I like!!! :)

more updates after this.... im still digging the pics of the updates hehehehe... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:45 am 

Nice project Rizal...i,ve found parker lamp lens here,but still looking for a good one...will let you know if i found any...

Those mirror for door or fender mount? They look awesome...mind i'm asking..how much your damaged for that mirror? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:55 pm 
I'll have a look in my parts pile and see if i have any of those lenses for ya :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:31 pm 

bullitt wrote:
Nice project Rizal...i,ve found parker lamp lens here,but still looking for a good one...will let you know if i found any...

Those mirror for door or fender mount? They look awesome...mind i'm asking..how much your damaged for that mirror? :D

Hey Megat!!! Thanx again for the headlight buckets. After a hard cleaning job it finally show the shine thou i cant turn it to its original condition. Well at least its better than the old ones...

The mirrors is for the doors. I dont mind u asking but how-much-my- damaged-for-that-mirror-what? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:33 pm 

pies wrote:
I'll have a look in my parts pile and see if i have any of those lenses for ya :)

hello pies.... Oh thank u! Just post up the pics of u have any. Look ppl! Another good samaritan!!! I love this forum!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:36 pm 

PathFindeR wrote:
The mirrors is for the doors. I dont mind u asking but how-much-my- damaged-for-that-mirror-what? :roll:

He means "how much did they cost"? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:21 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
PathFindeR wrote:

He means "how much did they cost"? :wink:

Hahahaha!!!! i knew he meant it that way! hehehehe.... It cost me USD70 plus shipping...

Anyways... updates! Well... If u look at my older post on my engine and the dual carbs story viewtopic.php?t=2251 its stopped when im just waiting for 18rgRabbit to send me the carbs intake manifold.

So it arrived.... Thanx 18rgRabbit. U r a star!!!! :)
Theres a lot of parts missing on the linkage. Please identify it for me and tell me where i can get the rest of the missing bits. Thanx!

After a thorough cleaning and paint it with a high temp spray. It looks better now.

The engine too got the special treat. After i took i out last month with my friend we decided to keep it at his house and do the engine after work. We took out the original carb; manifolds; etc etc.... after that we cleaned the engine using a degreaser and washed it off with a water compressor.

Before cleaning...

After cleaning...

After that we dried it off using an air compressor. Once its dried; its ready to paint. We used an anti corrosive paint as the base coat. After a thin layer of it applied and dried we used a high temp paint and spray it to the engine body. I choose black coz its my fav color... :wink: hehehehe....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:21 pm 

Great thread, I cant wait to see more :):)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:40 am 

Ok... so both the engine and the intake manifold were cleaned. Its time for me to check how the intake looks like on the engine. Since i dont have the gaskets for it i just gonna dryfit it for now. My mate's gonna make 1 for me but that'll be another story. I also cleaned the prepolished the engine head. i used an 800 to 1000 for the shine u saw on the pic. Ill use another 1500grit for final scrub next time and use Meguiar's Mag & Polish for the final polish to get the chrome look. Will post up the pics when its done... :)

Test fit the carbs. What do u know.... Fits like a glove! :wink:

Oh... The carbs rebuilt kits had arrived!!!! Once the carbs being stripped and cleaned ill reassemble and change the old worn bits to new ones. This i cant wait but... patience... :|

i think i need kev to help me out with the carbs install. i read his hakosuka thread and he really inspires me. Im totally enjoy reading his thread and to tell you guys the truth i actually learned a lot from it. Most of the knowledge ill apply for my build.... im sure u dont mind eh kev?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:50 am 

Moaaaaaaaar.
Anxious to see the finished product on this, you're doing it right!
Got anymore pictures/details on the rear bumper you fabbed up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:14 pm 
PathFindeR wrote:
pies wrote:

hello pies.... Oh thank u! Just post up the pics of u have any. Look ppl! Another good samaritan!!! I love this forum!!!! :D

well, i couldnt find any in my stockpile of bits sorry! But next time i go to the vehicle wreckers up the line ill grab a few pairs :) might not be for a while though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:10 am 

pies wrote:
PathFindeR wrote:
pies wrote:

well, i couldnt find any in my stockpile of bits sorry! But next time i go to the vehicle wreckers up the line ill grab a few pairs :) might not be for a while though

No worries pies... the car is a time consuming project so theres no need to rush. Hmmmm.... what else have u got in the stockpile eh? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:31 pm 
haha a lot

i've got a MEU engine with all the bits on it including loom and ecu, i've got a shelf full of other bits i cant remember exactly what. Might take some photos and post up if you after anything in perticular drop me a pm :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 am 

pies wrote:
haha a lot

i've got a MEU engine with all the bits on it including loom and ecu, i've got a shelf full of other bits i cant remember exactly what. Might take some photos and post up if you after anything in perticular drop me a pm :)

Hmmm.... do u have the interior centre console? U know the console where the handbrake is. Mines broken and im searching for it at the moment...

Thanx pies!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:34 am 

Alritey, Sorry peeps for the hold up. Its the Aidilfitri Festive season in my country and i was busy celebrating, hehehe...

Anyways, moving on now.... 2 weeks ago i took some pics of the bodywork progress and nothing much has been done to it. Just body filler and primer coating :cry:.

The 'new' rear bumper too got the treatment. I couldnt find any replacement for the bumpers so the bodyshop guys made 1 for me and wanted to try their new House Of Colors chrome paint on it. We'll just have to wait and see for the results but i doubt it'll come out the same as the real chrome.... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:36 am 

Here comes the interesting part...

THE CARBS REBUILD....

Days after when the carb kits arrived i strip the carbs and clean it using the engine degreaser and also some petrol. 2 toothbrush were used throughout the cleaning process, hehehe... :lol:

After stripping and ready for cleaning. All were arranged in order to make it easier for me to assemble it.

After taking out the float chamber assembly i noticed a lot of parts have to be replaced, i.e gaskets, needle valves, jets, etc etc...

The float assembly gaskets really need to be replaced with new ones. When gaskets is hard and easy to break, that means you need to replace it. The left one is the new gasket and the right one is the obvious...

After it was cleaned and ready to be assembled. Replaced the fuel filter and the washers to new ones to the banjo asembly.

Replaced the old needle valve assembly to new ones.

Changed to the new gasket. I used a high temp silicone to secure the gasket in place and also for better results.

time for bed now. Ill continue this tomorrow... :oops:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 217 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next