#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 99 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: New member with a new to me 1983 Skyline RSX
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm 

Hi,

New to the forum. I imported this 83 DR30 a few weeks ago, getting back into classic car ownership. The car is in good shape over all, and i'm pleased with it so far. It's a non-intercooled FJ20. Any other R30 or DR30 owners on here? :D

Chris
Richmond VA

Last edited by Cycletech on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm 

Dang I'm jealous... :P

Welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 pm 
JNC Fanatic

datsunfreak wrote:
Dang I'm jealous... :P

Welcome aboard!
Haha took the words right out of my mouth. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 am 

Welcome Aboard! Im also a DR30 owner.. there are a few of us on JNC.. Yours looks very clean and Original!

Not trying to Hi-jack but here is a link to my DR

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1552&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dr30

Here is a couple of DR30's from NZ

and a HR30 From NZ

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1861&highlight=dr30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:31 am 
Killer 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:57 am 

benny_blanco wrote:
Welcome Aboard! Im also a DR30 owner.. there are a few of us on JNC.. Yours looks very clean and Original!

Not trying to Hi-jack but here is a link to my DR

Hey thanks for the links. Nice DR30! Is see your factory boost limit valve is gone. What kind of boost are you running with the bigger turbo?

I need some rear window seals for mine. Any Nissan suppliers you know of that ship to the US?

I've seen the RS Turbo that's in California, but haven't seen any Iron Mask DR30's in the states yet other than mine. I'm going to a local Nissan meet on Sunday, maybe I can track down some more.

I have a factory R30 parts manual from Saudi Arabia if it will help anyone. It's for the LHD cars sold in that Market. It doesn't include any FJ20 parts. :( It does include some interesting things like "tropics" radiator options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:22 pm 

I don't own a skyline, but a 78 Toyota Cressida, but that's aside the fact that you live in VA!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:46 am 

currently the moment my car is running 12psi with my VG30 Ball Bearing turbo. with 121RWKW / 157 RWHP.

there are quite a few DR30 nuts on Skylines Australia who are much more knowledgable then myself, Here is a link where they all hang out (In the classic section)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Classic-Skylines-f77.html

Have you tried your local Nissan dealer? I managed to get some parts through them before.

Also somwhere on www.fj20.com there should be some diagrams with part numbers.

Any plans for your skyline or keeping it show room?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:32 am 

Thanks for the info. I have a line on some coming from Australia. I have what I think is the part # but it comes up here as a b13 Sentra seal. The part #'s must be shared..? Most dealers here wouldn't even entertain the thought of ordering something special for you. That goes for MC dealers too.

I plan on keeping the car stock for the time being and just working on fixing all the little things it needs. It was taken care of for years by the looks of it, and let to slip away the last few years. I did order some cheap ($387 shipped(4)) XXR 513 wheels for it until I do an S13 suspenion swap or something similar. The rotors and pads don't exist here in the US so when it needs brakes that will be the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 am 

Ex-DR30 owner here, I've had two actually a sedan and a coupe both RS's, one turbo one NA. I loved the NA, thought it was a really nicely balanced car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:28 am 

That might sound right.. I remember awhile ago someone telling me the rubber seal was interchangable with some other models.... but there is a metal strip on the rubber aswell that is unique to the dr30... but be carefull not to damage the metal strip as there are no spares of that left.

Good to hear you are leaving yours original, If mine had come original I would of done the same.

From what I've learnt 4 stud Z31 brakes are ment to be almost Identical to DR30 brakes, so you should be alright there and not need to convert to s13 bits.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Dr30-Z31-Compatability-t208745.html&hl=z31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:57 pm 

wow

that is wonderful

seriously we need to have a south east meet (just so I can come see that)

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:27 am 

beautifull car welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:07 am 

I'm up for a South East meet! I missed the local Nissan meet in Richmond yesterday due to a faulty fuel pump.

I went to drive the car on Saturday. It started up fine like always, and then shut off about 10 seconds later. It wouldn't restart and I didn't have time to work on it right then and there.

Later in the day I tracked it down to a faulty fuel pump. A quick tap on the pump and the car fired right up. Ok, needs a new pump. This quickly turned into a can of worms. While removing the pump I used fuel line crimpers to stop the flow of fuel from the tank to the pump. This easily split the old dried out line and I had fuel leaking everywhere! I quickly jacked the car up and drained the tank by removing the drain plug. Thank god it had one!

The pump is a Unisia Jecs part # A42 611910 with 1531A below the first #.

I can't find much on Unisia Jecs. I did find a Bosch cross reference chart but it didn't have this part# listed. I may end up with a universal Bosch or Walbro pump in place of the original. If anyone has any input on what to get, please let me know. Would putting a high flow pump in there be a problem for the pressure regulator?

The fuel line I managed to split.

Every other rubber fuel line on the car will be changed at the same time. This return line has been in need of replacement for some time.

Injector hoses are suspect too. Maybe I should send the injectors out to be cleaned?

Spending some time under the car I didn't find any rust issues. The only thing I did see is a small rust spot on the spare tire well. You can barely make out the 4-way adjustable shocks in the background.

Last edited by Cycletech on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:57 am 

I have something for you....

your pump looks just like ours so this should work for you as well
you should be fine with a walbro or whatever.

Bram_R wrote:
in case your external oem XT fuel pump dies, a cheap alternative is buying an aftermarket pump from Walbro or something. These pumps are cheaper than oem pumps, and provide plenty of flow. Pump range is 115 to 255 liter/hour, depending on your needs.

to have it all connected properly, see pics:

on suction side you'll need: 1 pcs of pn. 128-3015 (straight hose pillar, M10x1 to 12mm hose).
on pressure side you'll need (for 90 degree exit): 1 pcs of pn. 128-3042 (banjo fitting, M10x1 to 14mm banjo).
source a 14mm banjo (+copper rings) to 8mm hose barb from somewhere else.

Fit the Walbro pump to your original fuel pump bracket, connect the wires, and you're good to go!
I ordered my stuff at http://www.fuel-pumps.net

Bram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:43 am 

Zukiru,

Thanks for that! Where did you dig that up? Even the connector looks the same.

I ended up with a common pump from an 89 M3. It's the same one used on all the big BMW sixes so the flow is good. It's only a 3 bar pump, i didn't see the need for a 5 bar pump (which is easier to get aftermarket) on a stock motor. If I go to a higher flow injector and start raising the boost I may move up to a 5 bar.

I installed the pump last night and in process of changing every rubber fuel line in the car, even down to the injector lines. Now is the time, I don't want any leaks or fires. :shock:

If I can get to it later as well the master cylinder is leaking and needs a rebuild. I guess I need to be suspect of all rubber parts on the car..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 am 
JNC Fanatic

My SSR EX-C rims were on an R30 before they were imported to go on my 240sx, if that's any consellation. LOL 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 am 

Cycletech wrote:
Zukiru,

Thanks for that! Where did you dig that up? Even the connector looks the same.

that's from our Subaru XT board...
I imagine an XT pump would fit your car nicely.

so how hard was the import? lots of fees and paper work?

I really love the car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:24 pm 

KresSlyda180 wrote:
My SSR EX-C rims were on an R30 before they were imported to go on my 240sx, if that's any consellation. LOL 8)

They had a good first life :D

And second i'm sure :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:35 pm 

zukiru wrote:
Cycletech wrote:
Zukiru,

that's from our Subaru XT board...
I imagine an XT pump would fit your car nicely.

so how hard was the import? lots of fees and paper work?

I really love the car!

I had an XT6 for a while back in the 90's. Fun car. The headlight switch gave up at 2am in the Adirondack mountains, and the car left soon after.

Importing wasn't the easiest thing. I would do it again now that I know all the hoops to jump through. I made some mistakes and got burned by the broker in Japan too. The one thing I can say is if anyone is thinking of doing it, do your homework thoroughly before you pull the trigger. I'd be willing to help anyone if they need it, or maybe write up my experience for future RSX owners. :mrgreen:

I put my new fuel pump in, replaced all the rubber fuel lines, rebuilt the master cylinder, and mounted my new wheels yesterday. Tell me what you think. I drove the car 120 miles round trip to work today and it did great.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 99 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next