#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 146 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:34 am 

There is nothing wrong with using motorcycle carburetors. However, it is the farthest thing possible from bolt-on and go. Done right...

...it's great. I think Jeff will be sorely disappointed when he goes to use his downdraft CBR900RR carbs in an automotive sidedraft application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:19 am 

"Jeff" is Kingtoy..not griffinwings...when griffinwings mentioned the motorcycle carb thing I asked jeff what he knew about it wich wasn't much except it's more commonly done overseas...That's all. I don't want to use motorcycle carbs, but thanks anyway. rather not discuss the subject anymore on this thread, we could probably find another part of the forum to hold that debate. Thanks.

Hopefully my phone will ring in the next day or so and the machine shop will say come get your head. I'll post some pictures of the completed head when I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 am 

Sorry about the thread hijack. :(

We now return you to your regularly scheduled 20R/22R hybrid. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:49 pm 

No worries BigSteve... :)

I got tired of waiting on the machine shop to call me so I called them today...low and behold my head was ready. So this is a pretty awesome day really. I now have all I need to complete this engine and drop it in. I can't wait to hear it fire up....I keep daydreaming of what driving it down the street or taking it to a meet might be like...that's the day I will finally be cool.... 8)

can't wait to get out there and bolt it on...more pics when that happens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:52 pm 

Are you going to use the iron 20R rockers or aluminum 22R ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:18 pm 

It's getting the aluminum rockers. I just wich I'd have had the money to put into the big valve seats for the OS stainless valves. I bought the SS valves years ago and have had them on the shelf all this time. the machine shop wanted 25 per seat to install them...kinda steep considering I bought a new set of stock valves for 40 I think and the whole head assembly, cleaning and surfacing cost 85. Maybe later on the big valves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:33 pm 

I managed to get out to the garage last night to do a bit more on the engoine. Though it was time to drop the head on this thing. After dropping the head on I find my timing chain is too short. I thought "How could this be?" It's a double row chain on an early 22r block with 20r head right?

Turns out this chain is a 96 link double row! Highly unusual! As far as I know LCE is the only one that makes a 96 link double row chain. This timing set is a leftover from the previous owner of my house who when he moved out left me this early 22r block,rods,pistons etc, including this timing set.....I never would have guessed this was a 96 link chain and I'd still be confused as heck had I not counted the links!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 pm 

You probably know this already, but the chain you have is for the 85+ short deck motor. TRD made a double roller conversion kit in the past as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:04 am 

yeah, but I didn't know who all made the different chains. I called LCE and they claim they were the only ones to have made one....but i suppose he may not have known about the TRD chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 pm 

I bought a Racing Development kit back in '93 for a '87 truck I had at the time. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:24 am 

I tried to put things together the other day only to find out that to my surprise I had a Late 22r double row chain!...I had just assumed since it was a double row it was an early R chain but an hour of frustration and second guessing myself followed by 30 seconds of counting the links I was proved wrong. :oops:

So I ordered the right chain and it went on like butter. I reassembled the timing cover and dropped the head on and now it just needs to have the cam bearings and timing cover torqued, then put the rockers on and torque down the head, then it's on to the manifolds. I'll get some pics up tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 pm 

finally got around to going making the journey to the bodyshop to get all the sheetmetal and glass n' junk. Amazing the state inpesction sticker on the windshield says it was issued 4-11-03, I know it was only a few months later that it was torn apart to the state it's in now....been a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:46 pm 

Got 4 tires and wheels under the celica today one had a flat so I plugged it, Managed to order my seat covers today and get the trunk lid hung. Probably going to hang the fenders in the morning. can't wait for it to start looking like a car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:03 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Hopefully you can get that bastard painted soon. :D

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:25 am 

yes, yes it is a bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:32 pm 

Spent the day out in the garage with the boy bolting on sheetmetal and sortof doing a test fit of the panels. so far it seems to line up pretty good. will need some tweaking here and there. still needs to be blocked out before paint, but you get the idea from the pics where we're at so far. nice to see it starting to look like a car again.

My wife even seemed like she could see some potential...that or she was just glad to see it looking different than it has in the last 7 years. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 am 
JNC Fanatic

WOW :shock: , you have really made some progress this weekend. It is looking really good, i'm starting to get jazzed for you.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:29 am 

Well, now that the sheet metal is up off the floor and out of the way for the moment I'm going to shift my focus to the drive train and work on getting the engine finished. working on the car will be so much more pleasant when the engine is in and I can get rid of the engine lift and stand. It will just making manuvering around the car alot easier. The engine lift has been positioned over the engine bay for so many years, it's hard to picture it gone...I almost think of it as part of the car. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:56 pm 

The wife is out of town 'til Friday. That gives me a couple days to tinker around on the engine. I managed to get all the timing cover bolts sorted out and in place and all torqued down. Also put the water pipes on too. At this point the engine is completeminus the pulley from the deck down. I just need to round up the head bolts and a new head gasket since I screwed this one up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:19 pm 

I ordered a set of reproduction seat covers off ebay a week ago. Some guy out of Hong Kong. Under $300 for 6 pieces front and rear covers including shipping..... Man, I was leery about how they would look. They showed up fast, and I was nervous opening the box because it seemed small for having a 6 piece set in it, plus I hoped they would be good quality etc....

I opened the box and laid out all the pieces, and aside from there being a few places where they didn't clean off their markings for dimentions from sewing them... I am very impressed. Great quality Vinyl, excellent padding sewn in, even sewed a pocket on the backs of the front seats. I can't wait to put them on. They are'nt EXACTLY like the originals....like the ribbing in the new seats is horizontal rather than vertical and the material is of a better quality, but for my money these look excellent. Will post some pics soon. We do embroidery at work so I may embroider something into these...maybe the dragon emblem into the back of the headrests... ?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 146 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next