#
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: edit
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:50 pm 
edit

Last edited by Datsunrides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:54 pm 
edit

Last edited by Datsunrides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:22 pm 
Administrator

This is too cool. Props for taking on such a project. There's a pretty complete '79(?) wagon in a SoCal junkyard. Some ppl here are heading down to there this weekend possibly so maybe let them know if you want anything.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/20 ... ationship/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:32 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Pretty cool and let me know if you need anything. I can get the # for a subaru only JY up here that has a 73 in it and has had it for awhile, just no motor in it though. And as for the front rotors you can pull them off that wagon and unbolt the hub from the rotors, that way you have a extra pair. And for the engine, if the original is weak, might look into the 1600 that is in that wagon too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 pm 
edit

Last edited by Datsunrides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:49 pm 
edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:50 pm 
While doing some more blasting this evening, I uncovered someones attempt at a repair right at the seam where the horizontal "shelf" meets the vertical firewall. It is pretty much centered around the plate where the spare tire would sit. The "repair" seems to have been some sort of material similar to fiberglass. Anyhow, I started grinding out the spot welds that hold the tire mount to the shelf to see the extents of the grot. BTW, where in the heck were they expecting that thing to go? Must be 20+ spot weld holding it down!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:51 pm 
Got the tire plate thingy off and the news is not good. :( The area underneath the very rear part of the plate is gone. I can see the inside of the car from under the hood! :eek: Hoping for some better news, I cut some of the grot out to access the area under the cowl and initially it looked good, until I started poking around. Turns out that part is completely rusted thru also. I guess I will have to pull the dash out and see just how far the rust has gone. If it's not much worse than what I see now, I will probably go ahead and fix it when I get a chance. If it's worse, it may mean the end of the car as a driver. :( Well, this sure throws a wrench in the plan for a quick turnaround. RUST SUCKS!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:52 pm 
edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:53 pm 
edit

Last edited by Datsunrides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

looks like you have been busy to say the least, my little project will have a bit more rust but it will be done in the same fashion but will be welded and not epoxied in place

have you looked into a rotisserie? might make things better and easier for you in the long run

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 pm 
Well, that is a compilation of about a month's work. I do have a rotisserie but the underside of this car is pretty flat, so doing the floors, when I do, will be pretty easy. Plus, I was not expecting to have to do so much at this time. The plan was to basically clean up the engine compartment, not do the full restore now. I don't want this comment to come across as being cheap or not caring about the car, but it simply is not worth the effort required to bring it back to 100% original. If the area was a critical structural area, I would weld the metal back in (or have sold/parted the car). The top of the shelf seems to be a structural part, as it is 14Ga metal, which is pretty thick for sheet metal, so that will be welded back in. It will just be the places under the dash that get overlapped and epoxied. Mind you, this is a structural adhesive specifically for panel joining, not some 5 minute epoxy from the hardware store. I wish the upside for this car was something that would be worth 5K + when done, but I don't see a market for this car that would spend that kind of money. I don't necessarily plan on selling anytime soon, but you never know what the future holds, and if I do have to sell, I don't want to lose my shirt on it. My time, while technically free, is still worth someting, no matter how small it may be! :lol:

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:01 pm 

nice work!

looks good!

I know very little about sand blasters but from the looks of this I absolutely must look into owning one!

the color is nice too can't wait to see that done!

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:45 pm 
Administrator

That's awesome... more than what a lot of ppl would put into a car. You might not be able to find a US buyer for that car but I'm sure there's someone in Japan would would pay top dollar for it. Anyway, I applaud your efforts and good luck with the rest! I can't wait for the next update!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 pm 
love it, I am obsessed with Subarus...especially the ones that you dont get to see on a regular basis (getting sick of all the WRX's rolling around haha)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:13 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I bet for you in North Dakota lol, are you actually in Minot or nearby? My wifes reservation is near there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:42 am 
I'm looking forward to seeing it in that green paint!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:04 pm 
Just finalized the purchase of a parts car to hopefully get this project jumpstarted. Found it in Oklahoma of all places. Man, these suckers are hard to find! Tried to pick it up over xmas, but was thwarted by a blizzard where the car was. Ended up finding a person to deliver it to me since I do not have the time to try and get it again. Should be at my door this coming Saturday. Here it is,

The bonus to this car is it has air conditioning, which I understand is quite rare! Probably dealer installed, but I don't care. Saves me from having to do something custom.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:12 pm 
Administrator

Sweet. hope you can use the cowl/firewall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:55 pm 
ben wrote:
Sweet. hope you can use the cowl/firewall

Actually, I have already scratch built a new cowl section already, for the most part. I bought this primarily for some trim type items, grill, and bumpers and whatever else happens to be better on it than what I currently have.

Mark

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next