#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: Painting Information
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:55 pm 

Hi homies. This question is coming from Canada where, as with some of your locations, rust is an issue.

So, one of the main things I am grappling with is body work and painting on my baby blue TE31.

Do you guys all really get pro jobs if your car is less than say some mint beautful rare JDM? What do you guys on a budget with cars you love but didnt pay a lot for, what do you do?

Issue: there are areas of rust. Small, but there. Some dents in panels as well. Given that me matching paint to the colour on there is almost impossible with just weather fade etc and patchyness already I am wondering what to do.

Ideas

1: Just get some of the metallic light blue paint and try my best after grinding/ bondo-ing the spots, painting the individual say "door" or whatever.

2: Give the car a sand and then just primer the whole thing, either keep it badass primer looking, or attempt a take my time home job of painting it, but without having a compressor and such, who knows how.

I appreciate your opinions, this site is amazing, I check it every day!!

Matt
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:06 pm 
Administrator

It depends on what you want to do with the car. Keep it forever? Get that rust patch cut out and some new sheetmetal welded in.

Cheap paint jobs are rarely worth it in the end. If you want to save money, do the prep work yourself. Take off the trim and mask as much as you can and tow it to the paint shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:12 am 

You can still paint your car without a compressor and air gun. Ive read about it and one of my good friends has done this as well. Try the "$50 Roll-on paintjob".

More info is here: http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

Corvair:

My friends Miata:

Bug:

www.g1teg.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 am 

Bag, thanks for the link, that is an amazing wealth of info that guy has compiled!! This is what I NEED.

I have time, I live in a pretty bicycle friendly place and I can easily retire my car for a month or two in the summer assuming I can find a garage to paint in. Have painted with various methods before doing bicycles, and designs on longboards but didn't have a reference point for a car.

Sweet!! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 am 

No problem man. Be sure to post pics of your progress/results if you use this method.

www.g1teg.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 pm 

Yeah assuming I go ahead with it I will make a thread documenting it. The idea is budget love for my corolla, hah. Despite being 32 years old the interior is basically mint, however the outside is lacking and with that looking smoother, better, it will be a great little city ripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I agree with you on that one.. my 81 Corona, runs great, got a mint interior, but the paint is oxidized and peeling. I too, am looking for a solution to the ugly paint woes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:07 pm 

perfect link and job for us budget d.i.y's guys like muha...
if muscle car guys are using it then it should be good, cuz those guys are picky as FARK at times...

p.s. liked the way that curvier came out :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:26 pm 

God, no kidding on the muscle car guys comment. I was browsing obsessively about this today ever since I got the original link and one of the forums was a hot rod forum, they were ripping the whole idea most of them but guys who had done it were basically saying, "come to my shop, look at it, and then tell me it doesn't look good!"

I want to do something funky looking. Might as well right?! I really need to find someone in Vancouver willing to rent me a garage for a bit in the spring so I dont break the bank and can do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:56 pm 

If you do lay only primer on it, you shouldn't leave it on for too long because most primers are porous and will allow rust right through the primer.

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 pm 
JNC Fanatic

arsonist63086 wrote:

p.s. liked the way that curvier came out :tu:

curvier? you mean corvair :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:37 pm 

Youll have to sand alot with the roll on paint method.I would advive you to stay away from metalics because they might look funny.Perhaps laquer will be the most easier to sand/quality/costeffective pain you cann use in my opinion. Get the patxches well done, you are better off buying a welder and doing the patch, then painting and lubruicating the patch from behing.As the cheapest method, you should clean the metal( shiny bright) and then put fiberglass from behind( i dont like it either but its better than just bondo. Good luck let us know what you choose in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:59 pm 

eduardo i. wrote:
Youll have to sand alot with the roll on paint method.I would advive you to stay away from metalics because they might look funny.Perhaps laquer will be the most easier to sand/quality/costeffective pain you cann use in my opinion. Get the patxches well done, you are better off buying a welder and doing the patch, then painting and lubruicating the patch from behing.As the cheapest method, you should clean the metal( shiny bright) and then put fiberglass from behind( i dont like it either but its better than just bondo. Good luck let us know what you choose in the end.

Thanks, yeah. On my car there is only one hole in the fender. The rest are small areas of surface rust here and there, quite minor but enough to piss me off and make it look crappy.

There is just an insane amount of info online about this, here is another forum with lots of threads on guys projects. I will definitely be reading a LOT before jumping into it.

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/projects-f2/

The more I read about it the more I think that people who think it is a "myth" or a scam or something either have a) something to gain by promoting their other method, or dvd, or whatever, or b) are just unappreciative that some people will find it fun to take the time to do all the sanding and stuff that goes with the cheap method. I dont expect it to look really deep or glossy or amazing, but I just want a smooth uniform colour!

For me, I am coming up on 25 years old, no kids, I might as well take some of this time to do a project like this! Today I asked the guy at the paint shop and he said his buddies had been doing it in town and it worked great. That was enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:00 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I went on YouTube.. and one guy did a roll-on paint job on an EF Civic, and another guy did a 240SX. Both came out pretty good, and durable. I'm contemplating about doing it as well. Wonder if you get the same results with automotive paint, like you do with the Rustoleum. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I found this.. another way to paint your car on the cheap, and to make sure your car never rusts again. This guy painted his truck with truck bedliner paint. :)

Check it out:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticl ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 pm 

Bedliner Rolla.... hmm!!

I found a painting location already for the Tremclad method, this is coming together. I also got some rims for my car and am polishing. My Grandma TE31 is getting better and better. I wont be painting for at least a couple months. Separate thread to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm 

The only thing I'm skeptical of with the roll on paint is it's longevity and resistance to UV damage. I'd hate to see someone go to all that work to have faded paint in a year or two down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm 

If you read the build thread on the corvair that I posted, he has done updates over the years and it still looks great.

www.g1teg.org

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]