#
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 7   [ 132 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:14 pm 

Wow, this thread has gone so far off topic.

I have a butchered classic. Butchered by time and the elements, and previous owner neglect though. It's seized engine and rusted out sills add character and presence :roll: Yeah try arguing that when a cop is giving you a defect notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:52 pm 

I'm not sure how much room I have to comment on the carolla...but I feel like just not repairing your crash damage (the s2k in question) does not make you a car styling genius, it makes you cheap, lazy, or both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:46 am 

I could get away with this sort of thing on the Stanza, at one stage it looked like this:

I could have continued this look by applying red oxide all over the place, black stonechip on the door bottoms and crashed it into a few walls, but I just won't - it'll just be an old heap. I'm not a concours car person, I'm not patient/rich enough and I like to use my cars properly. However, I can finish off the paint to an acceptable standard, get the rubbing strips back on (must be the only car I can think of which needs them to break up the slabby sides!), correct the bumper as it's not hanging straight and maybe at the end it'll look half-decent. Often I wonder why I bother, but the fact I'm essentially "restoring" a Stanza T11 amuses the hell out of me. And who knows, if it looks alright maybe it'll probably have a better chance of survival.

The thing I don't like about fashionable "rat-look" cars is the people who see it done and think "hey I should do that" and mess up a decent car trying to gain the look. For example, I drive past a VW Polo most days, was always a nice enough thing, shiny paint, looked like a good example. Then one day it had been entirely resprayed (badly) in red oxide and it went from there with zany stickers, rusty steel wheels etc. The problem I have with it is that after he gets bored of it, no one will want to buy it so it'll have to get scrapped ("normal" owners will think it looks awful, ratlook fans would surely not want a car that has already been done). Not exactly a rare/expensive car but it would have been an alright runaround for someone, now its destiny is to be neatly compressed into a cuboid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 am 

The problem as I see it with "ratlook" anything, is that you no longer are accepted by ANY group of car fans. Rockabilly rat-rod guys snub you because you're driving a (to them) late model import, import guys snub you because your car looks (to them) like an abortion, and domestic guys snub you because it's an import. You pretty much can't win all the way around. Your only defense is if your car is seriously fast. It's hard to argue with fast...It's sort of like telling people at a party that you don't drink. To your face they're all "oh cool, good for you..." and then they stay on the other side of the room because you make them uncomfortable.

I'll be the first one to tell you that my car is a work in progress, and I don't claim it as a "rat-rod" either. But I tend to get lumped in with that crowd because that's how it looks at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:01 pm 

Max, your car looks like a left over from a Max Max Movie. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:42 pm 

I get that a lot...the admins at www.hybridz.org went so far as to change my member status to "Mad Max Z." it's only going to get worse if I ever get around to doing the fender exit exhaust I've been planning. In my defense though, this particular S30, while good for a Florida car (rust-wise), was far from being a perfect example when i got it. Plus it's a 280, and the demand for those is far from the demand for 260s or 240s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm 

how about this one?

http://www.7tune.com/terminally-pretty-kasso-club-ae86/

and i quote:

Quote:
When questioned about why he keeps such a clunker, Goto-san explains that many people who want to get into drifting quickly fall into a common trap. Excited, they go out and buy a nice car usually spending a little more than they can afford, then quickly climb in behind the wheel. It’s not long he says before one slips up and has an accident by going off course or sliding into a wall. When this happens it is very expensive to repair and many people, not having the extra cash to repair their cars, just choose to quit or find another hobby. “The key to getting better though is practice and you can get better or practice if your car is always in the shop being repaired!”. Too true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 pm 

I think that car right there looks like what it is: a car that's been driven hard and put away wet. It wasn't purposely beaten on to simulate that look. The original poster's carolla had a bunch of tacked on stuff for style that just looked bad, whereas this car has just been around (and probably through) the block one time too many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm 

little late getting in on this but I will just add my opinion.

The S2000 in the original post was cool, my favorite no, mine was that Miata. But the 86, that was just dumb. I like cars like the 86 above. Driven to hell but kept running. Sure it looks like crap but who cares, its fun. Just like how there is an old mercury out on the side of the road on the way to my parents place. Its old, banged up, one fender was replaced and never painted and now all rusty. But I would like nothing more then to put a mechanicaly fuel injected 351 under the hood, slam the thing to the ground, and drive that thing everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:43 am 

Look, talking about that fake haggard AE86...

In my opinion, patina should be earned not manufactured. As for that endlessly reposted beat up panda AE86 from Japan, and the rusty motorfix car, I'm sure they're just a piss take, not anything serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 am 

If you like that AE86, go to a big scrapyard and ask if they have a compound for "stolen recovered" cars. It's got the hallmarks - busted side window, dents with surface rust, missing/damaged bits of exterior trim. Hell, all it needs now is a smashed-up steering cowling with the wires hanging down and "CAT C" scribbled across the windscreen, it'd fit right in.

I can't fully agree with the sentiment of not fixing it due to no money. If it was some old heap that was hanging by a thread anyway, fair enough, but it has the look of a car that used to be pretty nice until recently. Might have been a right dog, but I can't quite see it.

Overall, I don't like it when nice cars end up in the hands of people who can't look after them - best (worst) example I can think of is special import Z32 Fairlady Zs, over here they seem to end up in the hands of some absolute morons. They can afford the initial purchase price of a good one (often incorporating the cost of sticking a load of ill-fitting fibreglass onto it), then thrash the guts out of it everywhere, oblivious to the fact that the last person who changed the oil/coolant was some guy in Osaka about five years ago. Months later, it makes a reappearance on eBay as "headgasket failure spares/repairs" with it parked up in some long grass, one wheel replaced with the emergency spacesaver, etc.

In conclusion, if you can't afford the upkeep of something (substantially increased if you're taking it drifting), don't turn a nice car into a terrible one. Just cut out the middle man and buy a terrible one. Someone else can have the nice one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:08 am 

If that car ran like crap I would be mad, but it is probobly a screamer, which makes it cool. Oh well different strokes i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:53 pm 

Well...I have mixed feelings on this topic. Me being a lover of all vehicles, I like almost anything unique, different or average as it may be. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:26 pm 

I love rat cars but it has to be earned not made,

Patina rust and that is cool, that can stay,

That is all,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:30 pm 

the coupe in the first post is and has always been used for drift and track events.
his car is not a fan boy's car and niether is he. it's a driven, beat to hell car. it has seen may fazes in the past years. trust me that car has earned the right to look like that..

oh you can look him up on club4ag.com, user name is GARAGE_86

model car blogspot
http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 am 
someone post the "bucket" mk1 golf.. thats rat rod.

ill try find my pics..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:50 am 

badass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:22 pm 

SANITORA wrote:

Reminds me of my old blue 510... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:20 pm 
IT HAS GOT THAT LOOK ABOUT IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

datsunfreak wrote:
Good God but that 6 is the sexiest damn thing I've ever seen in my entire life... :shock: :shock: :shock:

shane_lxi wrote:
Now just to throw this out there, I like cosmetic rust too... it has it's place.

never get a hard on a bavarian car b4...till i c that black 6..
that is a sweeet machine..

the green 86 on SH it's ok..
but the s2k..hmm its overated IMO

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 7   [ 132 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next