#
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 79 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 pm 
Administrator

+1 on the phenomenal build. I'm not a fan of the POR-15 engine bay but hey that's just me being anal.

The rest of the car is utterly sick and I can't wait to see the vid of your first freeway tear. :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:39 pm 

Those CCWs are bad ass! I always wanted a set of CCW or Fikse, but now I figure if a damaged them, it would be so expensive to replace/fix. Im probably going to go with some 5zigens on the flatty because of the bang for the buck. They will clear a 13" rotor and Wilwood caliper too!

I need to borrow my friends wheels to see how the offset looks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 am 

burabuda:
Let me preface this by saying I AM NOT A MECHANIC :lol: and I'm still new to the 4G6x motors, but if I recall by default the thermostat is on the "back" side of the motor along with the factory cam timing sensor. We deliberately relocated the thermostat housing to the "front" of the engine along with the cam timing for ease of maintenance. I know it's not the prettiest, but I wanted all of the ancillary devices at the front of the engine for quick maintenance. I plan on trying my hand at weekend road-racing with this car so I figured it should be form follows function :P

I think some people have done this swap, kept the thermo at the rear of the motor and routed the coolant pipe under the intake manifold? I'm sure the other members on this board are more knowledgeable then me about this and could correct me. Also check this website as they are the experts in RWD 4G6x swaps: http://www.projectzerog.com/

Ben:
Hahaha I can appreciate that the POR-15 is a bit harsh. Also I'll be the first to admit that the build is a bit messy at the moment. I think once I can get the car back from my mechanic and can properly finish the POR-15, get some clean masking lines on it and clean everything up it should look better. At least I hope it does :lol: I would've loved to had everything painted professionally, but I decided to put my money in to the motor and go with POR-15 instead as a cheap and quick solution.

sfbmx88:
Needs more lip! Can never go wrong with deep deep dish.

Otherwise, thanks for all of the great feedback guys! I appreciate it :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:24 pm 

More lip for sure! The only thing is I cant find any "lippy" wheels that will clear the 13" brakes Im gonna install... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:38 pm 
Administrator

Oh, and BTW... your sig is flippin' awesome! Did you draw it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:11 am 

ben wrote:
Oh, and BTW... your sig is flippin' awesome! Did you draw it?

:tu: Thanks Ben!
Yessir! I did draw it. If you want to see a slightly higher-resolution version it's currently being featured as the main banner for one of the major Starion / Conquest community sites:

http://www.26liter.us/

Also if you care to see any of my additional art, here's a link to my deviant art portfolio of personal works: http://attackvector.deviantart.com/

Cheers!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:18 am 

A mild update with a few completely unrelated photos :D

So for the past few months the car has been running and driving. WOOT!

And overall it's %100 reliable and runs like a raging bull. A absolutely fantastic build by my mechanic. My hat is really off to him.

However we've been having problems with the transmission. There is excessive gear lash and bearing noise. (sounds like a bunch of marbles in a glass jar...) especially in gear under deceleration.

So we did a full driveline rebuild on the car in an attempt to chase down the issue. After having the transmission shop go through the gearbox twice with no results We put the car on an isolation rack to try and get to the root of the noise. Which falsely lead us to suspect the torque-tube carrier bearing was thrashed. so we dropped the entire rear subframe, rebuilt the torque-tube, u-joints, tore apart and insepcted / serviced the half-shaft CV's and the rear-diff and LSD, put everything back together and the lash was still there. :evil:

After some further exploration my mechanic was able to determine that it IS in fact the transmission itself. The preload specification on the bearings was set improperly. So the gearbox has to be torn down AGAIN. :x

So this minor setback aside, the car otherwise runs and drives perfectly. It just sounds like a Mac Truck under deceleration, lol.

I suspect I'll have this problem fixed in a few months time. I might be relocating soon so that will hang things up a bit.

Until then here are a few pictures to tide everyone over...

Two built Fiji Blue starquests together... something you don't see everyday
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:47 am 
Administrator

Very cool :tu: Probably my favorite of all the Starquest colors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:22 pm 

Hey everyone!

GUESS WHO'S BACK! :D

yeah so after getting married, moving half-way across the country, starting a new job and buying a house... 10 months later I'm FINALLY getting back to business.

The cliff notes version for peeps who don't want to tread through the whole thread:
While in Texas, swapped over to 4G64 and auto to 5-speed.
Ligo @ Mudpit Perofmance (Princeton TX) did a FANTASTIC job under the circumstances (I rode his ass and gave him a tight time deadline 'cause I knew I was moving out of state)
So he got it done, but that didn't leave us with any time for shakedown.

The transmission has gear lash that needs to be adjusted. And the oil pump has a pretty aggressive leak.

Friday I finally got my slot over at Pina Motorsports in Renton WA. They have a long history of doing 2.4L 4G64 builds and just good DSM history in general.

I should hear from the owner in the next week about what needs to be done to tighten this thing up and get it back on the road!
Until then, enjoy some pics of the hot blue sled!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:51 pm 
JNC Fanatic

moved to washington? I used to live up in the area.

Great looking build. We just have a ocal starion meet down in oregon last weekend.

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:30 pm 
Administrator

Welcome back! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm 

Holy Shit I've been away too long, how'd I miss this!! Love this build!!

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 pm 

Great job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:13 pm 

Hi there. Nice Starion/Conquest you have there. Really like them in blue. Here in Australia they never came in that colour.
I also think swapping the 4G54 for the 4G64 with the twin cam head is a great conversion for them. It would be a lot lighter motor and a lot easier I would imagine to produce good power out of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 am 

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Life keeps getting in the way and it's made progress very slow over the last year, but things are starting to pick up again.

This will seem like a bit of a strange update. When I had the 4G swap done in TX there was no real solution for doing the crank timing at the front of the motor on a 6-bolt block. So we used a 6 bolt / 7 bolt mashup. The bottom line is that while it worked... we never really got everything to seat properly and the engine always leaked.

Recently a kit has come out that allowed us to use 6 bolt hardware throughout the build... so we decided to go through the painful process of converting the entire build over to a complete 6 bolt setup.

So most of these pics show the shifting of the bolt patterns. Many new holes had to be drilled, some had to be filled and others had to be retapped and cleared. It was a massive pain in the ass.

(sorry for crap cell phone pics)

The problematic 7 bolt case which always leaked:

Holes that had to be "moved" to go back to 6 bolt hardware:

Finally new 6 bolt hardware can be fitted!

had to drop the subframe and steering armature to swap to a new 6 bolt oil pan:

almost there!

finally converted to 6 bolt timing case and oil pump! The new crank trigger kit can be seen in the lower left.

For comparison here is the original 7 bolt mashup we created at the beginning of the project:

I think in the end our new setup is much cleaner and the bottom line is that the car no longer leaks and is nice and snug :mrgreen: :tu:

The next project is the transmission... It has a lot of gear lash so I'm going to crack it open and see what's wrong with it. I'll post more pics when I have the scoop on that!

Until then, keep up the projects everyone! Always love dropping in and seeing what people have been up to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:22 am 

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

:shock:

I know I suck. Months go by in between my posts, and the last few haven't been very exciting. But I promise that will change very soon :D

I've been busy fixing the last of the small issues with the car. Just a host of annoying crap that old cars dish out.

Ever since the engine swap the car has been getting repeatedly shaken down. Take it out, beat on it a bit and see what breaks, needs to be tightened, leaks, etc...

Needless to say there were some issues :lol:
(yes, that is coolant, oil & power steering fluid all in one spot)

After lots of chasing leaks I was able to get it down to this...

I finally killed that oil leak and now I'm just dealing with a bad power steering line. But the leak is even smaller then the one pictured above.

On to the other annoyances:

CV boot replacements

The boots had been torn a while before I noticed it. Luckily the bearing was salvageable.

much better:

Broken speedo:
I was amazed that the steel shaft was sheered.
FYI, the new, OEM replacement for this features a nylon gear. LOL... we'll see how long that shit lasts.

Gear back in place... but man... look at that crappy mashed out transmission mount.

Also... a bit of Starquest "Did you know"... If any of you guys ever send your trans off to get a rebuild and upon return you find that you have no reverse lights... it's because the dildos that rebuilt your unit, removed... and then failed to replace a small ball-bearing that bridges the gap in the reverse switch actuator. Took us FOREVER to figure this out.

Okay.... now on to the fun stuff :D

Also another little bit of "Did you know" ... in order to get the rear A-arms off we had to cut the large 10 inch pinion bolts that connect the A-arms to the hubs. Amazingly, we were able to source replacements from an independent hardware supplier.

Andre @ Pina Motorsports out here has been taking amazing care of me. He has an amazing collection of old Mitsu's and DSM's. He's truly one of us :tu:

MORE PICS TO COME!!!!

I've been driving the car more in the last 2 months than I have in the last 6 years!!!

This car is going to drop on the scene this summer like nobody's F'n business.

Stay tuned for pics of the full coil install with the car adjusted to proper ride-height (low and dirty). We also installed a full set of Stedebani solid Urethane bushings along with the coilovers. The ride is amazing... Like a totally different car. I'll take some pics of that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:41 pm 

I was wondering what happened to you, we'll have to meet up this summer sometime, I should have my coupe swapped and on the road sometime in June. 8).

77 Colt Galant Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:09 am 

Thanks skunk!

Raptor, I'd love to meet up with other local old-schoolers. Are there many of us here in WA? I haven't lived up here that long, and my car has been in the shop for most of that time, so I really haven't gotten out to many meets or gatherings yet. Though I hope to change that this season. You got any pics of your coupe project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm 

There's a few of us old school Mitsus around, towat on here has a couple down in Auburn, there's 71ColtGalant on here as well that's in Seattle, thedsmguy is down in Vancouver, and I'm up north on Whidbey Island. City Hunter and Komeuppance aren't too far away in Oregon.

As far as other J-tins...should have come out for the Golden Gardens meet last month! There is a decent amount of JNCs roaming the area.Though, not quite nostalgic yet, there are quite a few Galant VR4s in the PNW.

I don't have many of the coupe, other than when I first got the car and when the 4g63 was pulled from my VR4 and torn down. i'll try to get more once I get home from Afghanistan late next month. The only major components I really have left to get are turbo and a suitable rearend.

Here's a local J-tin meet happening on the 17th.
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13506

77 Colt Galant Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:29 pm 

LOL! wow... that meet is just down the street from my house.
I'm totally bringing the unicorn out for that. Thanks for the link... otherwise I probably would've had no idea.

It would be great to meet up with you and the others this season.
Let's keep in touch on it! Otherwise, stay safe overseas man.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 79 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next