Haven't done much on this, short of collect bits. I study full time, and work two jobs, so I haven't had time lately. I'm now on holidays for the next month from my studies so will likely be getting into this thing.
Took starter, inlet manifold, carb and dizzy off to give them a clean and fit some fresh bits, as well as a test for the starter.
As a note, water blasters rule for cleaning anything. Mine dominated the really built up crap on the starter and inlet manifold
Starter came up well, took ages to clean. Was really gunked up. Warmed it up with a hair dryer, hit it with degreaser, let it sit for a few minutes, then smashed it with waterblaster
Manifold was straight forward
I took the carb to bits and cleaned it by hand. Blew out the jets, checked all the linkages, and gave them a squirt of WD40. Seems to be happy.
Found my valve cover
Also bought a new dizzy cap and rotor for the dizzy. The leads are 10mm items, so I'll keep them as they seem to be sweet.
Threw some paint on manifold. Is fuel/heat etc resistant. Looks balls in photo, is actually alright
As the 4G63 had a "blown head gasket", I whipped head off, and no wonder. The back four head bolts were way too easy to undo, clearly not torqued up right.
Bores looks good, though this pic is quite average. Can see honing which is usually a good sign, and no scoring which is a relief.
Figure I may as well give the ports a tidy up while it's out. Basically just want to remove the casting marks, which you can see quite clearly here, and maybe look at where the airflow hits after it passes the valve. I actually really like this picture.
Further to the rust issues on the front left guard, I managed to get one more cunty bolt out today, and pull the guard away from the sill. The fucking chrome trim literally fell off, along with a hunk of the guard. Yeah, pretty fucked :doubt:
However, sill looks solid enough, if crusty. Will slam it with angle grinder at home when it's driveable and rust-proof it
Decided to take radiator out, due to BHG. I was also concerned at possibility of rust underneath, as the Celeste had a bit there. Luckily it was all clear, if a bit yuck. (ongoing theme of this car).
Radiator looks mint. No bent fins of note, cap looks new also, and good coloured water came out. Fucking choice. Will flush it out and check for leaks with my trusty waterblaster, as I should be able to get some pressure up with it
Cleaned up and blew out fuel pump
Here's the HG and where it blew I reckon
Took to head to bits and water blasted it.
One weird and possibly worrying aspect is this welding
As it touches on the cam lobe seat
I figure it's been sweet thusfar, I'll slam it in and see what happens
Picked up some belts and shit. Just gotta go pickup the gasket kit and I'll be almost ready. Just need the head to be checked for trueness
Also have a bunch of fuel lines, vacuum lines, battery cabling I made up and new head, inlet, exhaust and rocker cover gaskets, as well as a near new timing cover.
Made the mistake of playing with my distributor, and lost a couple bits, so will have to track another one down now