#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Interesting Brochure / odd Canadian Isuzu history!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 pm 

Hi all! :D

A brief bit of history first for those of you not from the Great White North - Isuzu as a brand, has never sold their cars directly in Canada from their own dealerships (that I know of) other than commercial trucks which they do still sell here. We have, however, had Isuzu cars sold here as captive imports. The first of these ventures was General Motors Canada's 'Passport International Automobiles' project from 1988-1991 and it involved selling many Isuzus, Suzukis, Saabs, and a rebadged Daewoo LeMans here through GM and 'Passport' dealerships. After that faltered, they changed ideas and started selling these same cars not under the 'Passport' name, but as their own, new captive import marque 'Asüna' from 1993-1994. Sadly, this failed too, and Isuzu cars stopped being sold here at all since...

Now, being a car nut in general, I have a lot of weird stuff laying around the house, but this one comes from before my time! Attached to the link below is a full high-res scan of a pamphlet I found for the 1990 Isuzu Impulse (called the Isuzu Piazza everywhere else in the world!) and Isuzu Stylus (called the Isuzu Gemini everywhere else in the world!) here in Canada as sold through the aforementioned 'Passport' scheme....I would've been 4 in 1990, so it's not something that I collected, but I was quite surprised and excited to find the not-all-that-beat-up brochure sitting in a box in our storage room, haha!

Maybe some of you fellow car nuts can get some enjoyment out of it as I have, and add it to your own collections! :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12fKq ... sp=sharing

(NOTE: Download it to your hard drives first as Google Drive doesn't seem to display all the colors quite as vividly when viewed online!)

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Interesting Brochure / odd Canadian Isuzu history!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:01 pm 

neat. no Trooper listed in the brochure.

funny you post this brochure now.

there is a Impulse RS turbo for sale locally for 1000$

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/cto/4335596976.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:15 pm 

Nope, this is an Impulse / Stylus only brochure, but you can see the Trooper and Isuzu pickups inside the front cover, so they're at least "mentioned" in a way!

I'm not great with the used values of cars, but that AWD version of the Impulse for only $1000 doesn't seem like a bad price at all if it's in vaguely decent shape and runs ok. I wonder how many kms it has on it. Doesn't look all that rusty in the pics, but they ARE some pretty terrible-quality pics...

Who knows what it could be hiding after somebody were to buy it and bring it home...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:22 pm 

Cool, thanks for posting.

Bart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:41 pm 

No problem man! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 am 

Heya,

Believe it or not, Isuzu did sell cars under their own name in Canada in the mid 1960s; imported as CKD kits, they were assembled by Canadian Motor Industries, who went on to deal exclusively in Toyota assembly, I believe.

A fellow called James Mays (not James May from UK Top Gear) put together a really interesting history of their short career in Canada, including the point where CMI were considering purchasing the ailing Studebaker brand and facilities, with a view to re-badging the Belletts as Studebakers!

The full history has been included with James' permission here at Bellett.net:

http://www.bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1201

Here are some pics direct from the site; these are scans from my own Bellett brochure collection:

Cheers!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:33 am 

Cool Dave, you completely just taught me something I had NO idea about! I'll definitely be taking a read! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 am 

Wow, that means that there are some NA spec Bellets hiding out in the Great White North!

Bart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:42 pm 

I say we all go on a Barn Find hunt for Bellets :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:57 am 

Yeah guys, get looking!

There's a Canadian guy in Washington state, I think, who has a pair of LHD ex-Canadian Belletts, but they're literally the only two I've ever heard of.

As you might have read, they weren't exactly thick on the ground, but surely there'd be more than two left!

It freaks out a lot of North Americans who just think of Joe Isuzu and the Troopers and Impulse and such.

I guess they had a bit of a blink-an-you'll-miss-it history! Interestingly, that last photo with the black 'Bellett 1500S' with '1967' on the numberplate was the 1965 'teardrop' model (so nicknamed for the shape of the rear tail lights) that was discontinued mid-1966 elsewhere, so I guess they had a few CKD kits they needed to shift!!!

Cheers,

Dave

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]