#
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm 

I absolutely love this thread! You are making great progress, sir - and I cannot wait to see the final result. I'm checking this thread for progress at least once a day, and to find two updates now was awesome.
Really looking forward to the rest of the story. One day I'll bring one of these cars to norway, I swear. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:27 am 

great little car, when its back together look into quality 2 stroke oil to keep it running well. If you can get it Wurth rust converter is the go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:41 pm 
I'm one of your thread's fans. I was always happy to just read it, but I finally registered with this site because I wanted to say this.

I'm afraid this is kinda off topic, but... I think I know your girlfriend!

Well, good luck with your restoration of Mitsubishi!
I can imagine finding all the parts your Mitsubishi needs is not easy, but your JDM girlfriend can help you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:38 am 

You are one motivated dude! I've somehow forgotten about this thread since page 4 as I wasn't getting email replies. I just overloaded on the other pages of detail :). Great work. I keep buying 60's Colts and putting off restoring them as with no parts or info the job seems extreme. You've just jumped right in - nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:46 am 

Thanks for all the comments guys!
For better or for worse I managed to smash up my AE86 daily, so the hammer has come down; this car has to absolutely be done and road worthy by December. I'm currently driving a newer Mitsubishi Minica, but it's just little uninspired... and smells bad... so I need to get this thing on the move!

Here's a few updates form this last Saturday. I didn't get much done as my neighbor is moving and I ended up helping him out with some stuff.

A nice comparison of the 14 inch Watanbe for my skyline and the little 10 incher for the Minica.

I actually tried to jam it up into the rear fender to get this bad ass, half hidden wheel, major tucked over-sized, Watanbe madness look, but it just wasn't happening. It looks funny and the perspective makes it look like it's unrealistically big, but the Watanabe is pushed up flush against the body! The car really is that small, haha!

More surface rust removal. Back half of the interior is just about ready for paint!

Started in a little bit on the rear floor boards but my back said it was time to give it a rest, so only got a little done, haha.

More to come soon! She's on the fast track now! I got the money and motivation, just need the time now, haha.

Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 am 

Got just a little bit done today.
I decided to mask off some of the things I don't want painted. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the standard blue painters tape (shopping for normal everyday things in Japan can sometimes be quite frustrating) so I bought some plain old masking tape. I don't know much about full painting, so I'm slightly worried about the masking tape holding up. Will paint bleed through this stuff, or does it go on light enough and in enough coats that it's not a problem?

Here's some pictures of the masked stuff.

There's also two trouble spots as far as rust goes. The rear passenger floor board and the front drivers side floorboard. This is where the majority of rain water collected after the two windows had been broken.

So, I went to work on the rear passenger side floor board!

That's all for today, my goal is to do as much as I can to prep it for paint and then get it to the painters early next month!

Till next time!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 pm 

what happened to the 86?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 pm 

never mind, found the answer here - viewtopic.php?t=9916

ouch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:50 pm 

Masking tapes are ok. The paint wont sip through. But the problem are the edges. Since most masking tapes are made of paper, painting them might cause the edges to wrinkle and so will the lines it will make. But if your just using them to hold those plastic wrappers in place then they should hold.

Goodluck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 pm 

Thanks for the info Rockerben! I guess I'll keep my hunt going for the blue painters tape for the more specific parts that I want to mask off, haha.

About the 86, shit happens, but actually I think it's a blessing in disguise, as I dismantle the car more and more the amount of rust on it is alarming. For example, both rear fenders were constructed of bondo and rust and covered up with some fender flares. There are some worrying holes in the base of the shock front strut towers and so on.
My next circuit car will be much smaller, lighter and powered by something insane, haha!

Anyways, short update on the 360!
Got out there this weekend and pulled off a few more bits and started to take rust off of the floor boards. Both of the front seat foot wells are pretty bad but there is still solid steel there. No big alarming holes are particularly thin spots.

Ignition cylinder out.

Accelerator pedal out.

Shot of the brake master cylinder from the top.

Another shot of the master cylinder from the bottom.

Brake master, brake pedal and clutch pedal all out.

Brake master and pedal.

Shot of the linkage in the brake master (all the dust and nastiness is a result of not pulling it out before I started my grinding). Gonna need some serious cleaning.

A couple of shots underneath the car, I'm still amazed at how clean it is under here!

Passenger foot well looks much better now!

That's all for now!
More to come soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:56 am 

So my neighbor had this Ninja 400 sitting in his garage that he bought for parts. He was going to throw it away, but I really wanted to see what the inside of a bike transmission looked like and how it worked, so I asked if I could take it off his hands instead. He said sure and rolled it over.

My buddy and I dropped the engine tonight and in a slight stroke of genius I looked at the engine and then across the garage at my Mitsubishi, then back at the engine, then back at the Mitsu. The engine was light enough that I hoisted it in by hand!

Frankly, I think it looks awesome!

My personal favorite shot.

We were just playing around. I'm not actually going to do this, but I thought that since it looked cool I should at least snap a picture. Perhaps if I can find another Mitsubishi 360 I'll do this swap, haha.

Will have a proper update by the end of the weekend!
Cheers
David

Last edited by Nakazoto on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:50 pm 
Administrator

That would be one fun truck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:42 pm 

Whoa! Do it! put that thing in there.

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:32 pm 

Argh! Good god...don't do it man!!! :shock:

Mintas. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:38 am 

Haha, thanks for the comments!
If I can find another Mitsubishi 360 Van or Truck I'm totally dropping an R6 engine in it and swapping suspension and brakes over to make it a track warrior. However, this one gets to stay factory, haha.

Got quite a bit of grinding done this past week. Interior is almost ready for the painters, just gotta finish up the roof!

Looking good.

Cleaned the dash up a little as well.

Along with the piece that connects the top of the A-Pillar with the B-Pillar (I'm sure there's a specific name for that piece, but hell if I know it, haha).

Started in on the roof a bit. Needs a lot of work up here. Looks like the foam headliner soaked up some water and proceeded to put some surface rust on the underside of the roof. What a weird place for rust!

Overall shot.

That's it for now, between arranging insurance and selling AE86 parts I'm pretty tied up. Hopefully that will all be taken care of soon and I can really start to focus on this baby and get her to the painters this month!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:48 am 

You dont want to sandblast whole car? I think it would be cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:33 am 

Mamutas wrote:
You dont want to sandblast whole car? I think it would be cheaper.

Thanks for the comment!
Indeed I do want to sand blast the whole car. Unfortunately, since so few people have their own garage around here, an air compressor that would be big enough to power a sand blaster with enough gusto to sand blast the whole car is quite expensive.
Also, since so few people restore old cars, asking a shop to sand blast the whole thing would also be expensive as all get out. My plan was to remove as much as I could with a wire wheel and then ask the body shop guy to sand blast the places I couldn't reach. All in Ive dropped less than a 100 bones on a grinder and wire wheels. Also cut the painters work load by a huge amount.

At any rate here's another update!
The grinder gets hot after about 30 minutes of use (not to mention my hands start to feel funny from the vibration, haha) so in between grinding I pulled a few more parts (and cleaned up the garage, haha).

Accelerator cable and motor mounts out. The motor mounts will have to be replaced. They're such a simple design though I'm fairly confident that something can be fabbed up pretty easily.

Pulled the oil injection lines out. These run from the oil tank on the driver side of the engine bay down to the back of the transmission where the oil pump is and then back up to the side of the engine just under the exhaust manifold.

Pulled the front... thing. Its a bar that connects the two front fenders and attaches the two pipes that come forward and have the motor mounts.

Engine bay, if you follow the two black pipes forward to where they dead end and draw a line from side to side that's where the front... thing mounts.

Also got quite a bit of grinding done.
Got the majority of the rust and gunk off the roof. There's still some left but my back and arms are screaming no more. I'll have to ask the painter to sand blast that area.

Half way done on the front passenger inner fender (Is that the proper name for this area? My names are all messed up today, haha).

A shoddy picture, but all the way done on the front passenger inner fender.

And just about finished up on the driver side inner fender.

That's all for now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:55 am 

Holy C**p you have been busy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:06 am 

Got back out there and got the body work that I am going to do finished. There are still a lot (and I mean a lot) of places that will have to be sand blasted, but I think it's few enough to where the price will be kept reasonable (which was my ultimate goal, since I got that time thing, but not that money thing, haha).

Grinding progress in the engine bay.

Rolled her outside (in the rain) for a little bath to wash out all the dust, paint and rust that had accumulated on everything. Here she is after her spray down.

I then pulled all the parts out that need to be painted along with the body. I still got a lot of trim and pieces to pull off but I'm going to really hunker down this week after work and try to get it all ready by next weekend.

Started in on the air vents for the front foot wells.

That's all for now! More to come this week as get out there and really bust down on her!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:50 pm 

Alright!
Had a good weekend! I got out there and dismantled all the pieces that had to be either chromed or painted and got them ready!

All the trunk opening linkage and stuff.

De-luxe!

Trunk completely stripped.

Fender emblem. These will have to be painted then sanded and polished.

Fender trim.

This trim piece meets up with two other trim pieces, one on the hood and one under the grill. They look nice but 90% of the screws holding those trim pieces on were entirely rusted out!

Stripped fender.

Rear glass with all the bits removed.

Trim piece that goes underneath the front grill.

Rear seat before...

and After. That is quite a lot of rust on the metal, but it's still thick enough to salvage. Looks like the rust is the result of the broken window, so it's only a couple years worth of rust instead of 30 years worth.

Dismantled door.

Shift lever. This bit is getting re-chromed! Should be awesome!

The painters said they would do their best to keep this sticker in place.
Best as I can tell it says:
"始動時Chokeを引いた時はアクセルを踏まないこと
70kmh以上ではChokeを半分引いて下さい"
"When starting with the choke pulled out, don't press the accelerator pedal.
When driving at speeds faster than 70 km/h pull the choke out halfway."
Pretty cool!

On the flatbed!

See you in a month baby!

I still got a lot of work to do even though the car is gone. Tons of engine parts to paint with high temp paint, and lots of bits and pieces to source.
But, that's all for today, I'm exhausted, haha.
More to come later!
Cheers
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next