#
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: 1980 Toyota Celica RA42 Grand Prix Gt car... Your thoughts..
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm 

I was wondering what you guys think of the 1980 Toyota Celica Grand Prix Edition? My dad bought it new and it has been in the family ever since. I drove it in high school but stopped driving it since then. It is red with the white interior and has no rust. I was wondering if this car is rare and if there is any value it them?? I have not seen many of these cars on the road or in magazines so I know that they are somewhat rare although less rare than a RA43 sunchaser. The Grand Prix package consisted of white interior, graphic equalizer, special badges and stripes, JDM front grille, side skirts and a few other options. Standard 20r engine with a 1 barrel carb and a 5 speed. Thanks in advance for the opinions and comments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:38 pm 

If i owned that car, i would fully restore it, and drive it on weekends in the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:34 pm 

Slappy wrote:
If i owned that car, i would fully restore it, and drive it on weekends in the summer.

Yeah I used to drive it all year round :D . Back then I was not super into it but I still liked it better than hondas. It would look sweet lowered with some 15x 8 wheels and some new red paint!! I have so many ideas for it ranging from a 3sgte to an Sr-20. I would even settle for just a rebuilt 20r if that meant it was up and rolling again. Someone correct me but I am pretty sure that this car and the AE-86 share the same suspension so their parts are interchangeable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 am 

yeah ae86 parts are very similar. sadly the 2nd gen celicas are not really sought after compared to the 1st gen celicas. So value of them are pretty low. Most people go with the coupes. But it seems you and me are the only one that have one around here hahaha.

1971 celica....rusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:12 pm 
Administrator

Post some pics. From your description the car seems to need some work. Whether it's worth restoring or doing something crazier depends on the condition. I personally would restore it to stock like Slappy said and get a non-special edition one to soup up if that's what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:55 am 

So here is a couple of hot pics from back in the day around 2003. I think we where working on it that day hence the grubby clothes. Sorry for the terrrible hair bleaching it was the style back then :D

Overall the car is not in to bad of shape here. Since this pic the paint has faded even more but the body is pretty straight with no accidents and just the usual door dings. The car has 280,000 miles on it if I recall correctly. The interior is all there but the seats are kinda trashed after all these years. All the wiring works and everything but it has a BHG which is why I stopped driving it and parked it. Would take some work to get back on the road but I learned how to work on cars on this car and I always did like the 2nd gen size and feel. Also notice the sweet super street stickers on the windows which shows how much I knew about cars back then :o I am embarrassed that any car I ever drove had these on it but I got wise real quick and pulled em off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 pm 
Administrator

I like the stripes!

Well, seeing as how it has really high mileage and needs a repaint and upholstery, I guess keeping it stock will be kinda difficult. Go nuts! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:27 pm 

It has high mileage but is all there. It is in alot better shape than 2nd gens with half the miles but needs some tlc. Wonder if Toyota still has the stripe kits and white upholstery for the interior?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]