#
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:55 am 

Thanks Kilua!
Speaking of painted parts, I got out there for just a little bit last night and got the coils and brackets sanded and painted. The brackets are actually supposed to be zinc coated, but since I don't know anyone who can do zinc coating, or even how to ask for zinc coating (that's not exactly the type of Japanese that floats around in text books, haha), I painted them the same blue that my radio bezel is. The paint actually turned out really nice, I think it'll look pretty sharp once it's bolted down with some new shiny bolts.

More to come this weekend for sure!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 am 

Thanks for that detailed and informative write-up on the radio, I have saved it all and are going to try myself very soon, albeit not on a japanese car.
Great work on the rest of the project as well, looking forward to seeing it come together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:41 am 

Thanks for the comment cat0! Let us know how the radio turns out!

I went by the paint shop again today and while the car isn't done yet, I got some pretty nice pictures of it in progress! Needless to say, I'm really excited, haha!
I let the pictures do all the talking.

Here are the front fenders all smoothed out and ready for paint.

Passenger door ready for some paint.

Driver door.

Trunk lid. The rust under the sticker was too severe so it had to come off. I took a couple of hi-res pictures of it before hand though, so perhaps I can make a new one.

Most of the rust fixed and cleaned up on the hood.

The wheels split apart and with a coat of primer on.

The inside half of the wheels.

Fully covered in primer.

Here are some of the trouble spots. There were big rust holes in these areas. They cleaned em out, welded in new steel, then put bondo on top to smooth it out. I think they turned out rather well!

Then I got lucky, they decided to go ahead and start painting the interior. So I stood around a snapped a few pictures as the first coats of color went on!

Driver side foot-well.

Passenger side foot-well and center tunnel.

Whole interior with the first coat of color on it!

I think she looks fantastic and I'm really happy with how it's turning out. These guys are great and will definitely be getting my Skyline when the time comes (rather when I get more money, haha). They're thinking done an ready to go by next weekend!

Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:12 pm 
Administrator

This is turning out really great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:53 am 

I absolutly love this build, you are obviously a very lucky and talented individual to have found this car and to have got to this stage. Not to mention being in a part of the world most of us on these forums would chop our right arm off to live in.

Can't wait to read more, this is exceptional.

Chris

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 am 

Berry naice. I'm liking how this is coming along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:10 pm 

Awesome project!

You should post it on The Car Louge:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5080-The-Car-Lounge

Biggest forum on the net for cars (subforum of VWVortex) and they love odd-ball stuff like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:18 am 

Great to see some progress. :)

Tell the painter to wear a respirator, or at least a mask! The isocyanites in the paint (assuming it's two-pack?) are extreeemely bad for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:06 am 

Dumb question, but does this car run off a 12 volt or a 6 volt system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:19 am 

Thanks everyone for the comments!

ChrisOFNA, not a dumb question at all! I actually wondered about the same thing when I first got the car to the garage too. It is a 12V system, but it needs one small battery. Normal modern day batteries are too tall and end up hitting the hood!

So there's a holiday here that runs from the 13th to the 15th called Obon, almost everyone takes these days off of work. So I swung by to check on my car Friday and Saturday and the paint shop was closed. So I had pretty much given up on seeing or getting the car back this weekend, but then today I got a call saying they'd finished it! I practically flew to the shop and my god it looked good!

Here she is in the shop with the fenders and hood on for the trip home.

Here's a few of the parts ready to be wrapped up and toted home!
Driver door.

Rear gate.

Passenger door.

Here she is getting loaded onto the truck.

Man that car really is tiny!

Home sweet home!

Getting it home wasn't enough though, I still had plenty of energy and my motivation was through the roof, so I started bolting pieces on. Starting with the lower front piece that connects the engine mount bars to the side of the car.

Then I tossed the engine in! No lift, no problem, the engine is light enough to just pick up, haha!

Coils and fuse box bolted in.

Shift linkage installed.

And finally, I got the gas tank and oil tank in! I think the matte black and cream white contrast really well. She's definitely turning out better than I had hoped!

My goal is to have it hooked up enough to fire up on the 23rd of this month. Probably getting ahead of myself on trying to get the engine to start so soon when there is plenty of other things to do, but the 23rd is my birthday and I think firing the engine up and giving it a few revs would be an awesome birthday present, haha!

More to definitely come soon!
Thanks again everyone for the inspiration and comments!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 pm 

That's one wicked build! I would love to see the end result. :D

Anyway, in the old school radio build, you might want to reroute the ipod power supply cable away from what I believe is the amplifier section of the radio. It might eliminate the scratchy/static noise you have.

Good luck on the build! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 pm 

WoW she's really coming together fast, I'm forever impressed by this resto. I hope it inspires many more JNC'ers like myself to pull there fingers out this winter and get their JNC's on the road.

Looking forward to seeing some video of that fire up on the 23rd :tu: :tu:

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 am 

Thanks for the comments!
I actually started the radio up without the power cable or voltage converter attached first and the scratchy sound was about the same as it is now. Although, the scratchy sound doesn't really bother me, I think it fits the character of the car really well, haha! Thanks for the tip though!

I can't keep my hands away from this thing, I've been out there every night playing with it since I'm so excited, haha. My goal this week was to get the wiring sorted enough to get the engine to turn over, so that when this weekend rolls around I don't spend all my time hunting wires down.

I started by painting the battery tray and installing it as well as painting the regulator(?) cover and bolting it up.

Then I went out and spent a lot of money on new fuel and oil hoses and a whole lot of stainless screws, bolts, nuts and washers in the sizes and shapes of ones pulled from the car. We have this awesome shop here called HiTap and all they specialize in is having every kind of nut, screw, washer, bolt, etc. you can think of. I intend to use as little of the original hardware as possible.

Got the fuel shut off valve painted and installed along with some fuel hose and new oil hose.

Here's the wiring all sorted out! I didn't take any good pictures of the wiring when I was pulling it out (lesson learned!) and had a rough time figuring out which wires went where. But I eventually got it all squared away tonight and she turned over! She is definitely starting up this weekend!

She's getting there!
Thanks again for all the support and inspiration guys!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

Are you going to do anything with the engine or just leave it as-is? I can't imagine leaving it like that with the body all nicely painted and such.*

*Sorry if I sound like a wet towel, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:39 am 

Thanks for the comments guys!

ChrisOFNA wrote:
Are you going to do anything with the engine or just leave it as-is? I can't imagine leaving it like that with the body all nicely painted and such.*

*Sorry if I sound like a wet towel, lol.

The engine actually gets covered almost completely up with fan shroud. I haven't painted the main shroud that covers everything up yet, but once its painted and I got the exhaust all hooked up, I'll toss it on. Once on, it should be mostly painted pieces floating around in the engine bay! :)

asley wrote:
Show it to good garage.

Thanks for the comment, but not sure if I understand, haha. Is good garage the name of a shop around here?
Sorry for my lack of understanding, haha, but as soon as this car is done, I'm driving it everywhere and showing everybody!

Thanks again guys!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:43 am 

Nice 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 pm 

Alrighty! Been out there working like crazy!

Got the exhaust manifold and the expansion pipe all hooked up.

You can see the massive expansion pipe sitting underneath the engine here.

This is the heat wrapped oil injection line coming down from the oil tank headed to the pump at the back of the transmission.

Here's the two heat wrapped lines coming from the pump up to the engine block.

Where they bolt into the block.

Got some of the interior bits in.

Also pulled the carb apart and used about a half a can of carb cleaner cleaning it up, haha!

Here's the cleaned up venturi. There was something living in there when I got the car!

Carb back together and installed on car.

All buttoned up and ready to go (save for plug wires and oil and gas)!

Here's a video of the first start (warning, big goofy white dude talks at the camera)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMe-l8laeU

The oil injection system is giving me hell so I had some pre-mix in the tank. I just eye-balled (read: wild guess) the mixture and got a little too much oil. After adding some more fuel she runs much better.

Here's another video of her running much smoother (warning, the big goofy white guy is still talking to the camera)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRuibYdH04

Still no oil injection. I'm running out of ideas on how to get that to work. I may have to pull the exhaust back off, pull the lines off and deal with it at the pump. Engine is running much better and fires up no problems. This thing is loud though, haha! Might seem quieter once outside and on the road, but in my garage the thing makes a racket!

So there we go! Fired her up on my birthday! Not a bad present if I do say so myself, haha.

More to come soon!
Thanks for the comments and inspiration everyone!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 pm 
Administrator

asley wrote:
Show it to good garage.

sorry, naka, the spammers slip by sometimes :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:43 pm 

It seems like the paint shop did a great job, it looks pretty!

Congrats on getting the car to run, I hope to see more stuff done to it. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 am 

awesome!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next