#
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: HELP: RX2 12A TD rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:46 am 

I got a compression problem with my around 1973 12A Twin Dizzy engine (TCP type). Although bought new, after 3,5 thousand km the engine will be opened up and inspected. New gaskets and quite probably some of the seals will be changed. Unfortunately I only got the US model parts catalog, bought from ebay. Some of the engine features were different at other countries.
I kindly ask if someone owns an RX2 parts catalog of the pre 1974 model to scan for me the housing and rotor pages (non US models). European, J, AU+NZ, South Africa and other markets parts books are OK.

Thanks in advance
Lambros Baltsiotis
Greece

Last edited by baltsiotis on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:30 pm 

baltsiotis, I'd be very surprised if the engine internals are any different between the US and other markets. I dont have a parts manual, but can tell you the following should be available.

-non oversize corner seals
-corner seal springs
-T/D oil control rings are NA (metal rings), Rx7 and Rx8 are the recommended replacement. The rubber inserts will have to be Rx7/8, although I hear that Rx8 can make a TD motor a little smokey on startup. Got this info from my Mazda outlet.
- TD gasket kits are available (late 10a/12a should be the same)
- exhaust gaskets
- 6mm carbon apex seals-
- rotor bearings may have to be adapted from an rx7 12a.
- all springs for that matter should be available as well, some will be replacements from later models.

I wouldnt bother with the old yellow oil control rings, i used to have several new sets which my mechanic threw out because later oil rings out of the 12a Rx7 were alot better. All these have most likely been superceded with FD Rx7 and Rx8 parts.

I bought most of the above for one of my 10a's. Part numbers should be relevant for any market. 90% of my parts had to be shipped from Japan with a 2 week turn around.

The only things that may be different between US and Oz/NZ/Japan market are parts that are for LHD fitment. If you bought one of those crate motors from NZ/ US, it should just need a gasket and O ring kit as well as a new set of springs (for oil control, corner seal, apex etc)put through it, the hard seals (apex, corner, oil control) should all be fine unless corroded. Any motor in either new/used condition should be freshened up if its sat unused for an extended period. In your case 30 + years !! Anyway best of luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the valuable information. Unforunately I am stuck to keep the car and the engine as original as I can. That was our first car about six years ago, and at that time I did not know enything about old rotaries in general, the australian source for parts etc. So when my then mechanic rebuilt the TD the car was carrying he could not find a lot parts. The result was to buy this NOS TD, for 2,500 euros, which collapsed at around 3,500 km. we have spent (me and my brother) around 25,000 euros including the spare parts we have and the result is a far from concours car and a broken engine. Plus I have nor the knowledge nor the time to fix anything myself.
Keeping the engine as close to original as I can will be a big pain, I know. I got some seals which were bought for my 10A rebuild which I ll use now at the 12a TD, but I need much more. I already contact a person in Au. Will see...

I am rather sure Us models had some different seals: Digits like 2090-10 or -11 something at the 1971 US model cant be valid for other markets.

If you dont mind which is your parts source in Japan? I cannt find anything at yahoo.auctions.jp which is my...source for parts.

Thanks again, any help is deeply appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:46 pm 

Hi baltsiotis, thats unfortunate. What is wrong with the engine ?

You should be able to get everything required to rebuild it, but as previously mentioned you may need to get some parts from newer engines.

I order all my parts through my Mazda dealer in Australia who then orders them from Japan Mazda. You should be able to do the same in Greece. I had a look on my computer for a parts list but only have an Rx3 listing.

Here is a link to some manuals that might help you out. There is a factory Rx2 manual there.
http://foxed.ca/foxed/index.php?page=rx7manual

You should be aware that there are differences between twin side seal 10a/12a twin dizzy engines and single side seal twin dizzy 10a/12a engines. I think apart from the side seals the rest of the parts are interchangeable.

Hope it all works out, part of the joy of owning old cars !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:47 am 

Glenn Munro from Rotary Power in NZ has all the bits for these US 12aTD motors...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2209107

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:45 am 

Is he the one that was selling the new TDs at trademe.nz? I got an identical engine. I havent got a US spec engine, I got the J/AU/General one.
Thank you both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:50 pm 

baltsiotis wrote:
Is he the one that was selling the new TDs at trademe.nz?

Yes thats him.

OnlineProfile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:18 am 

Here are photos of the engine.

any remarks and advice welcome.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]