#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My subaru 360
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:02 am 

Here is my 1969 Subaru 360 sedan.

I'm sure you all are familiar with them. If not it's a 360 cc, 25 hp, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke. It's about 10 feet long, weighs 1000 lbs and will go about 60-65 top speed. I got it last october. So far I've done all the brakes, got the engine runnning pretty well, and made new covers for the seats. I actually drive it a lot, it's great for short trips around town. Right now we have tons of salt on the roads here in PA so it's in the garage for a while. It's got some rust and dents but is basically solid. I'll probably do some bodywork and paint it in the summer.

You guys have a nice site, good luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:21 pm 
Amazing! I don't think I've ever seen one on the street. These early small displacement cars are definitely a rare sight to behold in the States.

Hope to see more updates on the restoration!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:31 pm 
Administrator

Welcome! Talk about a unique car! As Subarus go, the 360 is THE classic, isn't it? PLEASE post more pictures as your restoration progreses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:37 pm 

Yes, this is first car mass produced by subaru. There are actually a lot of them left. I'm a member of the subaru 360 driver's club, www.subaru360club.org there is a lot of info on them over there.

I'm not really as much into restoration as some people are. I just want a fun car to drive around. I want it to look mostly original but don't really care about painting every last nut and bolt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:36 pm 

Rust is always a problem with 360's. The metal they are made out of is really thin. Mine isn't too bad it's mostly surface rust except for the pass side rocker panel has a big hole and a small hole in the drivers side floor.

There are some things that can be done to get a little more power. You can mill the heads a bit to raise the compression. It's like 6.5-1 stock and you can add a point of compression by milling them. I've seen some with dual carbs and a different muffler. There was a Japan only model called the young ss. It has 36 hp, dual carbs, chrome cylinders (not sure why) and a different exhaust.

Mine actually has decent accelleration around town, it's not as bad as you would think. But it's geared so high it just wont go any faster than 65 or so. Mine is a 4 speed, but the 68 and older ones had a 3 speed, if you swap the final drive gears from a 3 speed into the 4 speed you can gain a little top speed and it will go 70-75. I want to do this someday so I can drive on longer trips and keep up with highway traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:34 am 

Great car! It suprises me how Subaru sold these with some degree of sucess in the States but not here in the UK where cars like this were not uncommon on the roads. Shame, as it'd be a fun car to own.

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:47 pm 

Well, I'm not sure if they were a sucess. The 360 didn't sell very well when new. There were somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 (including the pickup and van models) of them imported to the US. A lot of them sat on dealer lots for years. Consumer reports did an infamous article on the 360 and claimed it was "unacceptable" After that sales went way down. There are rumors of boatloads of unsold 360's dumped into the ocean.

Personally I find the 360 to be a good car. It's great for what it was designed for, short trips around town and good mileage. Just don't expect it to do something it wasn't meant to do. It's just common sense that it won't do well in a crash with a bigger car, and it's limited in top speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:51 pm 

I don't see a lot posted on here about subaru's. I guess all the subaru people are sticking to the subaru forums.

I've been driving my 360 just about every day lately. After sorting out all of the typical problems of a car that sat around for years it's running great. I got a second one for parts and have started getting all the parts ready to paint the car. I was lucky and the parts car had good front fenders, rear glass and what as far as I can tell is the JDM exhaust system. Somebody must have imported it at some point. It gave the 360 a little more power, you take what you can when you have 25 hp :D

How the car looks now, got some hubcaps for it and painted the rusty bumpers

Parts car

JDM exhaust below what I had been using.

New front clip prepped and ready for paint.

I'm hoping to finish up bodywork and paint the car next week, but it might be longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 pm 

Yeah, we could definitely use some Subaru love here. Thanks for posting your pics. And my god, that suburban just dwarfs the 360!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:13 pm 

The 360 almost fits in the back of the suburban. It does fit in a full size pickup.

It's almost ready for paint. Hopefully I will paint it tuesday. Here are a few pics from today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:21 pm 

Wow, you're really going all the way with this little sucker! I love it, can't wait to see it all done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:58 am 

Looking good! You're well on your way there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:28 pm 

I finished painting it. It's not perfect, but not awful either. I didn't paint the trim around the headlights and the roof. Now I see they are a different shade of white, so I might paint the headlight trim black and the roof black with a white stripe like the 360 young s had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:42 pm 

:tu: nice to see another east coast classic. Great job on the body work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:49 pm 

tom wrote:
Parts car

Any chance that came from Texas? My boss had one like that a couple of years ago, looked exactly like that one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:55 pm 

It came from Syracuse NY. The guy who I got it from had it a few years and never did anything with it. He got it from another guy in NY. So I doubt it came from Texas. All the 360 deluxe sedans looked the same, white with a red interior, it was the only way they came.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:23 pm 

It's the little things, though. Like that dent in the front. :P

And I just realized he sold it to someone on the east coast about 5-6 years ago...

Somewhere I have pics of it... Somewhere... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:12 am 
Are these an easy car to restore? Like is it hard to take off parts etc would it be easier then say for instance a Honda S600 or a similar small car from a similar vintage? Are parts hard to find as well?

I'm asking these questions because I want to know is it worth getting a container and shipping some old ones (4 1/2 of them) I saw in NZ over to Melbourne. (They were rusty but hopefully I could make 1-2 by using the parts from all of them. one race version (weekends :P ) and a one a slightly tuned stock version for concourse. (weekday :D )

I've been thinking of them for months well since jan 08

Cheers Kieran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:08 am 

They are easy to work on. You just have to take care when working on them since all the parts are so small and easy to break.

You can get most of the parts you need for them except the windshield. Those are very hard to come by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:31 pm 
Thanks Tom

I'll start saving :D and I'll look into how much it will cost to import them.
How much to they weigh? 400-600kgs? and what are the things to look out for?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next