#
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm 

Great progress on the project, I have been looking at this topic almost every day!

I will be waiting for more stuff done to the engine and whatnot. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:28 am 

WOW, that is an amazing little car. You have done a hell lot of work. Can't wait to see it painted, it will look fantastic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:19 am 

Alrighty, update time!
Even though the car is in the paint shop there is still quite a lot of work to do. I've been grinding, sanding and painting all weekend!

These are the little frame rail covers. Got one painted and you can see a kind of before and after here when comparing the painted one with the non painted one.

Close up of the painted one.

Got the other one painted along with the throttle pedal.

The throttle pedal bolts to the floor and has a pin that connects the bolted down bit to the pedal. This pin was completely rusted through and beyond saving (or beyond my desire to save, haha). So I took a pin from the upper part of the accelerator pedal assembly (which was the same length) and used it for measurement to fab up something to replace it with. Took the sleeve, and let the pedal rotate along that, sent the bolt through and put on a normal nut and another nut that I ground to about half size for a jam nut. Worked out pretty well!

The upper part of the accelerator pedal assembly.

Brake and clutch pedals painted.

First part of the cooling shroud painted. I decided to paint over the existing crinkle type paint that was on it. Hoping that the new paint kind of helps keep that original stuff on while giving a new look. We'll see how the rest turns out.

Horn painted.

In the process of grinding down and sanding the gas tank. This thing had some serious rust on it. Fortunately the steel was thick enough to not worry too much.

Painting.

Then while it dried I decided to take my friends scooter out for a quick run down the street. This thing is hilarious! I look like a circus bear, haha.

Gas tank all dry! I think it looks pretty decent for a quick spray can job!

That's all for now! Can't wait to get the car back and start putting these bits back in!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:36 am 

Hi there Nakazoto,

I've only just joined the site but have been following your 360 rebuild for several months and want to let you know I think you're doing a great job of bring this little car back to life.

I currently have a A72 Lancer (LA as they are known here in Aussie) which I am also restoring back to fairly original condition though it now has a 4G32 1600 motor with twin solexs now sitting in the engine bay instead of the 1400.

Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to seing it when it's completed. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:02 pm 

Nice job, but what about rust? Dont think paint from paint can will be not strong enough for water, salt and etc.. ? :wink: ( I dont know about weather in your country)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 am 

I don´t think he will drive in during winter, so it shouldn´t get in touch with road-salt anymore. At least I hope so! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:47 am 

Thanks for the comments!
I live in Aichi, there isn't much of a winter to speak of here. It snowed twice last year and both times it melted before noon. I don't even think the cities around here know what road salt is used for, haha.
The paint, though, is 600 degree celsius oven paint, so it should be pretty tough once it fully cures.
Most of these parts are easy to get to though and can be taken off in a few hours or less, so if the paint isn't working out on something I can always pull it off and have it professionally done.

Oh, and Nath76LA, be sure to post up some pictures of the Lancer, oh how I love twin solex carbs!

Thanks again guys!
I'll try to get to the paint shop before they close sometime this week and see if I can get some in progress pictures!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 am 

Hi Nakazoto,

Here is a link to my introduction that I have posted with some pics.

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10495

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:54 am 

Headed up to the shop that's painting the car to check on it, but they hadn't started yet. It's only been a two weeks though, so no surprise there. I gave them about a month to get it done so they still got plenty of time. At any rate they had some impressive machinery floating around!

Head here ( viewtopic.php?p=96490#96490 ) for more pictures from the paint shop!

But first, pics of newly painted pieces.

High temp. paint on the header.

Intake painted blue. Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. The blue is a little brighter than factory, but I like it. The paint just doesn't look factory smooth. The fun of gloss paint I guess. Matte black tends to do a better job of covering up poor prep work, haha.
At any rate, it doesn't look too bad.

Sitting outside waiting paint.

Yes, that's an $800 Mitsubishi parked behind a $80,000 Ferrari Testarossa, haha!

That's all for now!
Will keep the updates coming in as quick as I can!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:43 am 

I just now went through all 9 pages of this thread. I'm impressed with the find, the condition and all the hard work your putting into it. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I havent checked on this thread ina while, but wow. You are doing a great job on restoring this classic. I'm really impressed. One of these days I will do a nice restore like this when I get enough garage space.

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 am 

Thanks for the comments Natedog and city hunter!

A short little update!

The radio is an aftermarket radio made by General Corporation of Japan. The best I can figure out is there's some numbers on it that look a bit like a date, which might mean the radio was installed in 1969, haha.
Definitely an old radio, AM and Mono only! Now, I'm no wiring genius, but I really wanted to ditch the AM business and run my iPod through it. So I twisted the L and R channels together (ghetto fabulous way of going stereo to mono, haha) and soldered them directly into the potentiometer for the volume (removing the input probe for the AM, no big loss, didn't pick up any radio stations anyways).

So here the radio is on top of my toolbox with a spare battery hooked up to it and playing Big Bad Voodoo Daddy through my iPod! Imagine a 41 year old radio with iPod connectivity, haha.

A close up shot. If you follow the orange and red line that come out of the tape around they lead to the potentiometer on the right (just underneath the light). I get awesome scratchy control of the volume this way, haha!

Also got a few more things painted.
Namely the lower bumper/motor mount reinforcement thing and the upper reinforcement that holds the hood latch.

The expansion pipe painted in hi-temp paint.

The air filter box put together. The clips that hold the top on kept wrecking my paint so I slipped some tubing over them and now they only squish the paint, not wreck it, haha.

And finally the rear view mirror. This turned out really nice actually!

Not bad for a rattle can job. The glass is the original glass, which is why it looks pretty beat up. The glue let loose on it sometime in the past (I found the glass on the floor when I pulled the car out of the weeds!) which took some of the reflective backing with it.

That's all for now!
I can't wait to get her back from the painters, things will really start moving along then, haha!

Thanks again for all the inspiration guys!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:47 am 
Administrator

Eff, even the mirror looks nostalgic! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:24 pm 

You made the radio-job look very easy! Care to explain how to hooked up your Ipod?
I'm thinking of trying this with an old Philips AM Stereo radio in my old Mercedes!
I'd appreciate the help. :)

You're doing an amazing job on this car. This is a seriously interesting rebuild! Keep it up, your enthusiasm has inspired me! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:12 am 

Haha, ya, I guess the mirror does look pretty nostalgic. Awesome!

IH8 wrote:
You made the radio-job look very easy! Care to explain how to hooked up your Ipod?
I'm thinking of trying this with an old Philips AM Stereo radio in my old Mercedes!
I'd appreciate the help. :)

You're doing an amazing job on this car. This is a seriously interesting rebuild! Keep it up, your enthusiasm has inspired me! :)

Thank you so much for the comment!
In that setup it was pretty easy. Coming out of a headphones wire, there are four wires, two per channel. I twisted the two black wires (the ground from each channel) together and soldered them into the common ground on the stereo (the case pretty much). I then took the two remaining wires and twisted them together (effectively taking them from stereo to mono) then I soldered them into the input of the volume potentiometer. On my potentiometer it ended up being the terminal closest to the center of the radio. And that was it!

However, I changed it up a bit. I was reading quite a bit about going from stereo to mono and apparently twisting the two wires together without any form of protection has the potential to harm the iPod. So I decided to wire in 1k ohms worth of resistance on each channel before twisting them together. This provides some safety for the iPod and has no real negative effect on sound quality.

Unfortunately, I'm lazy and the closest electronics shop that would sell resistors is about a 40 minute subway ride away. So, instead I drove down to the local HardOff (a second hand shop pretty close to here that has tons of old electronics) and picked up an old VHS camcorder (that weighed about a ton) for less than 3 dollars. I cracked it open and pilfered four 500 ohm resistors from it.

Here are two 500 ohm resistors in series and soldered to wire from one of the channels.

Both right and left channels with the resistors soldered on.

I then soldered two wires to the end of each resistor series and then twisted those two wires together and soldered them into the same input on the potentiometer.

If you look closely the potentiometer is just under the light. The potentiometer has six terminals actually (a volume potentiometer and a tone potentiometer). The terminal I soldered to would be the bottom left terminal in this picture.

This got me my audio back nice and safe. Then I wanted a way to charge the iPod while it's connected. It turns out that the iPod just uses standard USB voltage to charge with, so I went to the local Kojima and bought a cell phone cigarette lighter to USB charger and a wall charger for an iPod.

I cracked open the 12V to USB adapter and tried to figure out what I was up against.

I pulled out my multi meter, hooked up 12V to the cigarette lighter portion and found the pin on the USB terminal that gets the 5V. I then de-soldered the spring and weird side pins (which pull the positive and negative voltage from the cigarette lighter). The weird side pins also work as a jumper to connect a common ground on the right side of the board with the left side of the board. So I soldered a jumper wire in its place. I then flipped the board over and soldered on the 12V battery inputs to the same places the spring and side clip was soldered to. Then I found that the pin that gets the 5V shares a common line with a resistor and capacitor (that being where it gets it's 5V from). So I cut open the wall charger line and pulled the two wires out from the inside of that and soldered the positive into the resistor on the 5V side and the negative into the common ground on the opposite side of where I soldered the battery negative input (the jumper wire on the top side connects these two grounds)..

So that's all there was to it!
Here she is sitting on my desk rockin' out!

A close up. Interestingly enough if the charge cord isn't plugged into the iPod I get an insane amount of interference. It stops as soon as it's plugged in though, so not sure what's causing it.

And just for fun I took a short video! You can hear the kind of scratchy sound that the radio puts out, but I think it sounds pretty good for being more than 40 years old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmjs_aCxGQ

Thanks for the comments all!
Cheers
David

Last edited by Nakazoto on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:29 am 

So simple it's brilliant :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:01 am 

Thanks a lot! Really glad you took detailed pictures of that, I've never seen a proper write up on exactly how to do it!
I'll surely be having a go at doing it myself. What's better is you did it on a budget!
Thank you so much for the info.

Good luck with the remainder of the project!
Have you heard back from the panel shop yet?

Thanks again. :)

- Jace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 pm 
Administrator

Hahaha, that is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:57 am 

Thanks for the comments! I did the radio conversion for just under 30 dollars, which isn't bad! The cell phone car charger and iPod wall charger were both something like 14 dollars each.

A quick short update.
I painted the radio bezel and put the radio back together. I can't wait to mount this thing in the car, it will look awesome!

I also took the oil tank apart and cleaned it as best as I could. Here's the oil level warning gauge. So simple yet oh so cool looking, haha.

Unfortunately, years of oil and engine heat have turned the plastic very very yellow. I hit it with a sandpaper sponge thing and it cleaned it up but the yellow is there to stay. If I can ever find a new one I might replace it. I reattached the sticker on top, but it's in sad shape, could use a new one of those as well.

Also swung by the body shop and they've started work. It looks like they reinforced most of the rusty spots with new metal and then applied filler over top. Up next is smoothing the filler, primer and then paint!

The car was unfortunately pushed behind a Hakosuka and underneath the Testarossa due to another urgent project showing up, so taking pictures was difficult at best, haha. Anyways, should be done within another week and a half!

Thanks for all the comments all!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:25 pm 

I love what you have done with the car. That radio modification was pretty clever too!

I will be waiting to see more painted parts and stuff like that, hehe.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next