#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 88 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: 1969 Toyota Crown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:18 am 

well i got it! i jumped on a greyhound friday night at 11:40 and took it to daytona beach to pick it up and drive back. the trip didnt go quite as planned but i made it. i arrived at 11 am and jumped in the car. it was suggested that i get new tires, but i tend to ignore resonable advice. first misstep was a tire blowout at 70 mph. i changed it and went to a wal-mart up the road and bought new tires. wal-mart being the effeciate monopoly it is, i was back on the road 3 hours later! so it's getting dark and the exhaust is driving me crazy. the PO put a brand new exhaust system on it, but somehow managed to blow a huge hole in the muffler with an carb/ether experiment. well it started cutting out at the top end and the battery decided to crap out on me everytime i stopped. it took nearly 2 hours to jump/kick start at one gas station. so i stayed the night in macon and tried it again the next day. well i knew i had AAA and they would tow me 100 miles so when i saw a sign that said "Atlanta 85 miles" i called and got towed the rest of the way. i got it dropped off at oreilly's near my house where John works.{zerogarage} he throws on a new fuel pump and fixed my little problem and she is in my driveway. fun trip seeing that the backfires where deafening and the brakes took a whole exit ramp to stop this monster. i can't wait to start working on this thing, i am even considering sellling my datsuns to fund the project. these pictures are from the PO, since my camara is busted. overall for a extremly rare car it is in good shape, a few dings, some hail damage and a few rusty spots, but straight body. grat engine, brand new carbthat i bought, po installed for me. he was really cool, holding the car for me and picking me up at the greyhound and all. i am the 3rd owner, but the second never really drove it. it is a north dakata car, equipped with a block heater. 50000 original miles, lots of cool paperwork, and a mint condition toyota tool/jack set complete the package. plus cool fuzzy dice on the mirror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:57 pm 
Administrator

This was the on in Florida, right? Good job on the rescue and glad you made it home safe. I would hate that color on a modern car, but on this baby I absolutely love it!

I hope you didn't have to use that mind condition tool kit during the blowout! ;)

What are your plans for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm 

i love/hate the color also! i did use the tool kit, but only the cool bumper jack. it's not mint, just the tools. the PO acually used the wenches for the first time to install the carb i sent him. cant really tell, but i wish he hadn't!
plans are everywhere at this point. i like cars to be original, but i also like fast, black cars! hard to say. i have some cheap wheels in mind for this weekend. but just wheels alone are is going to be a hard decision. it needs some rust repair, so i have to decide on keeping the color or not when that is done. interior stays the stock for sure, except new carpet. the clock, dash lights, and cig lighters dont work, but i haven't even checked the fuses yet. i really want that clock to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:48 pm 

Looks minty fresh. congratulations on your acquisition and good luck on you project. Keep us posted.

Visit my on-line parts store[url="http://sidsparts.multiply.com/"]http://sidsparts.multiply.com/[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:37 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Wasn't this car on craigslist for about $650 or BO..... or something like that, not too long ago?

Anyways, nice job on rescuing another old school Japanese classic from the evil clutches of the Chinese scrap mongers. :wink:

You, lucky mofo.. AND it's a manual. Wish my Cressida was. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:59 pm 

it was on craigs, and ebay. i dont know why none of you guys got it before me! i paid 800! but he did a lot of work on it for me like flushing the fluids and installing a new carb i sent him. he even checked the timing and many other things. plus he let me use his tag to get out of florida. appartly they are a lot more strict than GA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:00 pm 

Fantastic.....i love these 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:53 pm 

Very nice! I saw that and if it were closer, I would have picked it up to match mine! NICE COLOR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 pm 

nice man! did you re-paint or is that original? what motor is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 pm 
Administrator

CharlieBucket wrote:
it was on craigs, and ebay. i dont know why none of you guys got it before me! i paid 800! but he did a lot of work on it for me like flushing the fluids and installing a new carb i sent him. he even checked the timing and many other things. plus he let me use his tag to get out of florida. appartly they are a lot more strict than GA.

Now that is a dream seller!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 pm 

that paint is as I got it. Been repainted but still the original color. Engine = small block Chevy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 pm 

congrats, Charlie!

'85 DD GT-S - '76 TE31 - '76 TE-wagon - '77 mystery car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:55 pm 
JNC Fanatic

CharlieBucket wrote:
plus he let me use his tag to get out of florida. appartly they are a lot more strict than GA.

They can't be that strict.. I heard they don't even need inspection stickers.. and back in the day, you can even tint your front windshield. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:06 pm 

charlie whats up man nice crown i would love to have one it kinda reminds me of my moms old chrysler no sell the dattos man but let me know how much shiping would be on the b 210 if you do :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 pm 

i as wondering if anyone would say something about the datsun selling comment. i need to sell my 620 pick-up, since i cant drive it comfortably. 6"3 and a single cab 1970's pick-up dont mix. i just think its the coolest truck ever made. i dont think i could sell the b210.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 am 

Nice pickup Charlie, I had saved the guy's email to contact him in case he didn't sell, but good to see someone else is going to fix it up. I'm busy with my ZZT231 Celica and MS122 Crown 6M-GE swap so no way I could have gotten it anytime soon. Gratz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 pm 

Very adventerous trip charliebucket! 8)
A manual floorshift? cool! Mine's a 3spd column shift w/o.d. I wonder how many people competent enought to work on that kind of tranny are around here!
I'd retain its color if i were you. And even the chrome wheelcovers. Both give it an authentic look.

ps. my column shift handle was discarded when it was re-engined with a diesel(still have the 2m and tranny though). Any help in obtaining one is greatly appreciated. If i don't succeed in finding it, will one from another toyota of the time fit pl?

many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:16 pm 

GSBoek-he told me he had a lot of email addresses saved from all over the world that showed interest in the car! i guess being in Atlanta i was actually the closest buyer.

Crown69-i have no idea about column shifters. this is the only crown I've ever seen. are you talking about column manual or automatic shifter? auto should adapt from another Toyota i would think. plus i have only ever owned datsuns and Nissan's, this is my first Toyota. i got very lucky, in this part of the country old Japanese cars are very hard to find. i never saw in your project thread about a diesel motor, but i did notice the hole in the floor for a shifter. i thought you had the same tranny as me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:47 am 

CB, its a 3spd manual w/od column shifter. Ihave since welded up the hole in the floor. I don't think there were auto column shift crowns, maybe anyone out there will correct me if I'm wrong.
Good luck with your crown, and lets see her take over her reign anew! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:09 pm 

Crown69:
There is an auto column shift for 50 series crown, the 3-speed is the only column shifted manual, the repair manual doesnt know of a floor shifter for the 3 speed. I have three rs56 crowns, all are floor shifted even though all cars have bench seats. I have all the factory repair manuals at hand for crowns series 40 through 110. The only other toyota shifter that could fit i would imagine to be like a 60 series shifter but even that wouldnt be a direct fit.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 88 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next