#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New member: gallery of Z360, S600, H1300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:17 am 

Will post the photos URL shortly. Have also owned a CRX 1.5i 1986, CRX 1.6Sir 1989, Civic 1980 and life 4 dr SA360 as well as the current ride, 1998 CRV

Ralph, New Zealand

Last edited by ThunderbirdsAreGo on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:19 am 

URL for the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyjeepaviation/

Hope this works, Ralph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:35 am 

thats lots of honda you have at home. you must truly be a honda lover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 am 

the S600 is beautiful. Nice find on the hardtop for it :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:25 pm 

Good restoration, they all look good( the z is not my taste though, i would like it best with its stock engine) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 pm 

ah, so your the creator of the famous Z jet car. 8)

Any videos of that thing in action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 pm 

General reply, further info;

The video antics of the JetBoy car are here

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkyJeepAviation

I got my first Honda in 1980 also my first (and last) new car, a 1300 Civic 5dr. Later I learnt about the S series cars and after a couple of years found one for sale, which consumed all my spare time and new old stock parts in NZ for years to come. Having rebuilt the engine and carbs and rear axles I learnt a lot about them. There are over 20 in NZ about 5 each S600R S600C S800R S800C. Some had been re-engined with Ford Anglia or similar motor and consequently also had the rear diff changed. Probably because professional garages don't understand Japanese motorcycle engines at all, and owners didn't understand alloy heads and the need for the green stuff in the radiator water- also a common killer of Civics. The reality of driving the S600 on the highways became more difficult and the cost of keeping it just to look at and occasionally use led me to part with it as I needed the funds for another project.

The two 360's I got from a mechanic at the parts dealership who was going to use the seats for a boat and dump the rest. The life had been cannabalised for the head because someone had replaced a gasket and sealed off the splash oil feed to the top end. I think the same sloppy use on silicone RTV as a gasket sealant also had played a role in the water holes and carb gasketing on the S600. Actually if genuine Honda gaskets are used, I dont use any sealant at all, and dont have problems. The S600 carbs must never have any RTV sealant on the air filter gasket, unless you want to overhaul them about 5 more times to get all that stuff out! For gasket sealant that resists petrol and oils, I use a blue product from Hylomar. I swapped the bits back after having the cam bearing repaired and gave away the life to some mates who had a dirt track in their backyard. We named this car "Horihito's revenge" in his honour. The Z started rusting despite a pro repaint job and because of increasing on road costs and deterioration I borrowed it for the turbine experiments.

I found the 1300 and partially restored it But the engine was smoky with ring trouble and the whole car was not really my style so when the local Honda dealer had his one stolen and crashed I sold it to him, he had an army of mechanics on his payroll who could easily recover his newly built engine and do it all again without any bills to pay. I actually made a small profit, which was satisfying.

Ralph

Post subject: Z electric conversion
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:58 pm 

Learning how to post pics - I hope. Last week I picked up some parts I needed a axle to run in the Z for rear drive.

I liberated a 10 Hp electric motor for the project.

I try to not modify anything further, although to run this on a road, I must replace a cracked windscreen and may use a polycarbonate version with aluminium frames in line with the original TB2 theme

and started on the new cockpit layout for Thunderbird 2 MkIII

Post subject: Fitting rear drive
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:43 pm 

The donor diff from the half-loaf Suzi needed 100mm cut from one side to be narrow enough for the Z track and leaf spring locations as well as correcting the propshaft offset to centreline.

Comparison of modifed diff with Z beam axle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:52 pm 

Nice too see the Z isn't dead as the thread seemed to suggest earlier.

I'm guessing a larger windscreen could possibly by cut down to size if all else failed.
I recently bought some Subaru Sherpa/Justy/Rex brakes since the driveshaft splines & rear spindles match the Z-Life giving me front discs & common 4x100 wheelstud pattern, though also noticed some more recent Daihatsu kei seem to use 4x110 like the Z... I must check their disc mounting arrangements.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 pm 

I think its a good idea to improve the stock brakes. They scared me a few times. Need either power brakes or better shoes.

The diff fits in reasonably well, original leaf springs and shocks locate OK. I had to press the fuel tank in by about 1" to allow clearance of the diff housing which Honda never intended to be there.

The APU is now fitted which was quite a squeeze thru the hatch.....I mounted it high so no holes need be cut for the exhaust - I can remove it all later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:20 am 

Why :(

edit:

It sure will be fast though :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:56 pm 

The conversion to turbine power is just a project I had been wanting to try for a long time, the car was rotting away and this breathes some new life to it. In New Zealand a bloke has the choice of herding sheep, playing rugby or building things in The Shed. there is even a magazine and book about what people do in their Shed. I hope this helps explain the why.

It will not be fast, or efficient, or quiet. But once you try sitting inside and spooling up with earplugs and earmuffs and flame retardant overalls then it burps out some kerosine it becomes addictive. The reason its not fast is there is less horsepower than the original water cooled 356cc engine. The turbine I used for Mk I had about 80lbs thrust which is equivalent to 30 hp.
Mk II was a turboprop and somewhat better with 90hp available but I used a small propeller for safety reasons.
Mk III is a turbo-electric system using a Garrett GTP30 AC generator and the motor driving the rear wheels is 10hp continuous rating so should be similar to the original engine.

I dont expect to go far or fast but have lots of fun getting there. This IS rocket science, after all.

Another project would be a front and rear pair of Hondamatic engines in an EB1 Civic. this has been done with the early CRX by someone. Wicked.

I prefer completely stock restorations if possible, but its "open season" on anything thats beyond proper repair.

Ralph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:31 pm 

Oh, well now I get it :D it should be a blast to see people faces when you drive that thing around :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:14 pm 

I have been busy finishing the devices that make Thunderbird 2 go and it has now been out for a run under its own steam

in fact this version of Thunderbird 2 is from an alternate universe (for those that follow Dr Who

Control system design is settled for now

Yes it was a blast to finally have it moving around and get a feel for the controls and running setup. I will state the obvious, this was not put up as a serious electric / hybrid / green car, and certainly with my budget not in the same category as Hectors machine (which I admire massively)

I think it will do OK going down to the local Diner which is a restaurant with a hot rod theme - could even BBQ the food in the car park if I fuel it on cooking oil.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:44 pm 

WHY? you must have lots of time on your hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:08 am 

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkyJeepAvia ... XRKCN-TFqw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:48 am 

Warning: disturbing goings on of Honda Z

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyjeepaviation/4582894671/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:32 pm 

:D thats awesome man, dont think youll be able to get a cert with it though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:59 am 

I saved an H1300 from the tip today, but I think she's a little far gone for restoration...might wreck, but at least it's better than becoming a Prius fender!

Nice collection, I'm still looking out for a Zot, I miss my old ones a lot.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Duane

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next