Some updates..... nothing major happening. Still trying to get the drivers front guard nice and straight! Putting bodylines back into panels is a nightmare!!
I hate panel work!!
Anyway, guard is almost done. Cut out a large rust patch and have welded a piece of fresh steel in it’s place, ground back and a bit of filler to tidy it up. Welded up indicator hole and ground back, just finishing cleaning up that area.
I have sourced to different guards to the ones that were originally on the car as they had been lipped and cut at the front edge for big wheels.
When you run small diameter wheels on an RX2, the cut section on the guard is VERY noticeable and looks terrible.
The drivers side guard that I sourced had been damaged at the front edge, and when it was repaired the body line was taken out and had a more rounded appearance. I have stripped this guard by hand and repaired as best I could around this area. With a bit of filler and a heap of sanding this area is starting to look good. Have to knock back one high spot and I think it will be pretty much done. Trying to get it back to factory looking minus the indicator has been a challenge!!
Stripping the guard
I ran out of argon while welding the indicator hole.....what a mess that makes!!! Removed the patch and went again......
As you can see, I have also fitted my NOS driver’s door. Should be a straight forward repair that one!! Has a small dent in it by the door handle!! Have had this door for years, still got the part number on it!! Cost me a pretty penny but.....
I Also bought a passenger guard from a fellow on another forum. Looks pretty bad, but whoever tried to repair it has just smashed filler all over it....mostly in places that don’t need it!!
Going to strip out the filler and start again. Should come out all good!!
Also trial fitting grill surround trim etc as we go and checking and fixing gaps. Passenger side needs some work!!
Just got to keep motivated and keep plodding along with this horrid task!! Bonnet and boot lid should be fairly easy, roof is pretty good, as are the doors, quarters not to bad. I think i will be cutting the bottom of the rear beaver off and making a new one though, it has been butchered around the exhaust outlet, and is a bit bent.
I cant wait to fire up the spray gun. Its been a while since i have painted a car, but will sneak in some practice on my Brother’s SR20DET Rodeo soon!!
Apart from that, I have restored a couple of bits like the grille and the rear garnish. The grill had cracked above the high beam lights (like they all do) so I had this plastic welded up and filled. A mate of a guy I work with is a plastic welder and did this for free!! What a champ!!
Restored the coffin and RE badge and put back on. I have painted the grille, rear trims, guard mirrors, wiper cowl vents on the car in a gunmetal grey (actually a Holden colour). About to send my rims off to the blasters, and then they will be painted to match.
Trying to source a chrome/zinc plater that doesn’t charge in body parts to get a few bits zinced and get the tail light rings re-chromed. We had a local place here that did a great job and was well priced, but have unfortunately closed. I rang another mob and they want $250 to zinc a 4 litre ice cream container of bolts and brackets!!
The grille and garnish
To finish out, I have boxed out my boot for a tidier than factory look. The battery, washer bottle and spare wheel will live in here. Has a false back as well. No subs or amps in this one!! Can’t decide if I want to carpet or vinyl it yet, but have plenty of time to ponder that!!
Well that’s about it for now, will update the bodywork again soon.
Rockin' the 7 in a street near you.....