#
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Car movies
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:20 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Now that people are looking for certain movies and I am looking for certain movies involving cars or racing I might as well post this on here and see how many we can list off that involve cars in the forefront of it.
I will start the list.

Bullitt
Grand Prix
Vanishing point
Gone in 60 seconds (both original and remake)
Le Mans
The Italian Job (original and remake)
the whole fast and furious list lol

So lets see it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:53 pm 

Two lane blacktop
American Graffiti
(they both share the same '55 Chevy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:02 pm 

Every James Bond flick. (1962-Present)
Smoky and The Bandit and its sequals. (1977-1983)
Death Race 2000 (1975)
Cannonball (1976)
Cannonball Run 1 & 2 (1981, 1984)
Gumball Rally (1976)
Speed Zone (1989)
The Driver (1976)
The California Kid (1974)
Corvette Summer (1978)
The Great Race (1965)
Winning (1969)
Black Moon Rising (1986)
Bobby Deerfield (1977)
Days of Thunder (1991)
Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969)
Christine (1983)
The Car (1977)
Mad Max (1979)
The French Connection (1971)
The Seven Ups (1973)
The Dead Pool (1988)
The Herbie Movies (1969-2005)
The Sicilian Cross (1976)
Le Professionel (1981)
Le Marginal (1983)
Thunder Run (1986)
Speedtrap (1977)
The Junkman (1982)
Deadline Auto Theft (1983)
Freeway Speedway 1-6 (1988-1996)
Wangan Midnight (The Original Films) (1991-present)
Knight Rider 2000 (TV Movie) (1991)
Knight Rider 2010 (TV Movie) (1992)
Ronin (1998)

Thats all I could think of. At this moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:44 pm 

Duel, Steven Spielberg's first movie. A 1970 Plymouth Valiant versus a 1955 Peterbuilt 281. Epic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:38 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I forgot about Duel, heck I have it on my laptop lol

there is one that I remember but forget the name of it but it is involving a guys brother died street racing against a gang and came back reincarnated as this very alien like car to get his revenge

the car looked a lot like a Dome car

oh and Repo man is another movie....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:30 am 
It was "The Wraith".

Packard Walsh drove a late-1970s Chevrolet Corvette with a custom paint job and nose clip; Oggie drove a 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z; Minty drove a 1977 Pontiac Firebird with a highly-visible (but apparently non-functional) supercharger; Skank and Gutterboy drove a beat-up 1966 Plymouth Barracuda; Rughead was driving a late-70's Chevrolet pickup. The couple who are cheated out of their car in the first race were driving a 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (distinguished by its' pop-up headlights, unlike the exposed headlights of Oggie's 1986 model). The police drove a variety of mid-1980's Plymouth Caravelles and Gran Furys, as well as early-1980's Chevrolet Malibus; Sheriff Loomis drove a "civilian" Plymouth Caravelle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 am 
How about these

Drowning Mona (yugos)
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (for countless vintage cars)
Nathional Lampoon's Vacation (the family truckster really was the star of this movie.
Traffic (a bunch of oddball cars, see what you can spot in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6mzlmmGF_A )

And though cars don't have much to do with the central plot - the Renault/moped/subway chase in Diva is one of the best chases of its kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oQQBtXr6YQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:52 am 

Catch Me If You Can.

NOT the Hanks/DiCaprio movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:50 pm 

I completely forgot these:

The Fast and the Furious (1939)
The Fast and the Furious (1955)
Grand Theft Auto (1977) The directorial debut of Ron Howard.
The Blues Brothers (1980)
The Back to the Future Series (1985-1990)
The Yellow Rolls-Royce (1965)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
Rendezvous (1965)
Fireball 500 (1966)
Hooper (1978)
Dirty Larry, Crazy Mary (1974)
Cobra (1986)

Last edited by 84Hachi on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:52 pm 

84Hachi wrote:
Rendezvous (1965)

I was wondering when someone would get around to mentioning this. This is the definitive "car movie". :P

My favorite is a series of shorts called "The Hire", featuring Clive Owen driving all kinds of different BMWs really, really fast. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:40 pm 

Eat my dust (with Ron Howard)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:04 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I think there should be a disclaimer about how more than half the films mentioned are barely watchable for any reason other than to stare at cars. :lol: Especially any Halicki film after the original Gone in 60 seconds. Junkman is just ridiculous, Deadline-Auto Theft was a lame attempt to make a better film using a few new scenes thrown inside of the original Gone in 60 seconds (seriously, more than 60% of the movie IS footage from the original Gone in 60 seconds, you're watching the same damn movie), and what little actually exists of Gone in 60 Seconds 2 from before Halicki's death on the set is just pointlessly comical.

And for that matter- If you watch the original Gone In 60 Seconds, make an effort to find a VHS copy. The new DVD version is missing the original soundtrack, and in the extras you hear some goof off explaining that the audio was "terrible" and the original songs from the original movie "won't be missed", but, IMHO, the corny songs were 50% of the appeal for the original movie, and I'd have rather heard them with poor audio than be without them entirely and stuck listening to crappy copyright free instrumental music that's clearly several decades newer than the movie. It's bad enough that I still remember the songs from the original and haven't seen that version in an eternity, and I find it offensive that someone "restoring" a film would alter it in such a way that it changes the viewing experience for future generations. And if that doesn't bother you, this should- since the audio was replaced, the car sounds in the DVD version aren't the real ones either, but rather new sounds made to match the film since the original sounds were intertwined with the original music score. So find the VHS copy and hear what the cars, smashes, and music really sounded like.

And that Traffic clip... what the hell happened there? :lol:

I can't contribute much that hasn't been mentioned already-

Moonrunners- Forewarning you, it's bad, but consider it the rough outline for what became The Dukes Of Hazzard. It's excessively difficult to find a copy of, or at least was for decades. I have it on a bad film to DVD transfer.

Thunder Road- 50s film about running moonshine. Kinda cool, but it's been an eternity since I've seen it.

White Lightning- Burt Reynolds as a shine runner set free from prison to bring in some crooked people, has some interesting chases but fairly forgettable.

Gator- Sequel to White Lightning. Also fairly forgettable, but there's an epic fight between Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed on a beach, which is hysterical.

Thunder and Lightning- This was kind of neat, although also a meh movie. I can't remember the plot, but David Carradine drives a '57 Chevy 4-door around with Kate Jackson, who looks frigging spectacular in the whole film. Just watch it for Kate Jackson. There's a LOT of chases, the '57 gets jumped a few times IIRC, maybe it had something to do with moonshine as well, goddamnkatejacksonhasaniceset, yeah, watch it. :lol:

If I had to name my favorite car movies, and ones I would suggest anyone should watch-

The Driver- Kind of out there, but really a fantastic film. Video game of the same name based very loosely around it.

Vanishing Point- a MUCH deeper movie than it might look upon first glance, there's much more going on here than a Challenger blasting across the desert

The Blues Brothers- If you don't like this film, you're probably an Illinois Nazi yourself.

And yes, Repo Man as mentioned above. AWESOME movie. Definitely worth watching. Remember, you don't want to look in the trunk. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:22 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
White Lightning- Burt Reynolds as a shine runner set free from prison to bring in some crooked people, has some interesting chases but fairly forgettable.

And don't forget the scenes of Burt "shifting" the automatic LTD. Some scenes show a floor shifter, others show a column. Probably just a 390 too, not a 428. :td:

What was the movie with Burt driving a 56(?) Oldsmobile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:26 pm 

Cycletech wrote:
What was the movie with Burt driving a 56(?) Oldsmobile?

W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:20 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Stationwagonguy wrote:
If I had to name my favorite car movies, and ones I would suggest anyone should watch-

The Driver- Kind of out there, but really a fantastic film. Video game of the same name based very loosely around it.

Vanishing Point- a MUCH deeper movie than it might look upon first glance, there's much more going on here than a Challenger blasting across the desert

The Blues Brothers- If you don't like this film, you're probably an Illinois Nazi yourself.

And yes, Repo Man as mentioned above. AWESOME movie. Definitely worth watching. Remember, you don't want to look in the trunk. :lol:

I mentioned Vanishing Point in my first post lol and yes it is a very deep movie. And yep don't look in the trunk!!!

And thanks I will have to look for The Wraith now cause I remember watching it on cinemax when I was a kid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:52 am 
JNC Fanatic

bajasoobnut wrote:
Stationwagonguy wrote:

I mentioned Vanishing Point in my first post lol and yes it is a very deep movie. And yep don't look in the trunk!!!

And thanks I will have to look for The Wraith now cause I remember watching it on cinemax when I was a kid

Yeah, I know, I was just reinforcing that it really should be watched. :lol: All of those three I mentioned had been mentioned already. Fantastic film. I wrote a paper about it and Easy Rider years ago (which, IMO, is crap, no matter how original and groundbreaking it was, it's still total crap), and in researching on Vanishing Point, period reviewers were not kind to it, claiming it was just an Easy Rider rip-off, and while it may be, none of the reviewers seemed to have paid attention to anything in the film.

Also, someone reminded me (and how could I have forgotten)- Used Cars. Hysterical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLA-8qQdsjc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:35 am 

One of my favorite cheese-ball car movies is "Hot Rods To Hell" (1966) starring Dana Andrews, Jeanne Crain and super-slut Mimsy Farmer. Absolutely awful, but totally laughable...the footage of them driving the ugly Plymouth through the desert while being "terrorized" always cracks me up.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]