#
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: edit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:56 pm 
edit

Last edited by Datsunrides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 pm 

Nice car. This should be an interesting project. Let us know how it turns out. I've got a 99 Galant with that engine in it. It is a very good engine from my experience. The only thing I don't like is the auto transmission. In a lightweight car like that it should haul!

1977 Toyota Celica GT liftback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:59 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Now does the Montero get the 2tc?

Post subject: Dang
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:09 pm 

Mark, thats heck of an engine choice! :shock: Should be a cinch for you, man, after seeing your other work on the other cars. Nice pick for a power plant. I know everyone was recommending you to put a 4AGE, but you wanted something different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:34 pm 
whit wrote:

:lol: Would you want to drive a 4000 lb truck with less than 100hp (and 2 speed toyoglide)? :lol:

Mike, when I asked for input on a Toyota board, I got exactly what I expected. That is, "why not use the T engine" or, like you said, "go 4AGE", even though I explaned my reasons for NOT wanting to go that route. I'm not going to lie, I'm not the biggest Toyota fan in the world. I think they make some cool cars, but much prefer Datsuns and Mitsu's(Dodges). With that said, the 2 door wagons are kinda unique and I figured it would be a fun build. This will be a driver for my wife, so I wanted the power and smoothness of a V6 engine and she much prefers automatics. Now, I am well aware either of the aforementioned Toyota 4 cylinders can make the power the V6 makes (175), but at what cost, both money wise and driveability. This also does not take into account the torque the Mitsu V6 makes. The overriding reason for going this way is simply for individuality, however, I would not have hesatated to go another way had the engine and trans not fit as well as it does. After all, I do want to finish the car and drive it rather then spend a lot of time fabricating stuff for a difficult swap. I bought the running "donor" for a very good price and figure by the time I sell whatever parts and the scrap value, I will have paid about $500-750 for the engine, trans, wiring, and computer. And I get the benefit of knowing this is a good running combo with no issues.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:08 am 

Is the white ke30 coupe in the background of the 1st photo yours too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:40 am 

Datsunrides wrote:
whit wrote:

Mike, when I asked for input on a Toyota board, I got exactly what I expected. That is, "why not use the T engine" or, like you said, "go 4AGE", even though I explaned my reasons for NOT wanting to go that route. I'm not going to lie, I'm not the biggest Toyota fan in the world. I think they make some cool cars, but much prefer Datsuns and Mitsu's(Dodges). With that said, the 2 door wagons are kinda unique and I figured it would be a fun build. This will be a driver for my wife, so I wanted the power and smoothness of a V6 engine and she much prefers automatics. Now, I am well aware either of the aforementioned Toyota 4 cylinders can make the power the V6 makes (175), but at what cost, both money wise and driveability. This also does not take into account the torque the Mitsu V6 makes. The overriding reason for going this way is simply for individuality, however, I would not have hesatated to go another way had the engine and trans not fit as well as it does. After all, I do want to finish the car and drive it rather then spend a lot of time fabricating stuff for a difficult swap. I bought the running "donor" for a very good price and figure by the time I sell whatever parts and the scrap value, I will have paid about $500-750 for the engine, trans, wiring, and computer. And I get the benefit of knowing this is a good running combo with no issues.

Mark

That is going to be one ultimate SLEEPER/grocery getter. Glad to hear your wife likes or (loves) driving our kinds of cars. My wife will not even test drive or try driving my old school cars or let alone sit in the passenger seat without a silly comment :lol: . She does help me when I do need to bleed the brakes or if I need an extra hand :mrgreen: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:46 pm 
crown69 wrote:
Is the white ke30 coupe in the background of the 1st photo yours too?

It's actually a Datsun 1200. Have had it for almost 15 years!

Hey Mike, my wife is similar. She won't go in ANY of the unrestored cars or any that don't have at least new upholstry! And I still get silly comments from her. At least your will help bleed brakes. Mine I had to bribe. Now I have a might vac and speed bleeders! :) I did get to go yarding today and found some items that I hope will ease the install further. Got a steering rack from an AW11 to try out and grabbed a upper intake, left exhaust manifold, and valve cover with an oil fill cap (the Montero has a remote fill setup) from a 95' Chrysler Cirrus with a mitsu 2.5 V6. Looks like it should bolt on pretty well and save some fabrication time. Hope to put in some time over Thanksgiving and will post some pics of progress if I do.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:44 pm 
Well, made some more progress over Thanksgiving. The AW11 rack would have taken more work than I wanted to do to make work, so I "modified" the stock steering to work. I took a "shortcut" and simply lengthened the steering stops. I only lost about 1/2 turn from full lock and I can live with that. The Chrysler intake did it's part in allowing me to close the hood. I will have to fab up a new connection for the throttle body as the intake angles the throttle body mount right at the water outlet and there is no way to bolt on the throttle body. Pretty easy fix with a little welding. The Chrysler exhaust manifold bolted on nicely and avoids the steering box. Started modifying the trans crossmember and should have that, along with the motor mounts fabbed up and welded by the end of the week (hopefully). Looks like I can use the stock 2TC rubber mounts and simply cut and relocate the frame mounts back about 3" or so. Spend a day stripping the Montero of its shifter and instrument cluster and started the tedious task of pulling the wiring harness for the fuel injection/trans control/instrument cluster (no turning back now!). Still have about a full day of tracing wires to make sure everything is accounted for. Still will need to slice and dice the sway bar to clear the oil filter. (kinda need that) Overall, I'm quite pleased the swap has gone so smoothly so far. I hope to be able to fire it up before the end of Feburary, as there are still a lot of thing that need to be done, not the least of which is transplanting the wiring and installing an internal fuel pump. I will try and get some pics up soon. I know everyone love pics!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:50 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

what about relocating the oil filter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:22 pm 
edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:01 am 

Hi Mark,
The swap is looking sweet.

There are a few options for the oil filter. The SOHC 24V cars have a different filter mounts but may not move it enough for your needs. Plus the oil passages where the front mount filter goes are not all the same. A bit of welding and grinding to the adapter allows swapping though.

The early oil pump will move the filter to the passenger side and both the 3000GT and Montero filter adapter mount will bolt up. The cars mounted the filter in the down position next to the sump where the trucks tucked the filter up high. Some of the cars and all the trucks have oil cooler provisions on the mount.

You do need to watch the where the oil sump mates to the pump, there are two different radius there. It may just be the early ones that are different.
The latest Montero oil pump also has the filter back to the passenger side and the early filter brackets bolt to it also. This should have the same mating to your oil sump too.

faster, Faster, FASTER, Over the hill and accelerating.
http://classiccolt.forumcircle.com
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Old-Colt
www.ffmsd.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:30 am 
Thanks Charlie. You are a wealth of knowlede as usual :tu: . I did see some options as you were saying on the different models but I think I would just be swapping the issue from one side to the other. I did notice on the 2.5 "chrysler" motor the filter location is on the side of the block, rather than off the oil pump, but see no provision on my block. That would have been ideal.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:42 am 

The changes are all in the alloy pump housing. For the most part the blocks are all the same, till you get to the fine detail level. The changes such as between FWD or RWD are all in the bolton parts. When the engine has a passenger side oil filter, the filter bracket mounts to the pump, not the block. Makes it very nice for swap and fit situations as you are in.

www.ffmsd.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:20 am 

Nice work fella.....i love a bit of cross-breeding!

That's going to be a nice useable ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 pm 
edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:12 pm 

Looking nice, Very nice.

www.ffmsd.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:29 pm 
i rekon you should go for the Lexus 4.0 quad cam V8

and the 4AG*** has been done to death

MATT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 pm 
edit

Last edited by Datsunrides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 72' TE28 restoration and repowered
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 am 

:shock: :shock: :shock: great work!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next