#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Elky's JT 191f
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm 

here is my JDM Isuzu Gemini JT coupe

i got it in 2004 from a auction yard, replaced the coolant sensor, serviced the fuel system and got it on the road for my missus

We dont drive it often, but it is fun and pretty quick

has been a great little car, but now we are selling it because we dont drive it often and i want to register my ZZ/T

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 pm 
Not bad.. have some pride and hold onto her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:12 pm 

Are those very popular down there? They never caught on much here with the "enthusiast" crowd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:40 pm 

They were never availible new down here, only as a private import so numbers a pretty low.

Problem is, the Gemini was well known and loved in Aus for its RWD chassis, handling and modification ability. Ever since the first FWD gemini was released in Aus, the name went downhill.

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
Administrator

datsunfreak wrote:
Are those very popular down there? They never caught on much here with the "enthusiast" crowd...

I will have one someday and start my own crew. I want the Canadian model, the Asuna Sunfire :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:30 pm 

F3ARED wrote:
Problem is, the Gemini was well known and loved in Aus for its RWD chassis, handling and modification ability. Ever since the first FWD gemini was released in Aus, the name went downhill.

I'm shaking my head. I've always found the Australian people to be more honest and upstanding than anyone else. But the Australian motoring press would have instigated a rebellion and secession from the planet if they had been around in 1770 and we would be remembering Australian independence before US independence...

The JT150/190 (the FWD Gemini that ruined the Gemini name in Australia) chassis has serious limitations. The solid beam rear axle means no adjustment to the rear alignment, and it handles like an a-typical front wheel drive car.
The JT151/191 as is Elky's import model, has a much more sophisticated independent rear suspension that handles more like a RWD car.

But, with hard work, the JT150/190 can be a very potent race car that causes serious ulcers for owners and drivers of much more expensive cars.
What I have often referred to as "the crap box FWD" is a JT190 hatchback, converted over to JT191F engine, engine wiring harness, and ECU (Elky's engine in a Geo Spectrum). It is a stock rebuild with aftermarket parts, as in "when you do not care enough to send the very best". It is supposed to be 130 HP, but this is the spare engine, not built even for the best stock output.
The car will match the lap time on an autocross course of a 2002 BMW M3.
The competition in my racing class is a Lotus Elise Supercharged. Last year, he was second place in points. That's a $55,000 car, against a $500 car.
July 26, I had the Lotus Elise Supercharged dead to rights, but my ignition system conked out (bad solder connection/plug crimp connection in the transplanted harness).
Next Sunday, we will see who wins.
By the August 30 race, my redesigned front suspension should be done and things should be seriously tilted in my favor.

I'll be the first to admit that I am a lousy driver, but I am apparently a very good designer. And I am out slicing and dicing with what is considered to be the best handling track day car on the market at this time, in a crap box economy car. He has 12.5% more engine displacement, 88 more HP, 20 years of development, and the finest English suspension designers in the business. And I am continually slapping him in the face with a $500 crap box.

There is a lot of potential in the JT150/190, that the Australian press never saw, and a lot more in the JT151/191 that they never had a chance to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:13 pm 

Beleive me i understand what your saying, having driven a few JT191's including a ZZ Sedan i know they handle really well for a FWD. I hold no misconceptions about that.

The problem for the Gemini is this. It was THE best-selling small car for 10yrs running. Granted, by the early 80s everyone had moved to FWD and, although dated, and selling well, it was clearly time for updating.

The RB Gemini [JT150] had big shoes to fill because of the above. Sadly, in the spec we recieved it, it had no chance of achieving that. Sure, interior space and refinement were better, but that wasnt what the Gemini was about in Australia - it was simply the car you bought your wife to do the shopping in, that you could pinch and have fun with and go hooning around in.

Hence australias obsession with all manners of engine conversions in Geminis. That, and our obsession with RWD, oversteer and burnouts doesnt do it any favours.

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 pm 

JT191 wrote:
There is a lot of potential in the JT150/190, that the Australian press never saw...

My common complaint of the worldwide motoring press is that they never seem to see potential. They over-analyze the car in bone stock form and never consider what a few minor tweaks can do.

For an example, my Versa was reviewed as being "good at what it does, hauling groceries and kids, but being uninspiring to drive". With a few bucks and minimal labor I have made mine very fun to drive. But no one in the motoring press looks at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm 

i sadly have sold this JT, but even better was i got my ZZ/T registered

and yes i am having miles more fun.....being RWD with a super tight lsd u might guess why..... :lol:

It is easily the best handling gem i have had to date, tho my rotor gem will be better again i am hoping

cheers

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]