#
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Mystery Wheels!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:23 am 

Hi, I'm new here. I actually don't own a Japanese car at the moment, but I have two nostalgic ones! :lol:

So here is my question. I bought my 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Convertible last year, and cannot figure out what the wheels are. I have posted threads just like this on no less than 5 car forums, and have gotten no results.

The history: VW's never came with these wheels. I am 152% sure of this :wink: If you're a VW enthusiast you'll get the hidden message! haha

In my search for the ID of these wheels, I have seen them on one other car: a Datsun 510. It showed up in a random slide show my teacher showed the class, and besides being a generally unpleasant guy, he could not tell me any information about the photo- where he got it, URL, etc. So basically the two precious leads I got went cold quickly.

Anyway here are the pix.

My rabbit with the wheels in question.

photo with the slide and my wheel for comparison

here is a picture of the insides, with all the markings. I cleaned off the road gunk as best I could.
high res:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2594/3733305845_0cc19cf332_o.jpg

pic

They are 13" rims, 5.5" wide, and made of alloy. 4x100 bolt pattern. Basically the same specs as the stock steelies, though I'm not sure about the offset.

As you can see, they are not common rims at all. I am just wondering if anyone here has any info at all on them. Thanks for looking! :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:42 am 

Sorry, don't know... Slappy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:23 pm 

KurumaOtaku wrote:
Sorry, don't know... Slappy?

You got me, i have noooooo idea.

Honestly, they look like oem wheels from another car model.

Happy searching

http://www.wheelcollision.com/cta.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:54 pm 

I would guess the "C.S.I." on the wheels is for Carroll Shelby? What does it say at the bottom? That word got cut off in the photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
I would guess the "C.S.I." on the wheels is for Carroll Shelby? What does it say at the bottom? That word got cut off in the photo.

I just did a quick search and the only thing I can come up with is Carol Shelby Industries... wikipedia says that in the early 80s C.S.I. made some performance wheels for SAAB under contract. :shock: :shock: I'd say that's the best bet, maybe try some classic SAAB forums? I never found any pictures of your exact wheels, but the other ones I saw are in the same style..

current project: 82' s11 200sx (ka24e swap)
current daily: 89' integra RS 5-door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:34 pm 

Unless they're some kind of aftermarket part, they didnt come on saabs. The 99 and 900 were never offered with the wheels and they dont seem to be Saab's style. A guy on my mk1 golf forum says CSI did stuff for TRD, but I looked previously and didnt find anything... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:00 pm 

Sven7 wrote:
A guy on my mk1 golf forum says CSI did stuff for TRD, but I looked previously and didnt find anything... :(

FWIW, CSI provided a lot of different wheels to several OEMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:25 am 

American Racing Equipment wheels. I remember seeing similar one in Super Shops stores when they were around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:32 pm 

kutza wrote:
American Racing Equipment wheels. I remember seeing similar one in Super Shops stores when they were around.

How sure are you? Do you know of any brochures or literature that would show them? :D

I'll send them an email and see what's up

edit: There is no way to contact the company. It only lets me contact a dealer. But I dont want to ask a dealer about this cause they'll have no damn idea. Maybe they can ask the company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 am 
JNC Fanatic

I think I saw your car at Chilifest a week or two ago, yes? :lol:

I don't know what your wheels are, but I'm pretty certain they're aftermarket. :tu:

Post subject: Re: Mystery Wheels!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:25 pm 

Sven7 wrote:
here is a picture of the insides, with all the markings. I cleaned off the road gunk as best I could.
high res:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2594/3733305845_0cc19cf332_o.jpg

pic

They are 13" rims, 5.5" wide, and made of alloy. 4x100 bolt pattern. Basically the same specs as the stock steelies, though I'm not sure about the offset.

As you can see, they are not common rims at all. I am just wondering if anyone here has any info at all on them. Thanks for looking! :tu: :mrgreen:

If the # next to the bolt hole is 10 (ten), then they will be A.R.E. wheels. Why ? you ask, since that is a the bolt pattern code for A.R.E .wheels with 4x100 pattern. You may have very little luck getting help from email from ARE now, since they have been baught out by Wheel Pros, and run by their management. You could have more luck posting the picture on Ex-employees group Facebook page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
I think I saw your car at Chilifest a week or two ago, yes? :lol:

I don't know what your wheels are, but I'm pretty certain they're aftermarket. :tu:

Yeah I was there. What were you driving? :tu: I'm on MIVE with the same screenname

kutza wrote:
If the # next to the bolt hole is 10 (ten), then they will be A.R.E. wheels. Why ? you ask, since that is a the bolt pattern code for A.R.E .wheels with 4x100 pattern. You may have very little luck getting help from email from ARE now, since they have been baught out by Wheel Pros, and run by their management. You could have more luck posting the picture on Ex-employees group Facebook page.

I'll have to take a look there; thanks!

and... here's a pic without the edge cut off.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3733306883_0da446fb6f_o.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:35 pm 

Well I wrote a letter to Performance VW magazine; maybe they'll publish it and a reader can help me. *crosses fingers*

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]