#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1980 Montrose
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:41 am 
I picked up a Montrose a few weeks back, 47k on the clock and one owner from new. It had been sat for 15 years before I found it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:41 am 
I will be restoring it in the new year :)

The tow bar has been removed! (Not the sort of thing I would fit!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:32 am 
JNC Fanatic

Welcome aboard Brett, man sweet ride, I love those series coupes, love to add one to the collection. Looks like it's in really good condition, making your job a bit easier. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:47 am 
It's pretty good, theres been a knock at the front end - and it has a few rust holes here and there, but nothing terminal :)

Looking to drop in the running gear from one of my Rx7's in time for Rotorstock 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 am 
Administrator

Awesome find! Love the brown color and the name... "Montrose" LOL!
What are your plans for it?

Welcome to JNC 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:06 am 
JNC Enthusiast

is that a 626 coupe???...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:17 am 

pretty sure its a 626 coupe..... seen one near me quite regulary... dont know how common these are in australia but i have seen quite a few

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:01 am 
In the UK the 626 was initially badged as the Mazda Montrose, only the later generation were called 626.
The one I have is a Pillarless coupe, it was specced especially for a disabled couple in 1979 and delivered in 1980. (Hence why it is an auto - automatic versions were not generally available in the UK until 1981 when it became an option)

The spec of my Montrose is:

2.0 MA engine
Head lamp washers
Electric boot release
Electric wing mirror
Radio
...Although strangely it doesn't have hazard lights!

With a bit of luck the weather will clear this weekend and i can get some work done on it!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:25 am 

Looks ripe for a 13b! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:30 pm 
JNC Fanatic

benny_blanco wrote:
pretty sure its a 626 coupe..... seen one near me quite regularly... don't know how common these are in Australia but i have seen quite a few

Yeah man, it's the 626 coupe, our English friends just had a cooler badge name. Some of the Montrose range too, had a different front nose panels with a deeper recessed bonnet line. This was common to some of the European countries as well. I believe though it was only for the CB rwd series though, I think it got the normal 626 badging like ours when the FWD version arrived.

WE got both series 1 and 2 CB rwd coupes, but we got a lot more of the later plastic bumper version, late 1980 onwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:18 am 

Is it just me,or does that gold-ish colored car have an obscene amount of negative camber in the rear? Were they equipped with independent rear suspension?

Very cool car!!! I wish we still had older Mazda's around here,but they all went to the big salt shed in the sky long ago.

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:37 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Mazdax605 wrote:
Is it just me,or does that gold-ish colored car have an obscene amount of negative camber in the rear? Were they equipped with independent rear suspension?

Very cool car!!! I wish we still had older Mazda's around here,but they all went to the big salt shed in the sky long ago.

Hey Chris, I think its just my camera angle man! They're just some of my old Mazda brochure photo's. All of the CB RWD series were solid rear axle, running the trailing arm/coil spring set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:24 am 
ANyone know if the rear end on the Montrose will poke up with the 280bhp/250ft-lb I'm intending to put through it? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 am 

Superb motor, I love the Montrose! You should bring it to the next OJC event (TBA), the Montrose is one of those obscurities we get a bit exciteable about.

I did ponder buying that one for some time, but I'm holding out for the (probably extinct) 4-door. Hopefully one will turn up at some point, no doubt in a suitably grandad-style colour and spec.

Good luck with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:37 am 
Cool have signed up to OJC now as well :)

I'm currently on Mazda Rotary Club & Retro Car club too :)

My other half and I have a few cars on the go ;)

4 Rx7's, a 323 and the Montrose - plus an 89 Prelude :)

Not seen any four doors for years - theres a mint Coupe on Car and classic - but it's a might pricey! (£2800)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:02 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Mazdax605 wrote:

Actualy there is a realy nice one of those in Lynn Ma.! White with a black and tan two tone interior. An older guy owns it and I presume has since new. I have been trying to talk to him about it for the past couple of years but short of walking up to his door I have not had the chance yet.

'83 Sapporo Technica; '84 Starion ES; '80 Colt; '79 Cressida
'91 RX7 convertible; '68 Camaro SS 350 convertible; '71 NSU 1200c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am 

Wow, well done for saving this one Brett, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

If you turn up at an OJC, don't be surprised if I'm the first to come and see your Montrose!

I too looked at the one on C&C and saw it advertised some years ago, the logistics of getting it back from NI and lack of space are against it unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:26 am 
Where did you get the info regarding the number of surving cars etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 am 

I wrote to DVLA who passed me onto a subcontractor of data (effectively). Rather than pay hundreds of pounds or some such daft figure, a fellow took pity on me and discounted the fee considerably in exchange for some sketchy information on an Excel sheet, which I had to fiddle with to extract the appropriate information.

From this I managed to establish there appeared to be 16 of mine, which is the carburettor-engined first FWD 626s (Y-C reg). This does not however include SORN and other stored vehicles that have fallen outside of their record.

The main cause of the poor survival rate is the agreement on import quotas that continued into the mid 80s, and the comparative rarity of the Coupe variant to start with amongst the 626 import quota.

They are notoriously difficult to repair around the back end and are prone to rust in this area too, which have put paid to most of the rest.

The figure of 16 does not include the 2.0 EGi variant of the same shape (C-E reg). I'd suggest there are more of these left, but probably only 50 or so now running in the UK at a guess.

The figure may well be less now, but at this level I'd suggest that numbers will drop very slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 am 
Administrator

Congrats on getting it past the red tape!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next