#
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 146 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:08 pm 

Crash1976 wrote:
I may embroider something into these...maybe the dragon emblem into the back of the headrests... ?

:tu:

Do it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:36 pm 

Finally the new head bolts came in and I was able to steal away to the garage to bolt on the head. Quite an exciting moment. After laying down a new Fel-pro gasket and torquing down the head and rocker assembly I was going to put the valve cover on and realized it was naked,just bare aluminum, not very attractive or clean looking. So I finished it in a wrinkle black finish like the old style Toyota covers. I think it gives it a nice vintage look, looks even better now I ground off the raised lettering and the two stripes to give it the silver accents.
Put on a new 22R sticker, fresh wrinkle black and the raised letters and stripes shaved to silver.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:17 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Crash1976 wrote:

Here it is with it's new 22R sticker, fresh wrinkle black and the raised letters and stripes shaved to silver.

See I told you that would look kick ass. It looks amazing with the exposed letters and new sticker.

I might do that to the mister and save myself some money.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:24 am 

As nice as it turned out I was thinking the same thing that you should do it to the Mister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am 

OK, so update with some pics here.

Here is the tail all bolted up, polished and ready to go. The besels could still use a repaint but good enough for now.

Here is the hood with some of the parts I blasted and primed over the weekend.

Here is the tranny, a W5? someth'n five speed out of a 79 Celica...

Here is one of the original seats

Here are pics of one of the new front seat covers...pretty sweet and I STOLE 'em!

And so you see, my garage is in somewhat a state of chaos right now.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:36 pm 

oh my gosh, I have spent 6 hours out in the drive way trying to clean that tranny. What a bastard...that thing was seriously dirty. See my previous post for the before picture. Here is the after picture. If I never have to do this again it will be too soon. I think most of the grease is on me now.

there's still a little blue overspray on the bell that I didn't get because I was out of stripper, but I got it all clean and painted the center section...oh and I looked it up, this is a W50 5 speed...but most of you knew that already, the center section that is black is steel, and the tail and bell are aluminum. After the W50 they went to all aluminum cases.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm 
Administrator

Ooh, shiny!

What did you use to clean it? I have a dirty tranny (hee!) and found that Purple Power degreaser to be pretty good, and it doesn't give you a headache either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:17 am 

I used SimpleGreen in full concentrate for most of it...The tough stuff like old road tar etc I used gasoline and a paint brush and wire brush. After I was all done a friend suggested he had used EasyOff oven cleaner makes short work of it...but can give you that headache you were talking about.

Wednesday is the day for dropping in the engine and tranny...pray for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 am 

Well, I found a guy who has a rear sump pan for me with oil tube but I can't get my hands on it for another week or two and I'm impatient so I decided to just remove the pan and drop it in anyway. Figured I'd just put the pan on later when I get it in my hands. Here's a pic! what a beautiful sight...I have been waiting years for this!

As the engine was going in I noticed the engine mounts lined up before the shifter was under the shifter hole...Turns out I had bolted the engine mount brackets to the rear bosses, the celica uses the front bosses. So I had to relocate them forward. One problem the driver side mount is different if you are using the front bosses compared to the rear so since I didn't have that one I just bolted up the passesnger side and stuck a block of wood in there for the driver side until i make a JY run this week to get the right one.

Now the tranny is in there, drive shaft is hung etc, etc....just need to get that pan, and eng bracket and we're ready to start wiring and plumbing etc. :)

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm 

I love it man that 22r is lookin amazing. How much you pay for that intake mani? And where can you get the 20r/22r stickers? Cause I'm putting a 20r into my corrola and once I paint my valve cover I want a new sticker. I can wait to see the finish product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:55 pm 

that intake manifold is stock.

the project is taking a bit of a turn here. browse this post and see if you understand.

ok, here's the pics I have so far. excuse my cell phone pics please.

These first 3 pics are of the truck when I got to the farm as it was sitting. Notice how the front end is up on ramps and the truck is level...those are some ridiculous tires on the back.

Here it is after getting it loaded and from Shiner to San Antonio where I was staying for the weekend. Now it's officially mine.

Here it is now back at my house in Arlington. I'm sure the neighbors are stoked to have my little pile in fornt.

The Interior is seriously thrashed....

No Tailgate...bummer.. :(

And now the whole reason I went to all the trouble to get this to my house......

The more I look at this thing the cooler I think it is....better get rid of it quick if I want to stay married... Although maybe I could stash it somewhere until I can afford to spend some time on it.. :?

Can't wait to pull the motor!

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 pm 
JNC Fanatic

WOO HOO, hot damn I love it :D :D :D . This just shows it pays to do random searches on craigslist.com from time to time.

Your welcome Cody :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 am 

I like where this is headed :D
Too bad about all the work you put into the 20/22 though, I'm assuming you'll stick that into the truck (Hilux?) though when you get the oppurtunity. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 am 

the 2XR hybrid along with the carb, headers and LCE pro distributor is up for sale in the Toyota swap meets section here. the truck is sold to kingtoy and what he does for an engine is up to him. Now I just need to get this 18RG pulled and on the stand to go over it and get it ready for install into the Celica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:01 am 

Got my garage cleaned up yesterday to facilitate proper working conditions. Afterward I had time before the sun went down to work on preparing the truck to donate it's heart. I removed the air cleaners and found some nice velocity stacks under the cleaners to my suprise. removed the radiator and drained all the fluids. Removed and labeled all the wiring too. Sprayed down the motor mount bolts with some penetrating oil so hopefully they will be easier to get off as well as the carbs and linkage and they are now moving freely. Now it's just a matter of unbolting the bell housing and motor mounts and it should come right out...should.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 pm 

It was 104 degrees here today. with the humidity heat index it was 110... stinky sticky hot

Despite that and my being all by my self today with no help I was triumphant in my endeavor.

Now it's getting dark..I need to go pass out now....in a cold shower.

Good night.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:06 am 
JNC Fanatic

DAMN, :shock: :shock: :shock: that is called really big marbles. It took alot to pull that by yourself in one day.

I can't wait now, the truck will soon be in my driveway. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:03 am 

yes, it was alot of work. thought i was going to pass out from the heat...but i figured, the sooner i could get that engine out the sooner i can get the truck to your house and stop hearing my wife complain about it's asthetic effect on the curb appeal of our house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 am 

Brought home a couple jugs of mineral spirits to wash down the engine and see whats under all the grease and dirt dobber nests. Time to make shiny!

truck goes off to kingtoy's house tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:20 am 

I ordered all my brake parts and they showed up the other day. I ordered my new washer bottle, overflow bottle , corner lenses and rear view mirror. Also Ordered my Sail panels. Foxau2 was kind enough to make me a deal on the originals he made a mold of. His fiberglass re-pro's are nice but if you can have originals...why not right?

Got out there saturday and did this....

First I plugged every little thing I thought migh be an entry point for sand. Covered the carbs, plugged vacuum lines etc And began blasting. I first blasted with a heavy cut 30/60 black diamond media wich left every thing debris free but very rough. I didn't do anything to the exhaust manifold since I'm ordering headers from Joel. Then went back and and bead blasted all the aluminum....timing cover, head, carb bodies etc. to give them a smooth satin finish. I left the valve cover rough though since I'm painting it with wrinkle black and I think it will help it stick better.

After all that, I used a ton of masking tape and taped off the timing cover, head, oil filter mount, etc, etc.... and began painting with high temp block paint..... I think the result is pretty good. Much better than before. Just need to pain the motor mounts and it's ready to go in!

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 146 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next