#
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 148 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 pm 

The car will look beautiful once you finish it!
Are you going to leave it the factory white? The boot looks worse than the bonnet in the pics :? What's the level of difficulty in locating parts for an old car in japan?

Post subject: Restore
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:46 pm 

I am probably not going to leave it white. I am pretty sure the car has been resprayed at least once... there are a lot of little imperfections in the paint that I doubt came from factory. Parts over here seem pretty far and between.

Post subject: Slow Progress
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:32 am 

Ok... So here is the update. Just got through painting the front grill and the rear tail light cover black to replace the greyish color that were already on them. Installed the Stereo under the passenger side dash right below the glove compartment. Pulled the chrome off about each of the doors to get to the rust that has shown up there. I am working on pulling off the rear window vents to clean up rust and to paint them. I will be taking the panels off the the car soon to start blasting and will see how that works out. The car looks pretty rough right now with primer spots and missing parts and pieces but it is progress. I am still working on the rust in the trunk area. Its pretty busy at work right now and will probably continue until after December but I will be trying to get as much done as possible. Here are a couple of pictures for now. I will get pictures of the stereo install up soon as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:06 am 

@ theunstated

nicely done...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:53 pm 

Argggh.....I hate rust, and they like to reside in all those hard to reach area..

Post subject: Rust...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:26 am 

Yeah... a lot of the rust that I have been finding isn't the rust that you can see from the outside... it is all rust that I have been finding since I started pulling trim and chrome off. I was expecting to find it but I guess I was just hoping that it wasn't as bad as it is... Oh well. Its a good project.

Post subject: Blasting
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:06 am 

Ok... So not much progress... pulled off the front right fender off and blasted part of it as well as the front valance between the two fenders. I am doing minor work to them the valance will be ready for primer soon but the fender I am going to have to find someone to weld in patches so it will be a while for that unless I can just find a replacement. I have officially decided that the trim that goes below the door is not going to be put back on all of the holes will be plugged because they present too much of a rust hazard. We are too busy in work for me to get anything done this week but here are the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:43 am 

Ok... a little update. The front lower valance is now primed.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:12 am 

A little update. I recieved my headlight conversion and Celica front chin spoiler. The headlight conversion will change the stock sealed beam headlights to H4 bulb headlights. There is going to be some fabrication work to make them fit the way that I want them to but I will keep you posted on the progress. The Celica chin spoiler is going to be pretty much the same deal. It is very good quality. It will take a little bit to get the fitment down the way I want it to fit. I may have found someone who will help with the rust repair, they are located in Yokohama Japan so it will have to get the car road worthy to get it down there ( put bumper, fender, etc back on). Probibly won't be able to do much for the rest of the week as far as work on it as we are in war games currently over here. I will keep you posted on the situation.

Post subject: Headlights Re-assemble
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:15 am 

An update. I just got back from Yokohama a little while. I talked to a guy down there that specializes in car restorations. He will be fixing the rust on the sides and the trunk areas as well as plugging the lower trim holes. It will cost 33000 Yen in USD it will $368.09 I will be doing the finishing body work on those areas once the patches are welded in. We decided to leave the hood and deck lid alone for now and I am looking into replacement for the time being. So if you have a hood or deck lid, or know someone who does or where one is in a junk yard let me know. I installed my headlight housings where the sealed beam headlights were and I am ironing out the final tweaks on them throughout the week. Also made the speaker brackets to replace the stock speakers with 4inch speakers and am working out the final problems with those. The car has been re-assembled for the time being for road travel. I will be dropping the car off new years day for the work being done to it. I will try to get pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 pm 

Little update
Here are the pictures. Here is the headlight swap as well. Someone gave me 4 rims free along with practically brand new tires. I know they arn't much but they are better than nothing. The car will be going down for work on New Years Eve Day to get some of the rust fixed. Let me know what you think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 am 

@theunstated
great piece of work.. i hope it will look great after finishing..
Free rims are looking really great :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:02 am 

Update: Just got back from dropping the car off in Yokohama Japan for rust repair. We will see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 am 
Administrator

theunstated wrote:
Update: Just got back from dropping the car off in Yokohama Japan for rust repair. We will see how it goes.

is the price they quoted you pretty reasonable?

Post subject: Price
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 pm 

It seems to be pretty reasonable considering the labor costs here in Japan. It is suppose to be around 33000 Japanese Yen which fluctuates depending on yen to dollar rate. Its around 90 Yen per dollar so around $366.00 for removing the rust damage, Making the patches, and welding them in. I will be doing the final finishing work.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 pm 

Hey thanks all for the interest in the project. Just got news yesterday from where I dropped the car off for work. It should be done today but I won't be able to pick it up until sometime next weekend because of work. He has fixed it up pretty nicely. I will have to do the final body work when it gets back but other than that it should be good to go. It is costing me 33000 Yen which is around $360 right now. I am looking at an auction for another one of these cars right now. Currently it is only 10000 Yen around $100 USD and it is located somewhere near by. It still has a few days on it still but I would love to pick it up as a donor car or possibly another project if there isn't anything wrong with it. It seems like the exterior may be in better condition than mine. Here are the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 am 

Going to go pick up my car from Yokohama tomorrow. The auction for the other MK II should end tomorrow or Sunday sometime. Right now its only up to 31500 Yen. Wish me luck everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:22 am 

@theunstated

Best of Luck... the car seems charming! $360 is cheap... here a MKII sedan in almost spoiled condition cost around $700..
i love 73-78 MKII...wish i could find MKII coupe here in pakistan... i haven't seen even a single coupe of this model...

Last edited by ansarghani on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 am 

theunstated wrote:
Going to go pick up my car from Yokohama tomorrow. The auction for the other MK II should end tomorrow or Sunday sometime. Right now its only up to 31500 Yen. Wish me luck everyone

Fantastic!

This car would cost at least 5000eur here in Portugal if you found one!
I saw one for sail in Ireland for 4500pounds. Thats a bargain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

thats cheap :)

if cars like these would be this cheap over here i would probably own 20 or so :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 148 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next