#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: The neverending FB RX-7 project
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 pm 

I guess this could be considered an introduction. :D

About 4 years ago I bought this RX7 from it's original owner, a guy in his late 70s from New Jersey. It was completely stock save for a new (stock sized) exhaust system with a RacingBeat muffler at the end of the system.

Looked like this:

About a year later I acquired a set of MINT 15x7 Panasports and undid the defunct emissions/rats nest system.

Shortly after I did all that the stock 12A (116k miles) lost an oil control seal on rotor #1, So after getting scammed by another RX7 club member for a "new" 12a I went to Pettit Racing and spend $1500 building an absolutely gorgeous mildly steetported 12A.

So after all that and 5000 miles, I got merged into by some stupid blond lady in a Lexus SUV, curbed all of my beloved Panasports, tire donuts up the right side of the car, passenger door would not open, damaged a seal in my steering box (leaking gear oil everywhere). Shop quote was $3600 of damage, her dumbass insurance company would only pay $2300, so off I went with $2300 to spend on the car.

It sat for 2 years while I procrastinated and bought parts. In the end I still have the damage on the side of my car where she hit me, and my Panasports are still curbed, but the car now has NO rust anymore, a new GSL rear end, ReSpeed rack and pinion conversion, all polyurethane suspension bushings, Racingbeat springs, Tokico Illuminas, Awesome new brakes with hawk pads, and d bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting. I'll let the pictures talk.

As the car sits now (took these a few minutes ago) Ignore the zip tie on the firewall tie, that's just there until I get the new strut bar mounts for it.

Now I need to paint the car (after I do some other things like Install some fender mirrors, and make my own IMSA GTU style spoiler for it. And complete my exhaust system, front mount oil cooler, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:19 pm 

Sucks about the lady hitting you. :-(

Sweet 7 though!!!! Best of luck with everything!

Cannondale R1000 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:37 am 

Thanks. I'm probably better of having her hit me, because that made me find the rust on my car and kill it, as well as redo the suspension, steering box, brakes, drivetrain, etc. The damage caused by the SUV wasn't too bad, but enough to destroy the black trim piece on the door and front fender (good thing I have more of those) I'll undo the damage/paint the car when I figure out what I want to do about a front bumper/airdam and spoiler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm 

good looking car man.

i really miss my fb

Last edited by derek on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm 

Stunning car :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:45 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Very nice, looks like well sorted suspension mods. Someday when I have excess cash and time, I will do the whole respeed, racing beat set up as well. Did you do all poly bushings as well?

'83 Sapporo Technica; '84 Starion ES; '74 Colt; '80 Colt; '79 Cressida
'91 RX7 convertible; '68 Camaro SS 350 convertible; '71 NSU 1200c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 pm 

TSiSS350 wrote:
Very nice, looks like well sorted suspension mods. Someday when I have excess cash and time, I will do the whole respeed, racing beat set up as well. Did you do all poly bushings as well?

I replaced every rubber bushing in the suspension with black poly bushings. Everyone says that replacing all of the rear link bushings and watts linkage bushings will cause the suspension to bind during travel, I found that the suspension travels much more freely with the poly bushings. The rubber bushings were molded into into the metal tube in the center of the bushing, so after you tighten the bolts down, the suspension arm can only travel as far as the rubber will twist. With the poly bushings, they can rotate on the tube, allowing infinite travel. With all of the locating links and watts linkage hooked up (no shocks, springs, or sway bar) I was able to lift one side up against the bump stop with the other side hanging freely, and be able to lift the other side up and down by hand, I couldn't do that with the stock bushings. The poly bushings were easy to install and totally worth it, the car feels unbelievably well planted at highway speeds now, and I'm sure it will never wheel hop again... ever.

The The Racing Beat springs though... They are waaaaay to soft for my liking, and they sit high... Rally car high. I got them in a parts car I bought, wire wheeled the rusty parts and re-painted parts of them with rattle can plasti-dip (that stuff is WIERD to paint with). Eventually I'll buy full Re-Speed coilovers and camber plates, but I was running out of money, and already had a set of aftermarket springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Fireblade RX-7 wrote:
The The Racing Beat springs though... They are waaaaay to soft for my liking, and they sit high... Rally car high. I got them in a parts car I bought, wire wheeled the rusty parts and re-painted parts of them with rattle can plasti-dip (that stuff is WIERD to paint with). Eventually I'll buy full Re-Speed coilovers and camber plates, but I was running out of money, and already had a set of aftermarket springs.

I dont plan on doing it untill I can afford the coils as well. Thanks for the info on the bushings, I will have to save this page and refrence it when I do my install.

'83 Sapporo Technica; '84 Starion ES; '74 Colt; '80 Colt; '79 Cressida
'91 RX7 convertible; '68 Camaro SS 350 convertible; '71 NSU 1200c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 am 

awesome resto! its come a long way. i am currently doing the same to my fb working on steering and suspension now as i jus had the engine rebuilt with new 12a housing! then paint and the joy of finding nos or mint interior parts.. in tan. keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:11 pm 
Administrator

Awesome job! It really looks like a labor of love.

I like the mini RX7 you have on the dash ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]