#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 146 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Project RA21 1974 *Updated 5/23/13*
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:32 am 

Here is my Project 74 RA21. I started this project a few years back with not much money. I'm in Ft worth, TX and there are very very few classic Celicas around here. I loved the 1st gen celicas and found a 77 Lift back rotting in a field. I bought it for about 200 bucks US and drug it home. It was fairly complete but badly rusted and in need of much rust repair and a full rebuild on engine and tranny. I became disenchanted with the lift back body style and the big safety bumpers so I traded it for a 77 coupe. I ended up in the same situation, badly rusted body in need of tons of metal work and virtualy unsavable. I pirated as many parts as I could and scraped the hull. Then I cam across a copy of a copy of a copy of the TORC newsletter. In it was a classified for a mildly beat down 74 from a lady in carlsbad CA. I called her up made a deal with her for 600 bucks, FedEx'd her the cash and sent a transport out to pick it up and bring it back here. Here is a pic of the car while still in Carlsbad before I received it.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:39 am 

I got it back here to TX and ripped out the automatic transmission and installed a 5 spd gear box, then drove it around for a few weeks and then proceeded to rip it all apart. Here is Kingtoy helping with the teardown for the body work.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:49 am 

Now the car is home and undergoing it's continued restoration. I have the engine bay painted 2001 Mercedes SLK Bahama Blue. And I have covered all the brake lines and am currently tumbling and polishing all the enginebay hardware. The brake booster has been restored and tonight the steering box gets it's treatment. Since the roads out in Cali are better than here in texas the steering and suspention are surprisingly fresh and tight. The body work is done. The wipers arm, motor and access holes have been filled and shaved. the badges are gone as well as the side markers. Rocker panel holes are filled and all the minor rust is taken care of. Once the engine bay is complete it's time for the engine drop in with will consist of a Hybrid 22r with dual weber side drafts. In the pics the engine bay may look a little scuffed but it's actually just dusty. I try to keep my work are clean but you know how that goes. I'll post more as it happens.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:46 pm 
Administrator

Nice story and pics. Documenting is definitely one of the harder parts of a restoration and something I bet we all wish we spent a little more time on. Looks like you're doing fine job so far!

Are you planning on painting the exterior to match the engine bay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:05 am 

Absoloutly! The final exterior paint will be done as soon as the engine is in and running. My friends at the paint shop requested that the car be able to move in and out of the shop under it's own power. Thanks for the compliment, I have tried to take pics periodicaly as I complete things. I have always thought it was cool when you'd see a car at a show where the owner had documented his restoration in pictures. Really gives a sense of apreciation for what the car was and has been transformed into. Once the paint is done, she's off to the upholstry shop to start the interior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:50 am 

It's great to see the old Celicas getting some restoration. It's a shame that for years these cars were viewed only as appliances which means there are not too many left. Great looking color for that Celica.

86.5 Supra
87 RX-7
96 300ZX
03 350Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:55 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice looking project! Glad to see people documenting their projects and sharing them with other enthusiasts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:46 am 

Thanks guys. I am also tumbling and re-plating every nut and bolt on the car. Tumbling/polishing and finishing all these small parts, nuts and bolts is very time consuming. It may take me a long time to finish but then are any of our projects ever really finished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:26 am 
JNC Fanatic

I remember when he first got that car. It is so cool he is doing all of this. He actually loaned it to me for a while a couple of years ago to drive while my 78' Hilux was in the shop with major a engine problem. I will also take full credit for being responsible for starting him down the road of the fanatical Toyota owner.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:30 am 

He speaks the truth.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 am 

Been a while since I updated this. lately Ive been tumbling and polishing all the old fasteners, brackets, fittings and stuff. What a tedious process. Also took the steering box down and degreased, stripped and painted it along with the steering linkage. I'll try to post pics tonight. Hoping to have it all remounted this weekend and that I don't screw up the steering in the process.

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Updates??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 am 

I know it's been along time since I have updated this but just so you know the project is coming back to life, here is a little proof the project is still underway.

I restored and reinstalled the headlight buckets and bezels

Started working on the engine.

Originally I planned to go with dual weber 40 DCOE carbs but decided to go with a single weber 38 DGAS just for simplicity's sake and to get it running and painted, ultimately I think an engine swap may be in the future anyway. who cares really, let's just see how fun and satisfying it is to drive once I get it finished...then we can talk swaps.

Today I have the head loaded in the trunk of my car going to the machine shop to get the guides,valves etc. installed so I can bolt this thing on it's bottom half.....I'm getting a little excited :)

Last edited by Crash1976 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 pm 

Wow, I have no idea how I missed this thread the first time through... :P

Great work so far! :tu:

How is it Jeff has never drug you out to any of our local old school meets? I hope you'll at least bring out the Celica when it's done. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:33 pm 

I have a set of Mikuni 40PHH sidedrafts for sale if you are still considering the dual carb setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 pm 

If you want to do a cool setup, have you also considered getting an intake fabbed up and use motorcycle carbs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:19 am 

I've known Jeff for 13 years we go waaay back. He's been telling me about your meets.....maybe one day mamma will let me out of the house...believe me she'll have to chain me up to keep me in when the celica is done....i won't be able to keep it in the garage away from the world...I'll be dying to get it out...already am actually.

I already had dual 40 DCOEs with a Mikuni manifold. I still needed a fuel pump, head machine work, gaskets, coil, etc. On top of that the 40's really needed a going through by a professional before I would have felt comfy putting them on. So I sold the Carbs and manifold and used the money to score a brand new redline 38 DGAS, blaster coil,fuel pump and money for machine work and gaskets...not to mention the 38 is new and probably easier to plug n' play.

I have been working on this car for soooo loooong I just want to finish it....whatever the cost, I want it done and on the road!

And to answer the last question, no, i have never considered motorcycle carbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:48 pm 

You might want to, they pop up on ebay all the time for really cheap, I got a set of CBR 900RR carbs for 65 dollars, the only thing you really have to do from what I'm hearing and discussing on another forum is that you have to drill out the main jet and your supposedly good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm 

gryffinwings wrote:
You might want to, they pop up on ebay all the time for really cheap, I got a set of CBR 900RR carbs for 65 dollars, the only thing you really have to do from what I'm hearing and discussing on another forum is that you have to drill out the main jet and your supposedly good to go.

I'm glad some people "on another forum" are telling you that's all you need to do to install the carbs and have them "good to go". The fact that anyone even suggested to you that you drill a main jet out, should have been reason enough for you to discount anything they might have told you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:36 pm 

Jeff was telling me this is a less unusual mod overseas.....don't know anything about drill'n no jets tho'...don't think I would just go drill'n on carbs without a really really good understanding of what the heck i was doing.... Just the same I'm going to stick with what I have for now. Honestly, when I am ready to move on from the current setup, it will be a more involved upgrade than just a new carb setup...maybe 3SGE or similar swap...but don't quote me yet.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 146 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next