#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Daihatsu Charade G10 facelift 1981
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:16 pm 

Hy

My name ist Rainer and I'm a Daihatsu Fan since 1993 where I buy my first Daihatsu (a Daihatsu Charade G102s) from 1991.

Sometimes if you are a fan of a brand you come up with the idea that you want to have a historic car of your brand as it does in my case.

I buyed the car at ebay, as I contact the last registered owner within the car papers the women who answered the phone was very amazed that I could buy the car. She, the mother of the owner, tell me that he gave the car to a big Ford Dealer to scrap while they buy a new car.

Between the ebay seller sold the car at ebay he gave the car to a movie producer who use it for a very short scene whitin an german TV series.

I buy it for 300,- euro. Here you can see the ebay page where I buy it

http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10/ebay_charade.pdf

But it is all in german language, sorry for that.

After a complete restoring....

see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DTGN3VUTFs

I register it as historical car in Austria, so I got a certificate from Daihatsu that my car is builde in December 1980, first registering in Austria was in September 1981.

I hope you can enjoy the movie from youtube, if not you can get it also here: http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2614794

If made about 2000 pictures while restoring my car and print out about 600 pics and put it to a picture album. I have removed VERY screw of that car and rebuild it and repair it.....

Greetings

Rainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:47 pm 
Administrator

Hi Rainer, welcome to JNC! I must say, that is an amazing job you did on your Daihatsu! Great video, you captured perfectly what it's like to really love a car. Thanks for rescuing it. Also, I love the snub to the Aston Martin showroom at the end! :)

I'm curious, how is the classic Japanese car scene in Austria? Were there a lot of old Japanese cars at the historic car show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 pm 

Hi Ben

Thank you very much for welcome me :)

There are only a few friends of my who love's old japanese cars. Most peoples loughes if you tell them that you found a communtiy as I did for old japanese cars. Last year we go to the biggest Austrian historical car show the "Oldtimermesse" in Tulln near vienna, and it was very good vibrations there. Okay there where also peoples who loughes about our cars or call out "what does THOSE cars here" but most of the peoples knows the cars and got sometimes wet eyes if they see it.

But japanese cars don't have ANY market here, so you can restore it if you want, but you never can sell it for a proper price, you can do it only for yourself. You restore it and you own it, for ever.... Some idiots like me does'nt want to sell here cars, they must be crazy ;)

Greetings

Rainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:13 pm 

That's so cool! I watched the restoration video, you really have put a lot of work into this car. It's amazing to see a car like that receive a full restoration.

The value thing is the same for most old Japanese cars in the UK too. If I did a full restoration of my Charmant and made it perfect, it would only be worth about £1500 (2100 EUR).

Oh, Eddie off this forum has a G10 prefacelift which belongs to his girlfriend Bernie. It's a very nice car and was stored away for a few years I think:

You should bring your Charade to the Netherlands on July 2008! Some of us from the UK will be going to Japan Classic Sunday, it would be great if we could get some people from other places in Europe to come along. It could be quite a long drive for you, though! Details here if you're interested: viewtopic.php?t=629

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:38 pm 

Thank you Hirst :)

I have a few pics left on http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10.htm

The point for that meeting is about 1300 km each way away from me, so this is too much to drive it with the G10´. But I want to keep it in my mind so maybe I can made a train pick-up to drive to Netherland.

We will see!

Greetings

Rainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:16 am 

Wow--that's some serious love/dedication.

A pure labor of love that turned out beautifully.

Great job. :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:53 pm 

Wow rainer, that's a brilliant restoration! Good to see somebody else who has an early Charade! Early Charades are very scarce here, in fact I haven't seen another G10 model other than my girlfriends one other than in pictures. I bought this G10 off ebay too at the end of last year and gave it to my girlfriend for christmas. She likes old Japanese cars and especially small ones. The one I bought is in quite good condition so it doesn't really need fully restoring but like yours it has many small dents and a few scrapes so it will need repainting some time. I think it was owned by an elderly lady originally.

Are G10 models very rare where you live? Can you get parts for your car okay? It seems to be quite difficult to find parts here.

Here is a picture of my girlfriends G10...

-Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:24 pm 

Hy Eddi

Thank you very very much!

Currently I don't have issue's to get parts for my Charade, but I think I have to tell you that I maybe have the best Daihatsu Agent, he has a VERY big stock with old parts, so if you need parts exept for bumpers. Most Parts are still avaiable here in Austria. Maybe I can help you.

My Agent is: www.daihatsu-reindl.at if you cannot get in contact with him I will help you.

Did I see it right that your Girlfriends Charade lost some wheel hub's like this:

Would you need one or two wheel hubs? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:05 am 

Hi Rainer,

I tried a Daihatsu dealer here and they couldn't get my any of the parts I needed :cry: It's fortunate that not many parts are needed for our car but you are correct about the wheel center caps. There are two missing. The only other parts that it needs are a right hand tail light lens as the one on it is cracked and has been repaired with some tape and one of the little inside door lock buttons is missing.

If you could supply me a couple of wheel caps that would be great. Let me know how much to pay you for for them!

Do you have pictures from your restoration online somewhere?

-Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 pm 

You should try to find a better Daihatsu Agent, the major problem with the G10 parts is that the partnumbers have been changed 2 or some part 3 times, so only very good dealers they have all the updates from Daihatsu could "recalculate" the old partnumbers to the new one.

Technical spare parts are nearly ALL avaiable, if your dealer told you that it is not so he is not able to identify the right partnumber.

If you gave me your partslist I can help you to give it to Mr. Reindl, he can surly helps you for the most parts.

For this I could tell your very strange things....

As you maybe has seen on the video I damaged my engine, I don't had a second CB20 engine left "only" one CB23 I had buyed on ebay too.

The crank shaft within my CB20 engine is from the CB23 engine, the timingskills are the same, but at the ends of the crank shaft the diameter of the CB23 crank shaft is bigger than the crank shaft from the CB20 engine, so I tried to change the coverage, but here's the point where the thicker crank shaft does'nt fit :( I meant okay, get the coverage from the CB23 engine..... but the engine block is different from the CB20 to the CB23.....

What kind of pictures do you search for?

Here are the most common pictures from the restore.....

I buy my Charade at ebay :)

http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10/ebay_charade.pdf

Thats the pics from ebay

a little bit rust "down under"

Cylinderhead reworked :)

Take a look at the piston rod bearing on the right side...

on this (left) piston...
Imagex
so sweat and small :)

NO RUST, this is only 25 year old wax

ImageNO RUST, this is only 25 year old wax
a little bit rust inside was very easy to remove.

Brand new "Old stock"

2 new (old stock) direction indicators

My after one day working an mY Charade...

New brakelines

a new break repair kit

towing to the first "offical" check

I made about 1500 pics and give about 550 pics to my "real" photoalbum, so it would be good if we could sometimes meet us, it is easier :)

The two wheel center caps I will spen to you (or to your Charade for "lease", that means so long as you or your girlfriend own your Charade it is free for you :) )

You can give me also a spare-part-list for new parts, and I get it from my dealer and send it to you including the 2 wheel caps :)

Sounds this good for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:34 pm 

Here two pics from a G10 from our friends from Switzerland.

This Charade has also a aircondition!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 pm 

Ah, those pictures of you restoration are exactly what i wanted to see. It is interesting to study the stucture and design of the car when it's stipped apart. Most of the information I can get from studying your pictures will help me on our car sometime in the future. One day i would love to restore it to perfection! Your paintwork is amazing on your car. Very nice shine!

That is a very kind offer with regard to the parts. We will always have this G10. It is a special car and one of the more interesting cars we have had. It's good fun to drive and makes a wonderful noise! I won't be around over the weekend but on Monday I plane to do some work on it and prepare it for storage over the winter. When I do that I will look around it to see if there are any other parts missing or needed and prepare a list.

Have you managed to get hold of a parts catalog or microfiche? I tried but the dealer here refused to let me buy one, even though they had a spare :roll:

Is the CB23 engine the unit fitted to G11 Charade? I have a G11 Charade that will go for scrap but I was thinking of saving the engine and gearbox as it is fine. Do you know if the gearbox is the same? I need to check the linkage and maybe the gearbox on ours as it is sometimes very difficult to select 5th gear. Other times it goes into 5th really easily!

That G10 from Switzerland is beautiful. I'm not sure if the 2 door model was sold here. I have never seen a picture of one with a UK registration on it. Do you know what year that one is?

-Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 pm 

Hy :)

The CB23 Gearbox (engine from the G100) will NOT fit into our G10, the G11 Charade has the CB22 engine, but I think it will also NOT fit.

The main differences between the CB20 an CB23 Gearbox is that the gear shift. The G10 gearbox is nearly complete "open" till the knob where you connect it to your gearbox shift bar.

The gearbox is never complete dry, it always lost a bit of gearbox oil!

What you have is typically for the 5 speed gearbox. Have you checked the gearbox oil? Have you tried to change it? But in most cases you have to replace or complete repair the gearbox. The 5th gear had a bad oil provision. So if you do not change periodical the gearbox oil you got damages as you have been seen on your own one.

But at first you should change the gearbox-oil and check the level!

We can should get to exchange our knowledge, so we had about 5 G10 owner's within the www.daihatsu-forum.de There we have owners from Austria/Germany and the Netherlands. So I'm sure we can get a fix for your issue!

The G10 from our friends from Switzerland is from 1979 (date of frist street registration).

I could not imagine that the runabout (G10 3 door) is never been sold in UK, I will check this out!

Did you got the workshop manual from my site?

Here is the link to the english version!

http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10/Technica ... adeG10.pdf

(right click and choose "save as") :)

And here a lot of broschures from all across the world!

http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10/prospekt ... mmlung.doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:08 pm 

PS: Don't worry about the copyright from the origin Daihatu Workshop manuals I got an agreement with Daihatsu that I authorized to distribute this manuals "for free" for all G10 owners that they are able to restore or repair there G10's! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:40 pm 

I'm not sure if the problem is the gearbox or the linkage. When driving, if you have the car in 4th and wobble the gearstick from side to side, sometimes it has a lot of movement, and sometimes it does. When it's feeling loose is when it won't go into 5th. When it's feeling tighter it goes straight in. If the lever feels loose in 4th, I can wobble it from side to side for a bit and after a bit it will suddenly feel less slack. When that happens I know it will go into gear fine. It's a strange problem.

When it is in 5th the gearbox is quiet but it is a little bit noisy in 4th so it could still be worn out, even if the shifting problem is the lever. I will inspect it and if I cannot find a problem with the gear linkage I will take the gearbox and strip it apart to look. I need to install a new clutch soon anyway.

Thankyou for the workshop manual!!! I have been trying to find one here with no sucess at all. That is going to be so useful!

Those brochure scans are great! I might have some stuff I can scan and send to you. I have a Japanese road test in Car Grafic magazine in 1977. It is in japanese but has a small summary in English. I will have a look and see what else I have.

-Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:04 pm 

In my opinion and what you told me it is the linkage.

But please check also the gearbox oil level, there is a little oil dipstick on the left side if you a standing before the car's engineroom, directly on the gearbox. If should be a light yellow fluid and it must be at the max. mark at the oil dipstick. If the fluid is dark you should change it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:24 pm 

I create a new video from the restore. It contains MUCH more pictures then ever before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPIM98dqhGg

enjoy it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:00 pm 
Hello

I was also restoing a G-10 Charade here in Iceland.

Nice to know that there are other crasy people like me.

This is my car, but i have finished putting the lists on the sides.

Regards Gunnar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:39 pm 

Hey Gunnar

I know your car, this was they light-grey one before, right? The last time we spoke together your G10 was unpainted. :)

It is really great that you also registered here.

Regards

Rainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:11 am 
Mr_Daihatsu wrote:
Hey Gunnar

I know your car, this was they light-grey one before, right? The last time we spoke together your G10 was unpainted. :)

It is really great that you also registered here.

Regards

Rainer

yes that's me

Sorry for posting in your thread.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next