#
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 pm 

Does your crown have coil springs in the rear also? I recently purchased a 70 crown and am trying to figure out how to lower it with out cutting the stock springs. I hear some camaro stuff fits. What did zero garage do to lower her 2"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 pm 

CharlieBucket wrote:
That's cool man, like i said i can get a few down here. I have been considering a 1uzfe, it just needs a V8 right!! But a 7mgte is a great option also, who knows. Or a 2jz...can't afford that!

I'd recommend the 1UZ myself, here in San Diego you see them a lot, might be the same back in Georgia, came in Soarers, there's a way to also convert them to Manual as well, there was a guy doing this to AE86 Corolla with manual tranny conversion and ITBs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm 

CharlieBucket wrote:
Or a 2jz...can't afford that!

FWIW, 1JZ's are cheap. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:15 am 

TE37JAKE wrote:
Does your crown have coil springs in the rear also? I recently purchased a 70 crown and am trying to figure out how to lower it with out cutting the stock springs. I hear some camaro stuff fits. What did zero garage do to lower her 2"?

Heated, i know it's not the best, but these guys really got it down to a science, rides nice. plus this is just stage 1 for this car. After i ride around some and enjoy it, i want to do a full restoration on it. But i need time/$$$/garage!

On the swap issue, the 1jz is very temping, even found some VVT 1jz turbo motors in atl for $1500. i like the idea of the 1UZ because the car just looks right for a V8, but it being one of the only manual crown ms55 i have seen, i have to keep it manual. then there is the whole adaptor kit, $$$ So it all depends on what i find. Of course if we could just find a new 2m oil pump, we would just drop the 5m in that's ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:51 pm 

TE37JAKE wrote:

64-67 chevelle springs work well in the front, also chevelle or full-size 64-96 chevy shocks work in the front. We put 6-cylinder chevelle springs on one crown and chopped them down two coils for the right stance. Dont know bout the rear though since my wagon has leafs in the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:14 pm 

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to take some measurements and see what I can come up with for the rear and start a project build thread soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 pm 

smuige wrote:
TE37JAKE wrote:

64-67 chevelle springs work well in the front, also chevelle or full-size 64-96 chevy shocks work in the front. We put 6-cylinder chevelle springs on one crown and chopped them down two coils for the right stance. Dont know bout the rear though since my wagon has leafs in the back.

Ok I found a bit of info you guys might be interested in.

You can get new coil springs for the v6 chevelle and I usually use Rock Auto and their info says that the front springs have dimensions of Inside Diameter=3.625" Wire Diameter=.625" Free Height=17.99" Load height=11"} and are sold in pairs for around $60. Now my manual for the crown says that stock springs have a free length of 17.7" and compressed length of 10.7" which is nearly identical to the stock chevelle spring . I will do some more research and probably test out my theory, when I find something for the rear and i'll let you know what I find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 am 

Nice info man, i always like stuff like this even if i dont use it for a while. Excuse me if i missed the obvious here, but whats the advantage of the chevelle stuff? i mean it fits, so thats cool but is it better? if you dont cut them the car will sit slightly higher. are they just more heavy duty, resulting in a better ride when cut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:33 pm 

Well, i think availability is the the key word, seen any crown springs for sale lately? Chevelle springs are cheap, countless spring rates available six cylinder, small block and bigblock for a seriously stiff ride. Same thing about the chevy shocks, dirt cheap and unlimited brands available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:34 pm 

smuige wrote:
Well, i think availability is the the key word, seen any crown springs for sale lately? Chevelle springs are cheap, countless spring rates available six cylinder, small block and bigblock for a seriously stiff ride. Same thing about the chevy shocks, dirt cheap and unlimited brands available.

You got it! Plus some companies sell lowering springs for that car which means you don't have to cut them.

And I measured the rear springs and they are approx 5" ID, the manual says they are 13.3" free length and 8.15" compressed. the free measurement seems to be accurate but the compressed was more like 9-10" but it was hard to get exact and like some of the other rear springs the coil diameter gets smaller at the bottom and that was like 3.5ish"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:30 pm 
Administrator

Props for not cutting the originals :tu:

I think you'll find a lot of domestic stuff crosses over. My Cressida wagon (and probably many solid rear axle Toyotas) have rear suspension parts cross-listed with 1st gen Camaros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 am 

Ahh of course, availibility. Even as i upgrade this car, i am keeping every tiny/rusty piece with the hope of someday having a tons a money and doing a full stock restore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:45 am 

Another trick i forgot to mention, the idler arm on the crown can be fixed using chevelle 64-72 upper control arm poly bushes. You cant buy an original anywhere but with a piece of correct diameter pipe and cut down chevelle bushes its like brand new again.
Strut rod bushes can be replaced with ca. 1969 dodge charger bushes if the frame is ground down a little.

This is the advantage of having different projects lying around, playing around with different parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 pm 
Administrator

This is all very good info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:36 am 

If I were you I keep the 2m, as it is still there. Keep it original as much as possible. Any plans for colour?

Btw here's a 1jzg powered Ms55. Enjoy :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tk5ZESydAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 pm 

i got a great deal today on some wheels for the crown. Cool 5--lug wheels are hard to find, plus i have to use at least 16" with my new brakes. i happened to find some american racing wheels today from an older scca racer for 25 bucks a wheel. 2 of these wheels are brand new and even the one mesh that was used couldn't of seen the track more than once. badnews is he only had 3 of the mesh and 2 of the 5-spokes. So if anyone knows where to score one of these 16x8 meshies in 5-lug please let me know! i took them dome to garage zero for a test fit. Also wondering if either of these wheels have names or nick-names that would make searching for more easier.
This is the one meshie that was used, very ckean on the backside with a weight duct tape on for a race
came in the original boxes
check this sticker, removed by end user only! i gues that is me after 12 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:36 am 

that's a good steal! the mesh ones look better on the crown imo; but cleaning them must be a pain in the a**!!
good luck in finding the fourth wheel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 pm 
Administrator

I think either one would go well with the Crown. Nice find!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:34 am 

Thanks! I have figured out the 5-spokes are Ronal R9, popular with starion/ mercedes/mustang/camaro/ So the search begins, for 2 Ronal r9's, and 1 American Racing Mesh. of course as a friend pointed out one enkei 92 in 16x8 5-lug would work also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm 

why bother looking to make a set.....

put one pair on the front and the other pair up the back.

sorted. :mrgreen:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next