#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 19   [ 377 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 am 

man, i came across ur stuff on the front page. good stuff!

its exactly how i felt when i came across my honda s600 on a classifieds ad. finding an unharassed, non engine transplanted rare car is so hard. im glad that the s car i found has the original engine and everything else. really.

i was determined to move my car and get everything sorted the first time i set eyes on the car. however i was also detered by slow progress by 3rd party people doing their stuffs. i hope to see great progress to ur car. u have a great collection of cars really. keep up the good work. hope to see all 5 in one picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 am 

Oh man what a find! Im going to lose my mind on this build!

No matter what you HAVE to save that 300kg sticker lol.

Swear to god im moving to Japan lol.

Post subject: Yahoo Auction is Awesome
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 am 

Yahoo auction has delivered.

Dave's car has 2 broken windows; but courtesy of Yahoo Auction (Japan), it now only needs one window.

I grabbed it for him as he doesn't have a Yahoo account.

On to find one more window...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:20 am 

How lovely to have a Japan Yahoo Auction Account. I'd love to buy some S parts myself too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:15 am 

On a quick sidenote do you suppose he would sell some bits off that R32 for cheap? I have a 32 project im working on and those rain gaurds look enticing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 pm 

wow have only just seen this thread now (haven't been on here in sooo long).. you have a nice piece of Mitsubishi history there! can't wait to watch the progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:30 pm 
Administrator

Nice that you were able to find a glass so quick! This project is coming together nicely :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 pm 

man youre gettin all kinds of cool stuff over there. good luck. hope to see more pics

1986 Ford Mustang GT almost at 200k
Past:
1972 Toyota Celica ST 22R swap RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:19 am 

Whoa, what a wicked week at work. After some pretty serious overtime I spent my three day weekend relaxing and taking the 86 to the track!
Oh, also got some work done on the car, haha!

Got the coils and fuse box out.

Also got the starter something or other out. I'm not so good with this 2 stroke electronic stuff, especially since the starter and generator are one unit, haha.

Main wire harness tossed over the side.

At first I thought the frame rails had gotten bit pretty hard by rust....

Then I noticed that there were bolts that looked like they held the frame rails on. Then I realized that I was an idiot and what I was looking at wasn't the frame rails at all but instead just sheet metal covers!

Out and on the ground. They seem to be pretty solid; I think a solid grinding and some paint and they'll look tip top.

Heater control out.

Now that is simple, haha.

Engine bay about as stripped as I'm going to take it. A few more things will come out, like the brake master cylinder and the oil lines (if I can figure out where the hell they snake to, haha), but this is pretty much how I'm going to leave it for the painters.

Interior is getting pretty close too.

Here's the glass ToyGuy posted earlier!

And an interesting shot of the gauge cluster. Any ideas why the white digit is on the left hand side? I asked around a bit and heard that if you were to take one of these cars past 100k it was considered a milestone, so they made that digit white, haha.

Thanks again guys for all the comments!
I'm hoping to have it ready to deliver to the painters in less than 2 months! We'll see if I can meet my goal!

Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 am 
Mild Cam

Good work so far! It's coming along well. With your attitude and pace getting it to the painter's in time will be no trouble at all!

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:27 am 

Alrighty, got back out there and got a few more things done this weekend. She's getting pretty close to the point where I need to buy some filler to fill in a few areas and circle the rest for the body shop to fix. I've never done expansive body work before and I'd hate to botch it up on this car, haha.

At any rate, since one of the brakes was seized up she was almost impossible to push around the shop, so I jacked the front up and the front right wheel was the culprit.

So we pulled the wheel off. It was unbelievably light, but then again, there isn't much to the wheel, haha.

A picture of the hub. No fancy wheel bearings here, just plain jane straight bearings! Pretty wild!

After some solid tugging we got the hub/drum off. The front brake shoes look brand new! The culprit was the wheel cylinder, rust had taken its toll. We hammered it in a bit, but it will have to be rebuilt in the future. Upside is that now she rolls just fine.

When I was trying to take the rear tail lenses off rust had bitten pretty hard here as well and we had to drill the screws out.

Pulled the rear bumper off. The wheel and driveshaft are from my Hakosuka.

Also got the reverse light off. It's in pretty rough shape.

Pulled the accelerator pedal out.

Uses a plastic roller to push on the arm that pulls on the accelerator cable.

A look at some of the trouble spots on the car.
Here is the bottom of the rear trunk and behind the rear bumper. Not too bad, only behind the awesome sticker there are bubbles of rust. I don't know how to get to that without destroying the sticker...

Close up of the sticker. You can see the rust behind the second and last kanji. Also, appears they spelled Deluxe with a dash in it, "De-luxe." Haha, awesome.

Bottom of the fender on the left rear side. Not too bad, but bad enough.

Where the bottom front of the right rear fender and rocker panel meet. Not terrible, but needs help.

Pulled the rear glass out.

And trunk lid.

How she sits now.

Still cleaning up trouble spots on the car. Some just need a good grinding and some filler, and some need proper help. Will keep the updates rolling in!

Thanks all for the inspiration!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:30 am 

What do you mean by grinding and filler :? Arent you going to cut and patch the rust spots ? Keep the pictures comming I like this build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am 

eduardo i. wrote:
What do you mean by grinding and filler :? Arent you going to cut and patch the rust spots ? Keep the pictures comming I like this build.

Thanks for the comment! I'm new to this whole body repairs thing, so I was thinking that the spots where the rust has eaten through the steal will be cut and patched. However, there are tones of places where the rust has just thinned the metal. That rust will be ground off completely and then a thin layer of filler (or a lot of paint) will be applied to eliminate any weird waves that might show up from grinding the metal down. Not sure how else to keep the original lines.

Again, I'm new to this whole body repairs thing, so there's most likely a much better way than what I was thinking, haha.
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm 

Oh, That sounds pretty well, If the rust hasnt perfiorated, there is no need for a patch :D .I would advice to stay away from single compount putties( ones that are not mixed up before being applied).I would use fiberglass reinforced filler on top of the patches.If evercoat barnd is sold there, that would be my advice.I love do it yourself proyects :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, there are many different qualities of filler. I don't know what the best brand would be over there, but maybe some 3M stuff?

As for ground out pits, you can use brass to fill it in, and minimize use of filler.

Post subject: Using Brass
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 am 

Braze it?

Oxy-acetlyene would be a must for that, wouldn't it?

Also, is it a must to get all the rust out of the pits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 am 

ban, yep Thats a great idea too, But alot of care must be taken in order to prevent dmetal distortion.
Toy Guy, yes oxy acetylene is used to braze( weld with brass).You should get rust completely out of the pits in for rust not to start again. A good advice would also be to use pohsphoric acid( comes in many rust converters) is really really tight places you cant fit a grinder on( unless you have a sandblaster 8) ).

Post subject: Re: Using Brass
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:49 pm 
Administrator

ToyGuy wrote:
Also, is it a must to get all the rust out of the pits?

Yes! This is the key to the whole operation. Otherwise it will grow and come back in a few years.

Like eduardo said, you can use acid or rust inhibitor. Mar-hyde is a good brand, I've heard. You can only get it at paint shops like Finish Master.

Post subject: Great Project
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 am 

I just saw your project today and read the whole thing. Amazing! I'll be back. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:30 am 

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys!
I got back out there today and got a little more work done. Did a bit of grinding and trying to get rid of surface rust. I'm still picking bits and pieces of the car out of my hair, haha.

I pulled out all of the weatherstripping. Some of this stuff was still pliable like it should be and some was hard as rock. This is what remained, haha.

Decided to take off the doors too.

This is what keeps the doors from over-opening, pretty awesome.

And the grinding begins.

Managed to clean up the area where the weatherstrip was glued to.

Realized today that I have a toolbox that is shaped suspiciously like a Hakosuka, haha!

Will keep the updates coming in as I clean more of the evil cancer off!

Thanks again everyone for all the comments and ideas!
Cheers
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 19   [ 377 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next