#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: 1982 Mazda 323 1500 wagon. (RWD)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:30 pm 

Hi guys been lurking for a while and only just registered.
My name is Russell and I live in the UK. This is my Mazda 323 1500 wagon...
She has been my daily driver for the last three years and is a cracking car.
Shes done a shade over forty thousand miles and drives lovely. There are a few issues like the crinkled rear quarter and one of the rear doors is starting to go but she is quite solid. The UK weather is starting to take its toll and plans are for a little light restoration soon.
The motor runs like a Swiss watch although the head gasket did go at around thirty thousand, I think this was due to it being used for short journeys for most of its life.
I know about Hirsts and two others, seems they are a bit thin on the ground over here, but she is such a lovely thing that I cant bear to part with it. I bought some bits off Richard (Mazdaman) a while back, what a nice guy to deal with. :)
Anyway thats me and my wagon. Ive been browsing around this site and there are some cracking motors on here.
Cheers
Russ

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 am 
JNC Fanatic

Welcome aboard Russ, gotta love the 323 estate, looks to be the deluxe with the flashy velour seats. I find them to be very comfy indeed for the age.

I too have had dealings with both Hirst and Rich and totally agree, honest guys. I do have a wagon that's going to the great beyond soon if you're really stuck. Just a pity we have so much water between us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:22 am 

Thanks mate, defo a pity on the distance thing.....bloody worlds the wrong shape! I love all the stuff rolling about in Oz....not jealous at all... I was due to buy the one Hirst has but he beat me to it, still hes a nice guy so its nice to know its gone to a good home.
I did'nt know mine was a "delux", there you go Ive learned something. Apparently I've got a rare engine in mine, 1415cc, is that correct? I know when I did the HG I got the wrong one, a 1500 one, the oil return from the head was in the wrong place and I failed to spot it which led to oil piddling down the back of the block. Eventually I fitted the right one and shes been fine. I use good quality antifreeze to try and avoid any problems with the head. Shes currently got the rear brakes from a 77 bug eye as I had a little accident and bent a half shaft. I managed to track down a pair of shafts, but did'nt have time to press off the bearings so I could use my correct finned drums and backplates. So thats another job which needs to be done when I can get access to a press. The rear quarter damage is annoying, it completely squashed the light apature and ripped out the light. I had to push the damage out with a tyre lever in order to fit a new rear light obtained from Rich. I was hoping to graft in a complete corner as I dont want it to be full of filler. It is surprisingly comfy, I'm six foot four and have done some long journeys and it just stays....well, comfy. Most modern sh*t boxes give me back ache before the end of the street lol.
Cheers
Russ
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:08 pm 

Wouldn't deal with that Hirst, he's no good!

Mine is the 1490cc engine and has a lot of interior differences from yours - like they tried to make it look a bit more like a BD generation 323, it has the same stripey seats etc. It's like some kind of interim model - last front, no blackening on the windowframes/B-pillars, but a lot of the old-style interior. Unless that's just how deluxe models look? We'll have to get them side-by-side at some point and figure out this weird riddle.

Apologies for the hijack, but hey B1500boy - this might sound like the most ridiculous request ever, what's the condition of the rear quarter bottoms like on that wagon of yours? If they're alright I'll pay good money for you to cut them off, stick them in a box and send them my way! Can supply further details on request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 pm 

.Apologies for the hijack, but hey B1500boy - this might sound like the most ridiculous request ever, what's the condition of the rear quarter bottoms like on that wagon of yours? If they're alright I'll pay good money for you to cut them off, stick them in a box and send them my way! Can supply further details on request.[/quote]

No probs.....I would love to see them side by side as Ive only ever seen one other in the flesh and that was at a banger meeting about six years ago. How about the complete left rear corner so I can have the sheet metal I need including the light apeture...then Hirst can have the lower bit for his. My lower rear quarters are mint, the one on the damaged side is only lightly scuffed so can easily be sorted. God I hate to think what the postage would cost :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:47 am 
JNC Fanatic

I'd honestly have to have a look for you, I'm in the middle of moving at the moment, so when I'm standing next to it I'll look see, from memory I don't think they were too bad, the nose cone area had a fairly large smack, but most metal seems good.

You're welcome to them, I'm not in it for the money, if I can help a Mazda on the other side of the planet, just postage is fine. Surface mail would certainly be cheaper, but I know buying a few bits from Rich you can expect two months or so before they show - I did think that boats had got a lot quicker than that these days!!

Yes mate, you do need to be careful with those headgaskets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:52 am 

That would be superb as I don't think there is any chance of finding any bits in the UK. I'd have to come to some sort of arrangement with that dodgy character Hirst over the postage.....dont think its going to be cheap.. There is a wagon, plus loads of other J-tin in a huge yard in Doha, in the Mid east......wish I could go there and have a root around. Apologies if you've seen this before.....
There are loads more pics like this on www.oldjapanesecar.com
Here is a pic of the only other wagon that I know about, was for sale a while back and looks lovely.....
Image :) :

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]