More A pillar updates... taking a little longer than anticipated...
Started trimming the replacement cowl section, you can see its not perfect.
Still trimming away, you can see from the backside some old repairs, this is pretty common for these cars... rust and bad repairs !
Pic 1 you can see some of the old repairs, a combination of filler and brazing work. These repairs failed to address the rear side so its rusted up again. Pic 2 seam sealed around the pilllar, this was also done from the factory.
Trial fitting, you'll notice I decided to cut off the windscreen channel rather than attempt to repair it. The replacement corner section that I made will need to be further modified. You can see the differences between old and new. Lots of hours will be spent here. The black marker is where I will start stretching the new corner to shape as the entire upright part of the channel section is a convex shape from forming the corner.
Forming a tuck (which stretches the metal) and is then beaten out. This is done several times until I remove the convex shape from the upright part of the corner channel.
Pic 1 you can see the end starting to flare out. Pic 2, I trying to change the shape of the corner to be squarer.
Hammer Dolly work, the corner is getting squarer...
Th reverse side of the cowl will need to be blasted clean, pic 2 getting there shape wise.
The spare cowl has been trimmed to fit and has been blasted ready for welding of the new corner. Will blast the entire panel once welding the corner is done.
Finally done, stripped back part of the pillar where it will be welded to the cowl. It will be coated in weld through primer. Pic 2, blasted and treated, and rear side sealed... ready for welding.
Welder started playing up while tacking in place. Before it completely died I started to run small welds. Turning out quite good ! Unfortunately couldnt finish it, MIG wire feed electronics died
Since the MIG died I thought I'd take a look at the opposite side. No where near as bad, Im hoping the pillar is OK, but wont know until I remove part of the cowl which is still original sheet metal aside from the corner.
My new project fixing some basic electronics... looks like the relay and diode have died. Ive been talking about replacing the MIG for 2 years now.... maybe its time !
Well almost there with the right A pillar, all the hard work is done requires another 30 minutes. This whole exercise has taken alot longer than expected. I really hope the the left side doesnt need the same amount of work. This post might make some of you think next time you see pilar rust in an Rx3