#
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Calling all Texans! Please read!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:31 pm 

We have been having our local DFW old school meet on the first Sunday of the month for a few months now and are planning to continue on that way. Some in the Austin area (and other outlying areas) have mentioned that Sunday night is a bad time as it does not allow them ample time to get home. Honestly this was not originally intended to be a statewide meet, but rather a local DFW meet, so...

I have an idea I want to bounce off of you... :P

What if someone in the Austin/Round Rock area, and someone in the Houston area, did what we did? What if someone in those two key areas stepped up and organized a monthly get-together? What if we could have three simultaneous meets going every month, then we could about twice a year combine all the meets in one central place? Maybe Waco? Maybe Killeen/Temple? Maybe April and October?

Anyone up to the challenge? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:39 pm 
If another Austin/Round Rock guy wants to help I'm in.

There's even a Saturday night street meet that we can crash. Heck I'm already there a couple of times a month anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:53 pm 

Well I would help with a Round Rock/Cedar Park/Austin meet. I'm sure my dad still knows a few of his Datsun buddies so I'll see.

Think we could get a meet up of at least 5 people by September 7th?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:04 pm 
I think we can manage it.

Got any place in mind for a Sunday evening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:56 pm 

Now that's what I wanted to hear. 8)

So who's up to bat for Houston?

If you two can put this together, keep us posted on your progress in this thread so we can also plan the combined meet as well. :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:14 am 

zhent wrote:
I think we can manage it.

Got any place in mind for a Sunday evening?

The first place that comes to mind is 620& I-35 spot just because of the saturday meet.

There is that railyard plaza near 183 and 1431 Or the Office Depot across from it. I've seen classic/muscle car owners meet there on saturdays as well.

The only spot I would say NOT to do it at is the HEB and Home Depot near the 1431 and Parmer intersection as the previous car meet was shut down.

These are just spots off the top of my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:54 am 
I like the 620 and I35 location as it's easy for folks coming from farther south to find and get in and out of. It's got a big empty, well lit parking lot and easy access to food.

I don't know anyplace easier that we wouldn't take the chance of getting kicked out of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:55 am 

Pretty cool idea. I will make sure the Starion guys down south get wind of this. I know my idea about moving the regular meet to a different day is unpopular, but perhaps the bi-annual mega-meet can be considered for a more mainstream time? It would be neat for family and friends to be able to attend. A good opportunity to get people not in the know, exposed to the joy of vintage Japanese autos. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 am 
What about San Antonio?

I'm sure something could easily be figured out here.

There's already a cruise in at a local bar/burger joint called Biff Buzby's every friday night. I've been once and it's pretty cool. They've got everything from some old 20's T-buckets on up to newer 350Z's and EVO's.

I can also talk to my boss. I work at a custom hot rod shop (www.choppedndiced.com) and we already have a monthly open house/car show on the third thursday of every month. A co-worker's friend usually brings out his "Coupe DeGrille", a 70ish Caddy with the trunk converted to a grill, and cooks up some food. My boss has been hinting lately that he'd like to consider getting into imports as well, since there's a market for that growing strongly. Chopped and Diced is in Seguin TX, about 30 minutes east of downtown San Antonio, so it wouldn't be too much of a drive. The only drawback would be the fact that it's on a weeknight- The same reason I can't drive up to DFW for their monthly meet.

We could also meet up at San Antonio Raceway. It's only a couple miles from my house so we would probably be able to find a way to incorporate some food or something into the mix. SAR is open to test and tune every wednesday and fridays and saturdays as well, when they don't have "big" events planned during the weekend.

I'm sure we could come up with something down here if there's intrest. My wife and I were both part of organizing a national Starion/Conquest meet with nearly 10k in prizes. media coverage, and cars that came from 1700 miles away. A simple monthly meet would be a piece of cake.

Oh, and if there is going to be a bi-anuall meet in DFW for all the sub groups to go to, I second that it be at a more mainstream time like saturday. I would deffinately be down to come to DFW for meets, but by the time I got up there friday after work it would be too late, and late sunday doesn't work as I'd have to leave there by 6pm to get home in time to get some sleep for work on monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:04 pm 

Burton wrote:
What about San Antonio?

Somewhere in the New Braunfels area would be good if you want to centralize for Austin and San Antonio?

Quote:
Oh, and if there is going to be a bi-anuall meet in DFW for all the sub groups to go to, I second that it be at a more mainstream time like saturday.

attack vector wrote:
Pretty cool idea. I will make sure the Starion guys down south get wind of this. I know my idea about moving the regular meet to a different day is unpopular, but perhaps the bi-annual mega-meet can be considered for a more mainstream time?

The bi-annual meets will be on Saturday afternoon/evening, hence the need for October and April. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:57 pm 

im guessing this idea died? i have some houston peeps that would like to join

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:15 pm 

motive wrote:

DFW is going strong. 8)

Austin/San Antonio seems to have died out, and Houston never really got rolling. Start it up! :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:45 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
motive wrote:

DFW is going strong. 8)

Austin/San Antonio seems to have died out, and Houston never really got rolling. Start it up! :tu: :mrgreen:

already am... we are having a big classic meet in a few weeks. anyone want to come down? last meet had about 50 true classics and about 130 cars total. best part, we had no issues or drama! cops were in attendance and never had an issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 pm 

motive wrote:
last meet had about 50 true classics and about 130 cars total.

Japanese only, or everything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
motive wrote:
last meet had about 50 true classics and about 130 cars total.

Japanese only, or everything?

we had alot of japanese but its really everything. hell, my friend always brings his viper out so it doesnt matter. for the most part we enjoy meeting everyone and seeing what shows up.
judging by your screenname... we had about 15 datsuns last meet and so far i know of 5 going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:39 am 

How about some details on the Houston Classic meet...

When/Where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:29 am 

datsun wrote:
How about some details on the Houston Classic meet...

When/Where?

We are going to meet at an already existing meet. Its on ih 45 behind the hooters in league city, so south houston. so far i have about 30 true classics and a lot of other friends wanting to go.
as for the date, im working on it. trying to figure out if this saturday or next saturday would be best

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]