#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: 1970 Nissan Laurel KC30 coupe w/ SR20DET
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 am 

Well, I'm at the start of hopefully a long love affair with a 70 Laurel coupe...
This is it, just bought it yesterday here in Okinawa, Japan. It was a rare thing to come across and I could not pass it up. For a 70's car in Okinawa the body is in very good shape. I got the car from a local tuner/dealer of classic cars, who bought it 3 years ago from mainland (why the body is so good).
It's a coupe, from the first year they were available, the shop owner says it's the only C30 coupe on the island, and I don't doubt it. It's got 4 spots where rust is on the verge of being in control, but I plan to ship it away from this car eating island in a few months for the old car friendly desert of New Mexico, USA.
I was originally looking for an old car (expecting it to be beat up) that I'd put an SR20DET into. However when I came across this, it has the original G18 engine running good. So I am really leaning towards keeping it original. I can always change my mind later if the engine dies. Either way it'll be a nice ride.
Now I'm looking at the uphill battle to find parts. Right now I'm looking for aftermarket parts for the Suspension, Intake and Exhaust.
I have found that KYB makes shocks for it, which is on the top of the list to get. Now I need to find a company that makes springs and strut tower brace. A friend told me about a company that makes a brake steel braided line/upgrade kit for it, allowing bigger front rotors and rotor conversion for the rear. I think that is something I'm willing to depart from original form. I'll just keep the original parts on hand. I hope to find intake upgrades, but don't know if that's available for the G18, same with exhaust. At least exhaust I can have done custom at any point.

I've been looking at Eric's 71 C30 he's modifying: viewtopic.php?t=8475
It's been making me think of the possibilities and options down the road.

For now I'm getting the paperwork switched over to me, and have to start looking a scheduling a shipment date, etc. Looking into the basic upgrades listed above so I can get whatever parts I'd like that are available here in Japan before I leave. And taking TLC of the body to get it through it's time here and into the desert.

If anyone knows of any aftermarket companies that make parts for this model and engine, please share your knowledge. Also, if anyone has any experience with the G18 engine and has tips to share, please do.
I hope to be a long term owner of this beautiful Laurel and member of this forum.

Edited for thread title change

Last edited by KC30 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice nice! A fellow c30 owner!
the coupe's are very rare, looks like a nice one you've got over there.

If you come across a set of sedan taillights while you are in japan i am very interested!

Ill keep an eye on this thread!

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:12 am 

Nice Car mate!.... and yes do keep it original :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:18 am 

lucky!
I love the KC30 8) such a awesome looking car
any chance of letting me know approx what theyre worth? (PM?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:48 am 

have to agree with you dan, damn sexy car. wish i had one of those instead of my laurel :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:38 am 

Thanks for the compliments, I simply fell for this car the moment I saw it. Normally I preferred 4 doors (like the Skyline I had), but the lines on this just caught me. Especially the split windows without a pillar.
I got this at a pretty good price I think, it was 390,000 Yen. Since I'm going to drive it here for awhile, it'll be a little bit more due to inspection, registration and insurance. Plus it should cost about $1000 (USD) to get it shipped when the time comes. But even with all that, I think it's still a good price.
I think part of it may be because if the car stays here on island another year, the rust will get out of hand.

Last edited by KC30 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 am 

that is a nice car def rare,,,the military wont ship for you back to the states? or are you civillian contractor? anyways if the motor dies you can always put a sr20de and you shouldnt have do much except rotate crossmember or you could go l-series or ca18 just modify pan...lots of options i wouldnt worry about engine choices ..body parts might be a consideration though.....but that is definitly a cool ride....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 am 
JNC Enthusiast

rotate the crossmember? if you do that the sr will fit? that is an interesting thing to know :)

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:07 am 

KC30 wrote:
I got this at a pretty good price I think, it was 390,000 Yen.

thats a pretty good sounding price!
I paid twice that for my KP510 SSS coupe.....and I think I'd much prefer to have a KC30!!! 8)
wanna trade? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:13 am 

Well, I picked up the Laurel a few days ago. It runs, but the carb needs to be rebuilt/tuned. Currently I have a choice, adjust it to where it idles smooth, doesn't stall, but doesn't want to start... or where it starts, but keeps stalling out and running rough. Granted, I'm not used to having a carb. I've got a guy who is and has helped, he's telling me in needs a rebuild.

Today I found out I can get an S13 drivetrain/suspension for a good deal. I'm craving the SR20DET and have a hard choice... I put up a poll of see what you do if you were in my spot, it's here:
viewtopic.php?t=10277

Here are pics of my new love:
Dash
Side (doors and trunk open)
Side, windows open
Front
Driver's side looking forward

Last edited by KC30 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:21 am 

put a weber 32/36 on it and drive it ...you will probably need adapter also...that will solve all driveability problems and will run great..i am reading that you have a month before you leave to switch over to all s13 sr20det running gear might require more time than a month....no that it cant be done ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 am 

Well, I'm progressing slowly on the registration change. The Laurel doesn't want to cooperate getting through inspection. The initial inspection had several faults... one reverse light out, sticker on the window, front tires protruding from fender, engine oil leak (actually residual fluid), clutch hose touching the body, P-brake cable/exhaust touching, and exhaust leak.
I repaired things, but the tires, I could only switch front and rear (different sizes) and hope. Try two failed for the front tires protruding again (not even a mm really!) and the clutch slave cylinder that decided to start leaking.
Now I'm waiting for the overhaul kit on the slave cyl, parts for this are hard to get. The Nissan dealer had to look at the vehicle, because they didn't think I gave them a real serial number. Took them a day to research the parts, and luckily, of the two slave cylinders used, I have the one that has an overhaul kit. 1 week wait due to only being in a warehouse on mainland Japan.
So, in the meantime, I got a couple more pics:
Here's the AC compressor! It's huge! About a quarter the size of the engine block!
The interior again. The AC unit is an under dash model on the passenger side.
The detailing on the center console.
Just a dusk pic of the front. Just because I like how it looks.
A pic of the rear. You can see a couple of the cancerous spots. It'll be good to get it off this island and into the desert where it'll dry out.
The side badging... someone had put on the 2000GX badges, even though it's actually an 1800.
The front GX badge.
I figure if someone went through the trouble of badging it as a 2000GX, then it'll suit it to have an SR20DET and be the GX Nissan intended!

Last edited by KC30 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:27 pm 

Sweet ride Brian...seeing the billeting building makes makes me homesick...I wish I was back :(

I see you have the SR and tranny sorted...are you going to strip it down and do a monster rebuild on it?

I'd see if you could scrounge up a set of temporary steelie wheels to get it thru the inspection...you might be able to get a set dirt cheap at that tire shop, or junk yard right outside gate 2. Good luck with the JCI...you'll need it :twisted:

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 pm 

Well, I'd already done some research regarding comparing the Laurel and S13 setups, to see where I'll end up. All I can think right now, is wow, this thing will be a beast.

I could only find 4door specs for the Laurel's track width and dimensions, and I haven't bothered checking the actual car yet.
Even though the Laurel is shorter (171.3" vs S13 178"), the wheelbase is longer: 103.1" vs S13 97.4"
The Laurel is about 3" narrower, 63.2" vs S13 66.5". And the track width is about 6":
Laurel Front, 51.4" - S13 front 57.7"
Laurel Rear 51.2" - S13 Rear 57.5"
So I foresee old school fender flares being needed. If I'm doing that, I should add the old school front air dam I'm thinking... but we'll see.

Jimmy, the plan for now since I have a very limited window, we're just swapping everything and getting it running over here. Just need it to fire up and drive for loading/unloading on the boat. So the speedometer for it will be a sat nav. Depending on how quickly it gets done, I might be able to take care of a few odds and ends, like getting the AC working! Driving it on a rainy day in June... it's a fricken sauna!

So my continuing plan, is to get it back, and let it dry out for 6 months or so. While it does that, I can get the small projects worked, sort out gauges, etc. Then after it dries out, strip it down completely and have the body worked and interior reupholstered. Bringing the Amigo back from England, I learned about letting a body dry out.

For the tires, I'm trying to borrow a set from someone. If it comes down to it, I'll pick up a set.

Last edited by KC30 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 pm 

I'm feeling the pain too Bry...Panama City is about the same right now...just had to throw in another can of R134 in the Z's AC. I'm glad I converted my system over :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 am 

Well, the clutch slave cylinder (actuator) overhaul kit came in 2 days earlier then expected. So today I took care of that, and I saw what 40 years will do to the piston inside, I've never seen one worn this much:
Clutch actuator piston wear
But, I just need to get this one through inspection.
While it was on the lift, I got a few other pics of things that will hopefully be changed very soon:
The engine and it's very beat up oil pan
The 4 speed manual trans
And my nemesis... the rear suspension
I'd looked at the rear suspension before, but didn't get to detailed and check measurements until I started getting them yesterday. After looking at it today, I am getting a bit concerned regarding fitment. I have planned to make any modifications to the subframe and none to the body. But what worries me now is the clearance on the rear. The current diff is actually set forward a little bit, with the half-shafts going slightly back as they come out. So the question I am concerned about now is can I modify the S13 rear subframe enough to clear the gas tank, but still keep the diff/suspension geometry? Like I've already planned, if I can't figure it out now, I'll deal with it after shipping it.
But I am wondering what other options there are. I think I'd heard the Z32's rear subframe mounts were closer together (front to back), but I don't know if that's the case... and even if it was, that's an additional 3.5" to the track width! So I'd end up modifying it a lot then.
Right now, I'm just going to stay focused on getting through inspection, only tires left... until it decides to have something else let go. Then I'll get the parts picked up and start measuring/matching up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I have been looking at fitting an s14 rear subframe too bt i dont think it will be possible without modifying the underside of the car.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject: FINALLY REGISTERED!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 am 

Well, today I got through inspection!!!! Really, for a 40 year old car... I'm amazed by how good it was getting through inspection. It was really only minor repairs, I've dealt with cars 5-10 years old that were much worse to get through!
The final part, the tires, I actually cheated on. I went to find tires this morning for inspection and still no luck finding a set small enough, right lug pattern, and right offset. After the last spot I checked and about to give up... I was thinking, all it needs is for the very front part of the tires to be in a tiny bit.... Then I realized, I already passed the toe/alignment check... and they don't recheck items that have past. So I drove to the inspection place, toed-in the front tires 4 and 1/2 turns, and just made it through the inspection! (the wheel had to be in the perfect position to work as well) I finished the paperwork, parked and toed it back out to original position.
So, I now have normal plates... with an unexciting number: 8996. And now I just have to pick a day to pull out the engine and get started. Granted, first I'm going to go see if the engine and everything is out of the donor tomorrow.
As far as the rear end, I have to figure out something to go in. As I and several who've mentioned, the rear end needs to be upgraded to take the DET. Plus, I really don't like the trailing arm rear... it was great in it's day, but for the handling I want and really need with this engine, it's no good. So it's kind of coming down to a not "if it will fit", but a "how will it fit" issue. Again, without body modification, though I may have to modify the fuel tank to get it to fit. Hopefully I will see soon.

Last edited by KC30 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Congratulations :)

And happy swapping ;)
Let me know how you get your rear fitted as it might be helpfull for me.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:02 pm 

Congrats on the JCI...now lets hope you don't get pulled over after the swap. I still remember the hassle Stoney went thru after he got pulled over in his Z :twisted:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next