#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: for sale: 1982 Daihatsu Charade G10 Daimatic from UK
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:42 am 

A friend of mine from UK (Wiltshire) owns a G10 Charade from 1982 but the car does not start.

The owner wrote:

langers wrote:
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for a while, owing to various demands on my time (including a continual search for employment), but I have spent a lot of time working on my Charade.

Unfortunately, the summer is over and I've run out of time. I was really, really hoping to get it started and use it as my daily car, but no luck :(

Here's the brief history of what I've discovered and what I've done to try to get her to start:

Tried to start her as soon as I got her. Battery flat, so connect jump leads and tried again. This time, lights came on, fan came on, engine turned over but didn't catch.

So, my first thought was that it didnt have enough fuel. Also, someone pointed out that any fuel in the tank might have turned to sludge since the car had been garaged for a few years. So i drained the tank, put in clean fuel, and tried again. No luck.

Then I checked along the fuel line, and discovered that fuel was getting to the carb with no problems.

So, the next thing was to check the ignition. The leads were corroded, so I replaced those, and I also followed Rainer's instructions and did the ignition timing. Oh and I also replaced the rotor arm and contact points.

Still no luck, and I'm fairly sure it's sparking. Perhaps it's not sparking strongly enough?

The latest thing I've done is to remove the carb and try to clean it. However, I wasn't really sure how to clean it safely, so rather than damage it I thought it would be best to put it back.

Anyway, I've run out of ideas, and time, and space, and am really asking if anyone has any interest in taking it on (or using it for parts). Apart from the engine not running properly, the car has many good points:
Entirely original.
Low mileage.
One previous owner, who bought it from new and looked after it obsessively.
Daimatic transmission.
Immaculate interior, including fully functional radio.
Paint work is in very good condition.

Bad points:
Engine turns over but doesn't start.
Rear door (boot lid) hinge has broken, so I have taken it off and stored it carefully.
Owner had kept the car in a garage since 2006, and I think this may well be because it failed the MOT on something (?).

Let me know if you're interested in taking the car off my hands (bearing in mind that you'll need a trailer!). I expect it would be a great doner car for parts, since it's largely in great condition, especially the interior.

Please send me an e-mail to: langridge.richard@gmail.com if you are interested. I am looking for around £1500-£1650. I dont think there are any others like it .

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 pm 

Sorry guys

Wrong phone number, I replaced it by the e-mail address:

langridge.richard@gmail.com

I am not the seller, please contact the e-mail address below.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]