I've made a mental list of things to do:
1. Strip the spares car of its chrome parts and other bits that I want
2. Get the spares car out of my driveway and either lob it at my friends farm or off for scrap
3. Get the motor painted up
4. Get the surface rust sorted in the green wagon engine bay, tidy up the wiring and drop the motor in
5. Sort out the rear fuel pump bracket
6. Get my suspension sorted in the back. Superpro bushes for the top of the Shackle don't fit, so they're going back, the other two bushes are on backorder
7. The mailroom here at work has lost my extractors, so I have to sort that out.
8. Cut some small rust bubbles out of the bottoms of the doors, gut the doors and add some drainholes
9. Refit the rear interior to see where I can put ancillary sockets to run a car fridge and battery charger
10. Sort out the RX-4 tailgate wiring
11. Source tie rod ends and front suspension bushes
12. Source either KYB or Koni shock aborbsers for all four corners.
This was the white parts car off ebay with the dodgy brakes:
I nabbed the steel wheels and front grille.
It was 5 minutes from my house and I used to see it every day. Unfortunately the past owner drove it into the ground and it is pretty much only good for parts.
Painted engine mounts. I'm leaving off the original sump guard as it is only very thin stamped steel. I'll be fitting an alloy one instead.
The poor parts car waiting to get stripped
Parts car grille bottom, grille off the white parts car on top. I'm fitting the lower one.
Painting up the grille screws from the white car. The yellow one had a mishmash of screws and bolts holding the grille on.
The plastic fuel pump cover that goes under the car. It was covered in the same sort of underbody sealant that yellow car was covered with (it came off the yellow car). Unfortunately it had started to peel off, so I bought a spray can of deadener and gave it a few quick coats. Hopefully this stops any rocks breaking the plastic.
Mocking up the fuel pump bracket
The boss checking my progress while I was checking my measurements for the umpteenth time
Voila. Took this off to work and the bracket is currently getting cut and drilled to suit in one of the workshops here at work.
The other job I had on the go was getting the crossmember and steering linkage out of the yellow parts car, along with the struts. The struts came out pretty easily and all I have to do now is rebuild the brakes and source some shock absorbers.
As for the front crossmember, one of the swaybar shackle bolts was rusted in and one of the crossmember nut/bolt was also rusted on tight (and smeared with sealant).
So to get to this stage
Older mazdas have 4 bolts passing down through the tops of the chassis rails in the engine bay. The threads poke out through the bottom of the rails and the crossmember goes over these and then a nut holds the crossmember on each bolt.
I cut the offending bolthead off
Used a bit of gentle persuasion and kind words beginning with F, C and A
Fought the grime and muck that had built up on the Pitman arm and Idler arm and undid the castelated nuts
The stubborn nut still attached to the bolt.
A few big hits with the hammer and then:
Slid the crossmember and steering out. I've started painting up the crossmember and I've got someone looking for new inner and outer tie rod ends.
Once the crossmember is painted, I'll give the green car's engine bay a quick tidy up, bolt the crossmember in and get the engine in and then I might feel like I'm actually bolting stuff together rather than taking everything apart!