#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAM'S 808 SAVANNA RESTO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 am 

Was warm enough to try out some painting today so I got the right side that I stripped all sealed up.

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 am 

awesome work :tu: ...looks mint :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:58 pm 

Looking good mate. Love watching the progress!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:36 pm 

Could you show me what kind of tools you use to form/deform your metal.As i dont have a clue how to shape sheet metal .And you make it look like it is easy to replicate oem car shapes .

I can bent a straight plate,but how do you make small gutters or round pieces?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:11 am 

mielko wrote:
Could you show me what kind of tools you use to form/deform your metal.As i dont have a clue how to shape sheet metal .And you make it look like it is easy to replicate oem car shapes .
I can bent a straight plate,but how do you make small gutters or round pieces?

I'll put up some pics of the tools i use next post, There's nothing special though, just hammers, dollies, clamps, welder, grinder anything else I can find at the time that I might be able to use as a template to get the desired shape I'm after :lol: I really don't have very many tools.

I got the rest of the rear quarter stripped and primed, its in good condition but still needs a fair bit of work!

Image Image

Image Image

Also got the passenger door stripped and primed, its also going to need some work, I think I'll just take the whole skin off to repair it.

Image Image

The two sections of the rear quarter panel that were really badly rusted was behind the wheel are and around were the outer weather strip goes on the window.
So I just cut the sections out and made up some new patches.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I then had a go at straightening out were it had been hit on the back of the wheel arch, I got it pretty good but will still need another going over, its really hard to try and get the slight concave that's around the arch.

Image Image

Image Image

I took the rest of the rear quarter off the car and man was it a mess where they welded in the replacement patch, I basically just had to cut it off with the grinder around that section.
Found some more repairs that need doing while I was at it \:D/ The beaver is going to need some work too. Its hard to see in the pics but they've welded in some really dodgy patches behind the quarter that will have to be replaced.

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:26 pm 

Loving the updates!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:42 am 

nice work cam,and saving yourself heaps as well. well done

Post subject: Re: CAM'S 808 Savanna Resto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 am 

It's been a big couple of days! decided to strip the engine bay by hand :shock:

Big job but just really wanted to see it in primer, very happy now its over :lol:

Image Image

Image Image

ImageImage

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 am 

Man i need a garage! lol Loving the work your putting in! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:39 am 

Sorry been too long since my last update on here :oops:

Just want to say thanks to Gypsy for helping me out with a set of his rubbers and weather strips etc. I've tried to put together a decent post for you, I don't think I could ever match your level of detail though :wink:

I've pretty much repaired everything on the car that needs to be done before I can weld the rear quarter back on, it was a real mess around the bottom section behind the wheel arch and where the quarter meets the beaver panel so I just cut it all out and welded in new sections. Sorry the photo quality isn't the best.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Now before I can weld the quarter back on I need to fix up the passenger door so that I can put the front fender and door on to help line it all up. The door I had was ok but had been hit where it meets the rear quarter and was basically out of shape in that section (had just been hit into shape with a hammer and bogged up).

I managed to get another set of doors but the new passenger door was really rusty although had no accident damage. I decided to use the frame of the new rusty door and fix it up but then use the skin off my original door as it was in pretty good condition, the skin was obviously changed before as it had been seam welded back on and the fit was nowhere near as good as factory.

This is my original door that I had after I took the skin off.

The door skin that I'll be using.

This is the section that's out of shape, hard to tell from the pic but it was pretty bad.

And this is the replacement door frame before the repairs :shock: not really sure if I made the right decision :lol: I don't have a picture of the front of the skin but it basically had two massive holes in each bottom corner that had been filled with filler.

Image Image

First corner section repair. I was pretty happy with how this little patch worked out :D

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I bare metaled the section before priming it.

Repair section for the other corner, note I had to take the door mount bracket/support out to get to all the rust!

Image Image

Image Image

Next was to cut out basically the piece along the bottom of the door as it was all rusty, I tried to do it in one piece but when I bent up the repair patch it had a bit of a bow in it so was easier just to cut up and do in smaller sections.

Image Image

Sandblasted the the door mount/support bracket thing.

And managed to get a couple of coats of epoxy on it before the day was out \:D/ Might not look like much but that door took me about 10hours so I'm happy its almost done! Now just have to fix up the skin.

Image Image

I also fixed up my pitman arm, I tried to find a replacement but its a late model one that nowhere seems to have, it was still tight so I just cleaned it up, replaced the boot and filled it with grease.

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:40 am 

Got some goodies in the mail today, nothing like a new turbo to get you motivated to finish \:D/
Garrett GT3582R 1.06A/R

Jed's currently porting my engine and will then be sent down to Xtreme for machine work and back to Jed for assembly, so I might also have the engine in about a month or so :D

Also in case anyone's wondering why I'm selling those housings its because I got another set done and they look more like 12AT housings so I want to use them instead.
This is now the set I'm using.
Image ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:41 am 

I'm not sure what the deal is with side intrusion bars in the doors, I know they were only in the late model cars but for some reason both my driver doors had them and the passenger doors didn't. Does anyone know if both doors had them, or just the drivers side?

Anyway seeing as my passenger door didn't have one I decided to get one of the ones out of the drivers doors and put it in.

First I welded the bracket back on.

This is the doner door, was full of bog along the bottom edge.

Image Image

The side intrusion bars are on an angle I had to cut the mount off each end and modify them a bit and then weld it all back together. Felt good cranking the welder up a bit and welding some thicker gauge steel, I'm starting to get sick of welding sheet metal all the time!

Image Image

Image Image

Welded it in to the new door.

Image Image

Cleaned it all up, primed everything and sikiflexed all the laps just for good measure.

Next was to finish the door skin, the bit that holds the weather strip was pretty much all rusted away. I got a new piece off an Rx7 door and welded it on, they are the same profile.

Image Image

Decided to use up some of my POR15 on the inside of the skin.

I've started to play around with fitting up the rear quarter, its still needs some repairs and a bit of modifying before it will fit, but looks like it won't take too much to get it to work \:D/

Image Image

Some more repairs to the quarter.

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 am 

As the builds moving on I'm starting to think more and more about all the little things I need to get done, I want to pretty much have everything ready so i can assemble the whole car once its been painted.
Please note nothing is for sale unless its in my for sale thread.

Decided to sort through my indicators, parkers and reflectors to pic out the best pair of each, I didn't realise I had so many!

Managed to get a couple of sets of genuine Savanna parker assemblies and a new set of lenses, the assemblies will have to be re chromed.

I bought all new tie rods and idler arm.

I also want to get my diff sorted in the next couple of weeks, I'm going with a Hilux diff.
I bought this TRD mechanical LSD awhile ago off Adsy, the ratio is 4.8 though so from my calculations I'll be at 3500rpm @ 110km/h so might have to change the gears later if they're too high I'll try it out first though :D (I've got a series 4 turbo gearbox which I'm pretty sure 5th gear ratio is 0.762)

Will have to also get my bumpers restored, the rear one looks good so might just need re chroming. They're both genuine savanna, I also have a genuine S3/808 pointy nose bar that I might use instead of the cut out one as that's the proper bar for the Savanna lower lip.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 am 

I've still been plugging away at the car, almost finished the passenger side rear quarter its been a mission though. I can't wait to have it finished and get it back on the car, worst part is moving it around all the time because my sheds so small :lol:

I got this cut from the US on Friday, the piece between the boot and rear screen is in awesome condition, the one on my car was good but needs some repairs so at least I'll save myself a bit of time with this one. I also used the piece off the quarter panel that came with it for repairing a section of my quarter panel.

This was someones attempt to weld up a hole there was literally about 50 pieces of mig wire sticking out of it :lol:

And this is the section I was talking about that I used to replace it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:24 am 

Couple more parts for the collection..

Xtreme side Mount alternator kit

Xtreme short shifter kit, will have to extend it but throw is 35% shorter.

Alloy sump

New clutch master and slave

And a nice pic of the shell in the sun :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 am 

Great work Cam...this is a massive effort...and people seem to think a birthday or an engagement deserves a special day? there should be three weeks per year public holidays to commemorate the efforts of do it your self panel beaters and restorers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 pm 

What a truly stunning build! This is top level work. Well done man. Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:36 am 

Thanks for all the positive feedback! :mrgreen: And Dave, you'll have no objections from me to have 3 weeks off to work on the car :tu: :tu: :tu:

Savanna RX3 GSII wrote:
cam777 wrote:
gypsy wrote:
I like your optimistic ambitious time line Cam for completion :laugh:
Thought you might find these of use if you're going to have it completed and running in a few weeks.....

Yeah I've pretty much met zero of my deadlines so far :lol:

I'm getting married in November and I want this to be the wedding car so start of November is my absolute cutoff date, if its not done by then I'll be very disappointed!
It won't be easy but it is doable [-o<

Thanks for the pics and info, should make my life a bit easier!!

Cam you are really making progress and doing a great job as well its a credit to you but i also have to say you will have your work cut out for November…….. :-k :-k :-k i think i am moving my finish date to christmas for the 3rd time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prove us all wrong, keep up the great posts.

Yep definitely have my work cut out for me! Will try to prove you wrong [-o<
Have to have a deadline though or else it will never get finished! :D
I do also have a few extra parts I've been holding out on everyone that will make the job a little bit easier :wink:

Got a bit more done on the rear quarter, this first pic is what I meant by the patch I welded on still needing work. When I did the repair I had nothing to work off because it was all rusted away so I just made it as close as possible with the intention to finish it when it was mounted on the car.

Was easy to fix in the end, just one small cut and bent it in to the correct shape.

Got the door striker bracket blasted and welded back on.

Have to repair both lower sections of the wheel arch, only ended up getting one of them finished.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:43 am 

-djfizz- wrote:
Hey Cam, be real careful on the position of the door stricker.
Even though i matched mine up to the origonal spot welds etc and done my best to get it spot on. Once the car was all back together with new door rubbers etc, i found i had to slightly slot the holes in the B piller to allow the door close that extra bit more to get a better door gap between the quarter panel. Because it would not latch onto stricker without slamming it. Without doing this made the door look like it was not shut properly, only by about 2mm #-o
So keep an eye on that part.
:wink:

Thanks for the heads up Kurt, hopefully it should be ok though as I didn't move the piece on the outer side of the quarter panel where the striker mounts (pictured below).
I also made sure the piece it screws into had full movement around the holes before I welded it back on.

Got the inside of the quarter stripped after work today. Nothing looks better than bare metal :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:21 am 

WOW!! Incredible effort going in to this. Keep up the great work :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next