#
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 14   [ 278 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bellet of the ball!
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm 

And being Hitachis, if they aren't the OEM carbs I'd bet they are from a Datsun Roadster (38mm throat) or 240Z (44mm throat). Looks a lot like 240Z carbs to me...

And if it matters, you have them reversed from their normal orientation in a 240Z.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

john wrote:
So you didn't notice the Hitachi logo on top of the float chamber?? :P

Doh! I probably should have researched what the Hitachi logo looked like before i went posting, haha.

Well, I've been MIA for a little while, but I have a pretty good excuse this time. Insted of typing it all out, I'll just post up this picture here to do the explaining for me!

Yup, a business trip to Myanmar tends to slow down wrench time in the garage! Regardless, after I got back, I decided it was high time I got grease in my fingernails again. First up was getting the engine off the engine stand.

Then I cleaned up the flywheel and clutch and bolted those back on!

I didn’t actually have a clutch alignment tool, so I used a short 3/8 extension and 16mm socket to get the clutch plate as best aligned as I could. Then I figured I wanted to battle the transmission outside of the car rather than under it. A cool hour later I finally had this!

Of course, trying to slot an engine and transmission into the car by your lonesome is a tall order, so my lovely wife came down to help out! Not sure what I’m doing in this picture though…

Lifting the lump into the sky!

And in!

We scratched the paint on the front piece that runs right up top and that was largely due to me not paying proper attention. We also scratched the paint on the intake cover. The intake cover can be resprayed and the paint up front we scratched is covered up by the hood, so I’m not too upset about it. Especially considering it was the first time I’ve ever put an engine and transmission in at the same time.

My fantastical wife was pretty excited about it too, so she pulled out her phone to grab a picture too!

With the engine in though, it was just the beginning. I needed to get the transmission mount on, but before I could bolt down the engine and transmission, the whole engine has to slide forward so I can get the driveshaft in. After some crawling underneath the beast, I finally got it all bolted in!

Next up, I started bolting on some of the smaller bits, such as the fuel pipe.

I also bolted up the oil pipe that puts oil pressure onto the cam chain tensioner.

I also sprayed some new metallic red on the intake cover and bolted that back on.

Then I started running the brake lines, starting with the front brakes.

Finally the radiator got some new black paint and the overflow tank got some new white paint and both got bolted in.

I’m still missing a lot of things before I can give the engine a start. Most importantly, I need to run the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel pump and I need a starter. Plus, my wiring is still a complete mess, so that has to get sorted first. Finally, I’m still in need of some new radiator and heater hoses, a new oil filter, some good spark plugs and a decent timing light.

There’s still a ton of work to do, but getting the motor in was huge! It didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped, but it went smoother than I was expecting. Hopefully, I can get the old girl purring right along soon!

Cheers,
David

Today’s Garage Soundtrack:
Electro swing mix
Link: http://youtu.be/5nD-8euqNN4

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:17 am 

This thing is coming together quite nice! I love the look of that engine, its sooooo different to me. Good work man.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 pm 

Love that fuel line... :mrgreen:

Quote:

So did Isuzu originally source these carbs from Hitachi? Guess it's likely they could have come as OEM on something besides a 240Z? Hitachi kinda did that with a lot of parts back then...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:42 am 

Love the engine in the car, has a very handsome classic look compared to everything today with their plastic covers...can't wait to see her on the road David! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:04 am 

As always thoroughly entertaining updates.
Keep up the good work... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:35 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys!

So many projects, so little time. Two weekends ago, I helped a buddy swap the engine in his bike, then last weekend I was wrapped up in other projects. I haven't had nearly as much time to work on the Bellett as I would like. Still, I managed to slip away for a few minutes here and there and get some minor work done.

When the car was on the ground, I slid under it and gave the prop shaft a turn. A terrible clunk came from the diff. Since the car was on the ground, I couldn't keep rotating it, so I would have to jack it up to see if the clunk noise happened regularly. After jacking the car up, I found that it only does it initially when rotating forwards or backwards kind of like the diff backlash is all messed up or something.

After a bit more searching, I could clearly see movement in one of the U-Joints. Well, that's good news because it means that the diff isn't shot! So, the wheels came off and the brakes came apart so I could pull the axles and get the U-joints out.

U-joints out and on the ground. Going to get both of these rebuilt with fresh joints in them.

I also picked up a starter for a 1600 GT at CCN and installed that guy right in. I was afraid of it not fitting since it's for the 1.6 and not the 1.8, but it fit like factory!

Then, after a bit of scrubbing, the Kangaroo came out to play!

And finally, I wired up the starter. Wierdly, one giant fat cable runs to the starter, then another moderately fat cable bolts to the same post as the giant fat cable and that's where all the 12 V electrics for the rest of the vehicle come from. The only cables attaching to the battery are the big fat one to the starter and the ground. Without a starter, you can't check any vehicle electrics!

My main goal this weekend though, was to clean up the garage. It looked like a bomb went off in there and my foot paths were getting increasingly narrow. So, I spent the majority of the day last Sunday reorganizing stuff. I'd say it looks much better now!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's garage soundtrack
Aesop Rock - Float
Link: http://youtu.be/p7jorP5kNQQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:10 pm 

Looks great David!!! Wish I could say my garage looked like that....if I had a garage, haha! :D

Can't wait to hear the Bellett turn over (or that Cosmo...eventually) Your bike is looking great too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:37 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Your intermittent wiper timer looks nicely prepped like that, and how do you adjust rear shoe tension? The non-cylinder end is fixed? Are they perhaps auto-adjusting at the cylinder end? If so, what does the reversing ratchet look like? Great stuff! Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
Nakazoto wrote:
...getting the motor in was huge! It didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped, but it went smoother than I was expecting.

It gets easier with practice, plus another set of hands and eyes helps immensely.
It's coming along great!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:27 pm 

What a shot

Truly a garage to be envious of

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:19 pm 

Thanks for the comments everyone!
These last few weeks I’ve been prepping myself for a two-day presentation I had to give on Automobile Basics in Myanmar. The best way I know how to mentally prepare for that is to just go completely off-grid and focus on the job I need to get done. Last week all week I was in Myanmar knocking it out and thankfully, it all went smoothly! So, it’s time to update this thread!

Firstly, Kuroneko, the rear drum brakes are pretty weird actually. The wheel cylinder itself slides back and forth, allowing the non-cylinder end to be fixed. The cylinder is just a single piston as well, so the piston pushes one shoe into the drum, then the cylinder slides away pushing the other shoe into the drum. The adjuster is also on the cylinder too. Once I get my hands on a cup kit for them, I’ll take some more pictures!

Alright, as I said earlier, I went off grid to prep for my Myanmar trip, but that didn’t completely exclude me from getting down to the garage for an hour here and there, so some progress was indeed made!

Now that my starter was hooked up, my goal was to suss out all the vehicle electrics, but I immediately ran into a problem.

Yup, my ignition switch is missing a post. So, I had to hot wire the car to check the electrics.

Turns out, it’s super easy to hot-wire a car. Although if you were to steal a car, I’m still not sure how you’d tackle the steering lock. At any rate, the first thing I decided to hook up and check was the headlights.

Hmm, on low beam only one light lit up. How about high beam?

That’s better. Turns out I just had a few burned out bulbs. So, while I procrastinated going to the local parts shop to pick up some new bulbs, I checked the tail lights. After figuring out a small ground problem they lit right up as well!

The gauge lights were lighting right up as well!

Even the interior light was on the ball!

The next major hurdle though was the turn signals and parking lamps. For days I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. It was a combination of a poor ground, improperly hooked up wires and having the flasher and hazard relay plug in backwards. But, persistence won and eventually I got this:

I threw in some new bulbs for the headlights and had the entire front end lit up like Christmas!

Now I just have to wire in the fog lights, but that was where I went on my trip to Myanmar. After getting back on Friday, I took all day Saturday off to recover and then decided to get out there and do something on Sunday. I needed some motivation so I got to work on the engine.

New oil filter, new oil, new plugs, new fuel filter, and new fuel lines. Yup, that sounds like a recipe for maybe potentially getting the engine to start. At first it wouldn’t start at all, so I double checked my spark plug wires, turns out I had put them on 90 degrees out of order. Fixed that and still nothing. Then, I wasn’t sure if it was getting fuel, so I popped the tops off the bowls on the carbs to check that they were full of fuel, and they were. Finally, I decided to advance the ignition timing a bit and well, the results speak for themselves.

http://youtu.be/1P0FdsouR_g

Put on some headphones, turn the volume all the way up and then sit inside of a subwoofer and you’ll get an idea for how loud it truly is, haha. It’s running open header, which is why it sounds so burly at the moment. Also, there’s no oil in the dashpots on the carbs, which is why it picks up and drops revs so fast. Still, for a budget rebuild and a poorly, hand-honed cylinder, it sounds pretty righteous! I still have some fine tuning on the carbs and ignition timing, but that’ll have to wait until I get the exhaust back on it and the cooling system properly hooked up.

It’s close now!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's Garage Soundtrack
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhT0g9jULpw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:08 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

LOVE IT!!!! Great work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:20 am 

Sounds awesome! You sure you can't register it with open headers, haha! ;)

What happened with the ignition switch? Did the missing post break off?

Looks great with all the lights lit, can't wait to see it with the fogs too for the full 'rally' effect! :P Did you wire up those little side repeaters on the front yet?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:05 pm 

METALLICA!!!!! :tu:

Smiled when I read the "today's garage soundtrack" part.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:44 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys!

Gene, I love me some Metallica! When I was in High School, the local radio station used to do a segment called “Mandatory Metallica” from 11 to midnight every night. A full hour of nothing but Metallica. I worked at a movie theater at the time so I often rocked out to Metallica on my way home. Now, whenever the clock strikes 11, I get a hankering for some good old Metallica, haha.

Darkstrike, I’m not sure what happened to the ignition switch, the post was missing when I received the car. I’m having a hell of a time trying to find a replacement, although I think I found something that will work and it should hopefully be here next weekend so I can give it a shot. The side repeaters are indeed wired up, they’re just hard to see with all the ambient light in the garage. For the fogs, well, read on!

I took it easy this last weekend as I was still pretty exhausted from my week long trip to Myanmar. So, instead of trying to tackle big heavy things, I decided to focus on the little, easier things instead. So, I started with some new battery terminal clamp things and a proper battery tie down. You can also see me mid way through wiring up the relay for the fog lamps here as well.

My fuel filter is actually a filter meant for a big Motorcycle, so I had to build a completely new mount for it. I bent up a small bracket to bolt it to the wheel well and then bought a 27mm clamp meant for a motorcycle fork. I took the grinder to it and sliced out a little window and then cut up some rubber to keep everything neat. Turned out pretty good!

I also ran new hoses for the float vents on the carbs because the old ones were rock hard and split.

I bought and ran some new hoses for the vents on the top of the engine too.

Here’s another picture. It’s blurry but has better lighting.

Next, I finally installed the biggest, heaviest remaining piece. Those two little black tips mean that the exhaust is on and mounted!

The car no longer sounds like the apocalypse, which is kind of sad, but it means I can now tune it without going deaf, haha.

The last thing I did this weekend was finish off my fog light wiring.

Just the fogs on.

More light than you can shake a stick at!

And that’s where I called it this weekend! We actually had a typhoon roll in this weekend as well, so it was a good time to stay inside and play a lot of video games. (The four games I mainly played this weekend, in case anyone is curious, were Stalker Call of Pripyat w/ SGM, Gran Tursimo 6, Dirt 3, and Spelunky.)

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today’s Garage Soundtrack
Darren Korb – Transistor OST
http://youtu.be/-zA1jRmAYfU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am 

Looking good. Keep it up!

Bart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 am 

Looking awesome! Those fogs really do give it an awesome 'mean' appearance :P

Hoping your new ignition switch works ok! If you can't find an authentic replacement, I'm sure there has to be SOMETHING out there that will work...does that mean you couldn't use the original keys though?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 am 

Looking great

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

Thanks for the comments everyone!

She's getting really close! I received a few parts over the last week so I this weekend was an excellent opportunity to give them a shot.
darkstrike wrote:
Looking awesome! Those fogs really do give it an awesome 'mean' appearance :P
Hoping your new ignition switch works ok! If you can't find an authentic replacement, I'm sure there has to be SOMETHING out there that will work...does that mean you couldn't use the original keys though?

I searched and searched for an authentic replacement here in Japan, but kept coming up empty handed. So, on a lark, I purchased an ignition switch that looked similar on Yahoo Auctions. I think it's for a VW, but I don't really remember. Fortunately, the original unit just stabs into the back of the key cylinder, so I can continue to use my original key.

As you can see though, the unit itself is quite a bit smaller, which required me to hog out the center plastic bit to fit. After a bit of work it stabs right in, but the little place where you lock it down with a screw is 90 degrees out of whack, so I have build a mount that allows me to bolt it up. That will be a project for another day.

My main goal this weekend was to get water into the engine.

Goal done! If only it was actually that easy, haha. I searched high and low for a thermostat made for the Bellett and the only place I could find that sold one wanted 50 bucks for it! So, I measured the thermostat housing, did a bit of research and then bought a thermostat for a Hakosuka. Fit perfectly! Next, I needed to run the lines for the heater, since these lines also work as the bypass for the water pump when the thermostat is closed. I ordered some new heater hose on Yahoo and picked up some heat shielding at the local motorcycle shop for the bit that runs close to the exhaust.

This is before I painted and installed the brackets that hold the lines in place. I wanted to make sure nothing leaked first.

So, I filled the radiator with fluid, which took nearly 5 liters! In fairness, the engine, lines and heater were all bone dry, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Then I fired the old girl up and let her run for a bit. She smoked something fierce for a little while and then after a bit of a warm up and a few revs, she cleaned right up and didn't smoke hardly at all!

Of course, I clearly still have some carburetor issues as this is the warmed up idle.

I also pulled the plugs to see if I was running rich or lean or if one cylinder was running differently than the rest, but as you can see, they're all pretty unanimously rich.

I tinkered with the carbs a bit more, but I have some pretty major tuning to do. I think I'm going to wait until I can get the car outside to deal with that. I also played with the rear U-Joints that I have to replace, but they are clearly much stronger than I am, so I will have to get a press or something to help me with those in the future.

Now that the cooling is hooked up, I just need to fix the U-Joints and re-do the brakes and then she can move under her own power!

More to come next weekend!

Cheers,
David

Today's Garage Soundtrack
Prototype Raptor - Promo Mix
http://youtu.be/BptgWGutEP0

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 14   [ 278 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next