Come on guys, 3 months ! No one can be that slow, if I were to work at the pace I'd never finish it in this life time. You'll find once you learn a handful of skills you can apply the basics to do most of the repairs. The most important thing is to think before you start.
This weeks update isnt that exciting. I was hoping to complete the inner quarter panel, repaired, undercoated and sealed. It never happened, I simply "wasnt in the mood" this week
Repairing that area requires a bit of enthusiasm to be right...
This is how it started.. Ive cut the quarter panel until I found clean untouched metal. Pic 2, is the remaining piece of damaged/ rusty wheel arch that I removed from the wheel tub area. The replacement patch is incomparably better. The rest of the wheel arch is pretty good... although there isnt much of it left !
Here is the previous owners repair that I'll have to repair. They cut a hole in the wheel tub to push out the badly damaged wheel arch. Refer to page one to see the what the arch looked like before I removed it. The cut out section will be repaired and welded back in place. I'll cover this in a future update. Need to do it first ! The wheel tub hole will be welded up of course. The black marker circles are dents that I need to work out. Pic 2, the replacement inner panel patch.
Drilled out the spot welds. This area has had a poor rust patch previously. Its been tapped down over the rust hole and welded over with a plate. Pic 2, the pile of damage, poor repairs and rusty metal is piling up. I reckon I could have filled a bin with what Ive removed to date.
Ive started trimming down the inner panel (Wheel tub) to graft the new tub as required. Still more to cut out. Pic 2, now that Ive cut out the flange area of the wheel tub, its actually worse than what I previously thought.
This is the other side of the wheel tub cutout, horrible. Pic 2, this is where my enthusiasm ran out of puff. Id be asking to much if the wheel tubs were the same, I prefer to do it tough, I knew the replacement tub section was to good to be true... uuuuuuhhhhhh ! The shape is right, its just that the flange is too big. Not all is lost, I have several options.
1.cut down the flange and run it through a swage and jenny machine (in the US the're called Lancaster machines) to form a new smaller flange.
2. Run it through an english wheel with a tipping wheel fitted. Similar method to point 1.
3. Cut the flange down and reweld in the correct spot.
4. make a buck out of hardwood and tap a new flange over the buck.
All methods require measuring and dumby fiiting of the exterior patch panel. Since I dont have access to either machines in point 1 or 2, I'll be going for option 3, option 4 is to much work for me !
Since I stopped with the wheel tub I though I'd finish the panel that sits between the boot and rear screen. Pic one, you can see I've drilled holes where the plug welds will go, its been cleaned up blasted where required and sealed. The last pic for now.. Ive dumby fitted the panel, marked the parcel shelf where the plug welds go, removed the primer in that area, and finially sealed the entire flange in Zinc rich weld through primer.
Im tipping next update the above panel should be fitted, and the wheel tub may be completed if I have a spare half a day. It still needs a little trimming, pretty straight forward I hope. I can see my goal of having all body work done (welding, patching, straightening panels) by end of the year slowly slipping away. Finishing off and priming the roof, rear quarters, boot and beaver panel is proably more realistic