#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 19 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitsubishi 360 screaming "Save me!"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:34 pm 

Well, my vacation is slowly coming to a close and I'm going to have to fly back home to real life. So, I've been taking this opportunity to drive the little Mitsubishi everyday! Even though it's not registered yet and it's not street legal in the slightest, we have a 1/2 mile long driveway that really lets me stretch the old girl's legs. I took a few more photos today out in the beautiful sunlight, so I'll let the pictures do all the talking this time!

No classic is complete without one of these stickers!

A cool thing about the antenna is that usually it's hidden. The question then is, how do you extend it? Well, that's why you have this cool little key.

You just insert it into the opening on the antenna base and the antenna, which is spring loaded, shoots up. Then you can grab it and pull it all the way out!

Who's that ugly mug?

I absolutely adore this car and am really going to miss being able to drive it everyday. We'll be back stateside soon enough though!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:08 pm 

Great pics David! LOVE that antenna feature, I've never seen that before and that's one more quirky and cool reason to love older cars! :D

What's required to make the Minica street legal in Texas? Up here in my province in Canada (it's a bit more lenient than some provinces on import laws), all that would probably be required to make your Minica legal would be a DRL module, a safety inspection, proof of insurance and registration! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:10 pm 

Ya know, I'm sitting here at work, coming off a cold and still drowsy. Reading your posts have actually made my day at the company we shall not speak of a little brighter. I think I can actually breath better too! I can feel that Texas sunshine through the awesome pics you've posted. Get your butt back over here so we can hang out more. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:31 pm 

That's super awesome. Of course, never seen on in the states, and it looks terrific. Good luck with all this great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 am 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
I rarely find myself going gooey-eyed over British cars (big exception being Minis) but that Healey is eye-wateringly beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 pm 

super super awesome mate....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:06 am 

I've followed this build from scrappy beginning to beautiful, nostalgic end, and it has been such an inspiration. I actually bought my '66 Hillman Husky wagon project in part because it reminded me of your plucky 360. I'm currently working on the Husky (and planning on swapping in a vintage Japanese powertrain), and frequently re-read your old posts for encouragement.

I was also super-happy when I found a little lizard living in my Husky:

Just like Nakazoto, I thought! I felt like it was a very good omen for the project.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this awesome journey with us!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:03 pm 

Glad to see David's hard work has inspired others, haha! Good luck to you and YOUR lizard on your Husky project Saruken! :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:02 pm 

I haven't been able to post much as of late because of work and other commitments, but the feedback from you guys has been super awesome!

Scole665, thank you so much dude! If you ever find yourself down in Texas, let me know and you'll be able to see the old girl in person!

tj75gc, my parents actually have a picture of me when I was one year old standing in the driver's seat of that Healey. It's practically a family member at this point, haha. Regardless, it's probably the greatest car I've ever driven! I never get tired of hearing the beautiful growl of the pushrod inline six mixed with the whine of the transmission. It's just such a wonderful machine!

Oldpart, thanks a lot man!

Saruken, thank you so much for reading the whole journey! I'm so glad I could inspire you. Hopefully your Husky will be back on its feet soon enough and terrorizing the roads like the little Mitsu! With a little lizard as a Mascot, I'm sure it'll all go smoothly, haha.

Darkstrike, thanks for the comments man! Read on for information about what was required to make the car legal!

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm 

Alright, update time!

Getting the car into Texas was one crazy battle, as you're all aware. However, once the car was in Texas, there was still quite a bit of work to do before we could go pumping 2-stroke smoke all over the arrow straight Texas roads.

Once the car passes through customs and is in your possession, you're left with a mountain of papers. However, amidst that mountain, there isn't a Texas title at all, which is the one piece of paper you need before you can drive the car. You do however, get your Japanese export certificate back along with the HS-7 customs declaration form. These two pieces of paper are extremely important and completely irreplaceable.

The state of Texas requires quite a bit of legwork to be done before they'll hand you a title. Fortunately, they outline it all pretty well here.
http://apps.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/ ... oreign.htm

As you can see, step 1 is to have the HS-7 document. Check.
Step 2 is bond stuff, totally not applicable.
Step 3 is form VI-30A, which is a state Vehicle Inspection form. That simply required a trip down to the local vehicle inspection place, super easy.
Step 4 is the interesting one. The VIN has to be inspected by a proper vehicle theft unit at a police station to make sure that no VIN swapping shenanigans took place. Since there wasn't a place in our sleepy little town that could do it, my father actually had to load the car up on a trailer and take it to the closest place that did.
Step 5 is to fill out an I-130U form, which wasn't a huge problem at all.
Step 6 says something about "if the vehicle is less than 10 years old", so it got summarily ignored.
Step 7 is presenting the ownership document, which in this case was the Export Certificate. Despite being mostly in English already, we still had to get a certified translation of the document to satisfy the Texas DMV.

That's it really!

Here, Dad had the little guy loaded up on our small two wheel trailer for the trip to get a VIN inspection.

After Dad had the VIN inspection, he towed the little guy down to the local inspection place to get a state inspection. Once the certified translation came in and we had the I-130U properly filled out, Dad collected up all the paperwork and submitted it for a Texas title. Magic happened and voila!

(I blurred out some of the important info on the title here)

They're a little big and goofy looking, but there you go, proper Texas license plates on a tiny little Japanese kei car from the 1960s!

She's now 100% legal to drive on the roads! Although, come to think of it, she tops out at about 90 km/h and the speed limit of every surrounding road is 120 km/h...

It's been a wild journey, but the car is happy, healthy and fully legal!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 pm 

Well now, you definitely can't beat this with a stick!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:50 pm 

Thanks for the comment LoRollins!

I just received another photo from my father this morning. Here's the old girl parked next to a golf cart!

You can really see just how small the little Mitsu is. I can't wait to get back to Texas and drive her again!

Thanks for the photos dad!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 am 

Pretty hilarious how small the 360 is, that's a great comparison shot, yet, it looks like it even has a bit more room than your Life did!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:38 pm 

Thanks for the comment darkstrike!
The little Mitsu is definitely easier to get into and out of than my Life due to the suicide doors, but once in, the Life is way more spacious! The Mitsubishi is very tight, but fortunately, it's so slow, you can't really drive it for long periods of time, haha.

This last weekend there was a car show in Hico, TX called "Billy the Kid Rides Again". This is a fairly large car show with about 100 cars showing up from all around Texas. The Mitsubishi may not be fast, but Hico is awfully close, so my Dad decided to take the Mitsubishi out to strut her stuff.

I do believe it was the smallest car at the event but it certainly was popular!

It was so popular in fact, it won the Billy the Kid Orphan award for being the most unique car at the show!

Pretty cool! I wish I could have been there! Thank you Mom and Dad for the pictures!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:58 pm 

Awesome David! If that award has a plaque or a trophy, your garage better have a nice shelf to start the collection! :P

Was that the first time your dad had driven the Mitsu any significant distance? Hopefully she's running fine now (and nore more coil problems!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm 

Darkstrike, I think the award was just a simple piece of paper. There were lots of cars there, but the town of Hico is pretty small and the people running it don't have the biggest of budgets, haha. Also, from my Dad's place to downtown where the show was is only about 3 to 4 miles. The Golf Course is also about 3 miles away, so Dad has had plenty of experience driving the old girl that distance.

The car itself is running beautifully now that the coils are hooked up correctly! I can't wait to get back to the States and hear that two-stroke clatter again!

After digging around the internet for a bit, I found a few more pictures of the car show (I'm sure more and more pictures will surface over the next few days).

You can really see the kinds of cars that come to this show. Lots of customs, lots of hot rods, a few old school originals...

... and one tiny little Kei car from the other side of the planet!

I was talking to my Dad and he was saying that not a single person came up to the car without a smile on their face! Everyone loved it! I wish I could have been there!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:55 am 

Glad to hear the little Mitsu is running well! Doesn't surprise me about the smiles at the show, I know I couldn't help from smiling if I saw it....still can't! :P

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm 

What a GREAT thread!

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Terrific work. Great looking car

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 pm 

Thanks so much for the comments guys!

My brother currently lives up north, but he and his wife came down to Texas for a little vacation recently. One of our good friends came down to hang out as well and naturally they had to take the little Mitsu for a spin. My dad was pretty quick with the camera and snapped these shots for me!

I think it’s physically impossible to drive this car without a massive grin on your face, haha.

As a side note, I forgot how green it can get in Texas! Everytime I go to visit, it’s the middle of winter and the whole state is brown.

I’m so happy that the car is getting regular exercise and I can’t wait to get back to Texas to drive the old girl again!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 am 

Looks like he's having a blast, here's hoping he doesn't try to perma-borrow it on his way home! :P

Then...again, if he did, I'm pretty sure somebody could catch up to him! ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 19 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next