#
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: NEW CELICA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:04 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 111
Location: so cal
FYI:

I have been lobbying Toyota really hard to name the FT-86 as a Celica. We will know soon.

Our last meeting (with Toyota Product Planning guys from Japan)- they were all stunned about me ranting about it. In fact, I felt it was my last chance to do so, so I laid it out strong and almost angry. (They were startled to see me all fired up- I usually just smile and joke around.)

"Celica is the original Toyota sports car." "The AE86 is based on cartoons and video." "The dimensions and weight are 1st gen Celica (AE86 too!!)" "Celica has won more events in more motorsport classes" "Celica has heritage and it's own line- the AE86 is a Corolla sub-class" "Remember Mustang, Camaro?- this has to be Celica!" "Whoever is handling this is a newbie, who never KNEW Toyota's most popular sports model" and many more one liners.

Just before flying back to Tokyo, one of the top (if not the TOP) guy in Toyoya Product Planning Japan called me again to reiterate my points. He took notes.

I challenged them to park 4 cars in front of headquarters- one each RA20 and AE86, and one each modified ones as used in racing. They knew I had a valid point.

I hope my message was not too late. If it indeed is named Celica..... they finally realized.

Scion tC was also meant as replacement- but it was FWD and Scion, so it did not matter.

About the "boxer" engine.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:22 am 
At the next meeting could you put in a word for a new MR2? I'm thinking an evolution of the last model with a Yamaha tuned 1.8 Valvematic engine. :wink:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW CELICA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:18 am 
JNC Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:58 am
Posts: 979
Location: Lake Worth, TX
groupb wrote:
FYI:

I have been lobbying Toyota really hard to name the FT-86 as a Celica. We will know soon.

Our last meeting (with Toyota Product Planning guys from Japan)- they were all stunned about me ranting about it. In fact, I felt it was my last chance to do so, so I laid it out strong and almost angry. (They were startled to see me all fired up- I usually just smile and joke around.)

"Celica is the original Toyota sports car." "The AE86 is based on cartoons and video." "The dimensions and weight are 1st gen Celica (AE86 too!!)" "Celica has won more events in more motorsport classes" "Celica has heritage and it's own line- the AE86 is a Corolla sub-class" "Remember Mustang, Camaro?- this has to be Celica!" "Whoever is handling this is a newbie, who never KNEW Toyota's most popular sports model" and many more one liners.

Just before flying back to Tokyo, one of the top (if not the TOP) guy in Toyoya Product Planning Japan called me again to reiterate my points. He took notes.

I challenged them to park 4 cars in front of headquarters- one each RA20 and AE86, and one each modified ones as used in racing. They knew I had a valid point.

I hope my message was not too late. If it indeed is named Celica..... they finally realized.

Scion tC was also meant as replacement- but it was FWD and Scion, so it did not matter.

About the "boxer" engine.....


If they would just pull that boxer engine, then I would consider buying one. I don't care what it's called.

_________________
Jeff "Kingtoy" Brown
King of Toyotas
Sophisticated Toys - Toyota club

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:15 am 
Nothing would pluck my heartstrings in a more virtuoso fashion than a Yamaha-tuned Toyota inline-4,but for one thing "beggars can't be choosers" and we've had to beg Toyota for a sportscar and second the boxer does (correct me if I'm wrong) have Toyota's direct injection system,so it's not completely "alien".


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:20 pm
Posts: 125
Location: Vladivostok, Russia
Celica/86?

http://news.drom.ru/Toyota-86-13092.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 am 
JNC Fanatic

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 pm
Posts: 1133
Location: Detroit
Can you yell at them to make it look more like an RA20 as well while you're at it? :lol:

_________________
Camshaft wrote:
It scares the bejesus out of me that someone, somewhere ordered the Lusitania with front drum brakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am 
JNC Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:02 am
Posts: 876
Location: The OC
I don't know squat about engines, but if the 'new' celica/86 has a boxer engine, wouldn't it be more appropriate to make this a Sports 800 successor? :lol: :P :roll: :wink:

p.s. Is it boxer or boxster?

_________________
Michael - Collector of Toyotamobilia ~ www.toyotageek.com
Tomica Fan Club ~ www.tomicafanclub.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:54 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:23 am
Posts: 167
Location: bolsa
dont really care the name but make it

under $25K
rwd
naturally aspirated if possible
160-200 hp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 pm 
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 5591
Location: LA
toyotageek wrote:
p.s. Is it boxer or boxster?


That would be boxer, cause the 2 banks of 2 pistons each moving side to side is like two boxers duking it out. :)

_________________
Tyler wrote:
How I long for a shit brown wagon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:49 am 
JNC Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:53 am
Posts: 641
Location: Georgetown Ma
ben wrote:
That would be boxer, cause the 2 banks of 2 pistons each moving side to side is like two boxers duking it out. :)


Hmmm...is that a technical explination? I always assumed it had something to do with the layout of the engine being box shaped, or square?

_________________
Brad D.

'83 Sapporo Technica; '84 Starion ES; '74 Colt; '80 Colt; '79 Cressida
'91 RX7 convertible; '68 Camaro SS 350 convertible; '71 NSU 1200c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:59 am 
TSiSS350 wrote:
ben wrote:
That would be boxer, cause the 2 banks of 2 pistons each moving side to side is like two boxers duking it out. :)


Hmmm...is that a technical explination? I always assumed it had something to do with the layout of the engine being box shaped, or square?

Silly me,I thought it had to do with the engine sounding like a boxer dog with flatulence!
Image


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 pm 
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 5591
Location: LA
TSiSS350 wrote:
ben wrote:
That would be boxer, cause the 2 banks of 2 pistons each moving side to side is like two boxers duking it out. :)


Hmmm...is that a technical explination? I always assumed it had something to do with the layout of the engine being box shaped, or square?


This is how I learned it, although I suppose it could be urban legend.

_________________
Tyler wrote:
How I long for a shit brown wagon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:42 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:39 am
Posts: 310
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Looks like youve got the Aussie journalists on your side.

http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/sports ... -yet-17144

_________________
[F3ARED] 76 Isuzu Gemini Coupe - forged G180z, EFI, 525hp Turbo, 6years and still building...

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net