#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My 1969 360 Sedan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:12 am 
Just stumbled upon this forum today - and what timing! I'm flying cross country to pick up my 1969 Subaru and (hopefully) drive it back home.

I bought this car way back when I was 16 (17?) for $400 with the hope of restoring it. But I didn't really have much money to put into it, so it took me a while to get it running etc.

In any event I finally got the master cylinder rebuilt and the brakes working last year, and it was running like a champ. I also repacked the wheel bearings, and other misc. things.

The only problems are I need to fit a muffler to it (any ideas?) and I need to find a replacement fuel tap, since I mangled the rubber valve in the original - and the Subaru 360 Driver's Club informs me they no longer have any of the repro valves available.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 am 
And here's a couple of pics since I couldn't post them in my first post for some reason.

First running:

Stint as a storage shed:

Oh, and I'm a bit of a failure of a freelance illutrator, but here's some 360s and Daihatsu's I drew:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:21 pm 
Administrator

Dude, you're driving a 360 cross country!? That takes some massive cojones. Be sure to take photos along the way, it should be awesome.

Also, love the drawing! Welcome to JNC :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:25 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I agree with ben that it is a major pair hanging from you to do this. But hey I would love to hear about the trip with photos too!

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 am 
Well I got a muffler sorted out mostly, I'll probably just put a clamp on the fuel line when the car needs to sit until I can find a suitable replacement for the original valve.

Luckily the brakes were not frozen from sitting for a year, so I think I'll have it all freshened up and ready by the end of next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 pm 
Took it for a short trip today, and found some unexpected problems - first the headlights wouldn't work - but after cleaning the fuses they turned on (I think the fusebox may be faulty, as when I tried before random lights turned on, but not the headlights.)

The other problem is fuel starvation, I had to stop several times on my (aprox. 10 mile) trip to let the car sit and the carburetor fill with gas. Each time I pulled the gas line off at the carb and saw that fuel was not coming out, so I held the open end of the line lower until fuel began to flow and then plugged it back in to the carb. I think that the sediment bowl needs to be cleaned and the fuel filter probably needs to be replaced.

The brakes were adequate, though a little lumpy (aluminum drums, what can I do?) and there is a very annoying buzzing sound under acceleration that I cannot locate the source of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 am 
Hmmm ok, I guess there's an electrical problem because the battery was dead this morning. ARGGH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm 
Administrator

You need to see Kev's great writeup on fusible links. He had the same problem with random lights turning on when they weren't supposed to. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 pm 
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for these cars?

I had one in my subaru 360 driver's club stuff, but I can't find the folder anywhere, so I'm asking if anybody here has one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 pm 

There is an electronic fuel tap available that works with your 360. You can find info on the 360 Driver's Club Discussion Forum. There are also members that insist that a basic cheap electric fuel pump improves performance. A simple manual in-line turn type shut-off works well for long term non-use/storage. Don't forget to add an inline fuel filter, as well.
The fusebox clean-up you described is standard procedure for a 360. Not sure why, design flaw, location on firewall or whatever....but, the connections need cleaning from time to time.
Glad you solved your muffler issue......they are hard to come by and the replacement part (old Volvo muffler) is no longer available. Most rebuild/repair thier existing. One owner made a new one from scratch, but haven't heard if he will make more available to others?
Excellent info and maybe a wiring diagram can be found here:
http://www.mysubaru360.com/
Hope this helps and keep posting your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:05 pm 
Ok. So I finally got an alternator set up. It's from an 80s VW Rabbit.
It's much much more powerful than the subaru will ever need at 90amps. But they would have had to back order the 60amp one, and I've been standing in autoparts places for a week now dealing with people telling me the VW alternator will not replace the Dodge alternator, that should not have replaced the original generator - so I took what they had and ran.

(would you believe EVERY single employee I told that I wanted to replace the dodge alternator with the VW one, looked at both and said "this one is nothing like that, you can't use these")

I'm still having problem with the headlights, so I'm going to replace the fuse block and put in all new fuses.

Also fuel flow is still a problem after replacing the inline filter and emptying the sediment bowl, but there's only about 1.5 gallons in the tank right now, so hopefully when I fill it up it'll give me enough flow to keep from stalling anytime the engines going at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:49 pm 

Next item to try after tank fill, may be a clogged carb jet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 am 
JNC Enthusiast

MPJ wrote:
Glad you solved your muffler issue......they are hard to come by and the replacement part (old Volvo muffler) is no longer available.

Have you tried IPD for the muffler? They specialize in Volvos for restoration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:40 pm 
The fuel flow problem is not a carb problem (I think), everytime the engine has stalled I have removed the fuel line from the carb and nothing (or very little) was flowing out of the line.

I put the carb end of the line into a gas can, and a gallon flowed through without stopping, so I'm not sure why the gas doesn't want to flow when the line is hooked to the carb.

In other news I got the car insured, and was all ready to get going today (occasional stalling or not) when I realized that I somehow lost the keys to the car between last night and this morning :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:23 pm 
Administrator

This may be a stupid question but how old is the fuel in the tank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:47 pm 

bajasoobnut,
I have not tried IPD. Fortunately, I was able to make a simple repair to my own 360 muffler and make it work. I just know others have not been so lucky and that the only options for many years was to repair, fabricate new, buy used or NOS from Japan, or this one particular Volvo replacement that fit and worked well. Then people began having trouble finding the Volvo part and then not at all. I will share the IPD tip with other 360 owners, though......thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

not a prob and suggest to them if they order from IPD to mention the use of the muffler, the other half of IPD is RalliTek which is owned by a friend of mine and has been wanting to make a subaru restoration parts section for a few years now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:16 pm 
So the first 1000 miles of the trip were pretty uneventful, but yesterday I ran into a number of problems, including one especially annoying one I cannot solve.

Namely the Subaru has gotten slooooooooowwwww. It will accelerate up to about 50mph, then take ages to reach 55, and will not get to 60 on the flat.

Through Kansas 55 was pretty easy, and the needle touched 60 a few times.

In conjunction, yesterday the car was stalling, backfiring, and refusing to start, as well as being especially slow.

Plugs showed that the engine was running lean. I cleaned the carb jet, and checked for leaks in the manifold (no leaks) - now it starts and runs fine - but it's still really slow.

Checked the fuel flow, and tire pressure, both checked out ok.

I've got no more ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 am 
Administrator

How bout the plug wires or distributor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:17 am 
JNC Enthusiast

drastic altitude changes?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next