Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm 

Very nice car! Great find :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:34 pm 

very nice :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm 

How come you never see these with as nice low stance? Something inherently wrong with the suspension that it can't go low? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 pm 

I stand corrected... :P

Here's one that's almost low enough...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 pm 
Administrator

datsunfreak wrote:
I stand corrected... :P

Here's one that's almost low enough...

Now we need one with that stance and some lipped wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 pm 

Looking at that pic, not sure there's much wiggle room with offsets. Deep lips are probably out. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:22 pm 

Driving back with boot full, every time i went over a fair bump the tyres rubbed. i like these wheels on it, and he'd flared the guards already, (and machine the rears) so they'd fit. I've added this to my list of things to do...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 pm 

Nice buy, I remember seeing that on carsales.

I think you got a good buy, Once cleaned up I think it would fair up nicely lookswise againts a Hako.

According to one of my parents neighbours there is a property in the Adelaide Hills that has a few of these rotting away and the owner didnt want to sell them. (their neighbour also used to own a Prince Skyline and Gloria)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:20 pm 

OK ... so after a bit of this..................
We got the steering tidy, found the exhaust/manifold leak, and adjusted the clutch.
The clutch isn't the cable and possibly not the clutch itself either. Possibly a spigot bearing, but when the prince guys are back form the national meeting in the Blue Mountains NSW in a couple of weeks, we're gonna spend a day on it on the hoist. This will mean we can clamp the exhaust back again, drop the gearbox and hopefully find out what the heck is causing all this noise!!

Noel and Malcolm came over in Noel's GTA. Very nice, clean and incredibly smooth to drive. We swapped keys and went for a spin. He raved about my brakes, which i think are pretty good, but when i took his out, i couldn't believe how 'bad' (for want of a better word because as std brakes his are perfect) his were- i went passed the turnoff!. I've got an aftermarket booster, but not much else....

here's Noel's...

Noel also has the only known prince GT production car to be fitted with a full factory race kit. there's a pic of it here
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/category/prince/

We were a bit limited for time, as i had to go collect my other toy which came down from NSW......

which will replace this.....................
which used to look like this,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:54 am 

hellaflushhako wrote:
Very cool, were these cars originally 5 lug?

Sure did! Same stud pattern as early Ford Mustang & Falcon commercials. Original wheels were 13"X 4.5".
Laurie is definitely the G11 Guru. I can see from the pics you are already talking to the right people for a genuinly enjoyable Prince ownership.
Congratulations, and enjoy!!

Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:41 am 

Are you and your latest pride making the trip to NSW with the register?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:46 am 

Hi Jim,

Nope, still got that horrid noise and didn't want to risk the 1900km trip! once you get moving it's fine but still........................... i have new clutch arriving Monday along with a thrust bearing so will get onto when the boys are back.

Hope you all have a great time.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 am 

Sooo.... we have lift off.

After the aforementioned NSW trip (Prince National Meeting in NSW) and the boys were back, on Saturday i headed to the "prince mafia workshop" aka noel's. A few came down to help, others just for a look as they hadn't seen this car since the 40th anniversary meet 6 or so years ago.
Te recap. there was a shocking noise that made me think clutch. another said i should replace the spigot bearing.
Pulled out the gearbox and got to the clutch plate........
the old one is the right one. The diameter is so much bigger that I am surprised it didn't rub for the previous owner causing this noise. Being so much wider, it has moved ever so slightly and started rubbing on pressure plate.
New bearing (which the old one was actually rusted and not doing the job at all)
and start it up.... ahh no horrid noise.

Everyone took it for a drive, and most are now wanting the G11 engine! Brakes need bleeding but at least i can now drive it.....

Today was a start on the clean up day. The paint and body have had a hard life- very hard. There's crows feet, cracked, and bits that have chipped off all over it.
More things to add to the to do list....

the paint is quite thin in a few spots, and felt like sandpaper when running your hand across it. i think, a couple coats of clear were thrown on it late one night, as there's tons of little moisture drops in the paint.

I started by cutting it- in some places very carefully as I thought i may have lost paint.......
before
Matt, that's your bumper at the back of the car........

after

So in some places it's made a huge difference, others only to touch- the sandpaper feeling has gone and it's at least mainly smooth..

There's so much more to do i sometimes don't know where to start. Front end will get looked at in the next few weeks for some noelethane bushes etc. I'm also gonna just pull bits off it and just give it a damn good clean...

Stay tuned.........................................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 am 

damn i'm so jealous :D thats is a sweet ride

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:03 pm 
Mild Cam

Car is looking very good so far. Nice work!

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:06 pm 

thanks guys - it will ages before it's even close to how i want it...... but it is running perfectly fine so I am more than happy with that.... for now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:21 am 

May seems such a long time ago......

In another thread in the events section my club had an event and i took the prince for a drive. It developed what seemed like a nasty exhaust leak but it was underlying another issue.
Anyways, the event was 300kms from home and it happened on the way there, so i just drove it home... albeit really loudly, as there wasn't any real loss of power.

Checked a few things, but hadn't had the time to go over it properly until today.

Turns out #1 is okay, #2, #3 and #4 are spot on, and #5 and #6 is ...... well...... buggered. :cry:
So, depending on how busy the engine man is, I'll get some in taking it out and getting off to him. To put a positive spin on it, I can check a ton of other stuff whilst it's all out and give it a good clean......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:16 pm 

Awesome project! Good to see you going about it the right way, instead of throwing your hands up, saying its all too hard, and molesting the buggery out of it like some others have with theirs...

Needs this stance;

Slight tuck in rear, level with guard in front (and I'd suggest they're probably smaller overall tyre diameter too).

With your flaring you might be able to step up slightly in width though (they look like 6" wide and I'd imagine you could tuck 6.5s or 7s).

That said...I've always wondered what one would look like with say 13x8" superlites with 185/60s and dropped close to the deck :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:08 pm 

As you can see, the rears have already been flared to fit these- the wheels were machined to fit. I like these wheels- mind you if they weren't on there and someone said "what about these" I prolly wouldn'tve said yes -and replacing them is diverting money to that rather than other bits (and toys).

There's also the hope that zero comp between 5-6 is "just" a blown head gasket. Cyl pairs 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 on the 2500 are very closely siamesed due to the much larger bore, only around 5 mm land width in that area.
But, it's now an after Xmas job, as the head man is busy until then. Gaskets have to get made, so that takes time as well.

7th- it's always gonna stay a G engine..... :D

If nothing else, gives me time to get moving on the racecar. Murphy's law I get my roadster back from painters straight after Xmas so will also be busy putting that back together.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 70 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next