Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: at long last... '76 Opel by Isuzu
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:13 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Did it make it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:31 pm 

you know it did... :roll:
I'll go through and update all the stuff that was lost one of these days, just not tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:31 pm 

ok, so by now it's obvious I made it to the meet. let's see... I had the windshield replaced (only cost me $40 and a little helping the guy), then I put all 4 new tires on it:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm 

then I went and put it through safety and emissions and all hell broke loose. it failed for being too rich and when I picked it up it was sputtering and wouldn't idle. I thought the mechanic at the shop had tried to adjust it, but found out later (much later) that wasn't the problem. I tried to adjust it myself and couldn't make it right, so I started thinking it was an ignition problem. replaced the points and condenser since everything was new, figuring maybe they burned up or something... no difference. so I pulled the carb apart again. couldn't find anything wrong, so I put it back on. eventually I started chasing vacuum leaks. I even bored out the throttle body of the carb for o-rings:

still no difference.

Last edited by opelboy76 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm 

I'll post more tomorrow.
:tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 pm 

let's see... where were we?
ok, so I was still having no luck finding my vacuum leak, so I decided to pull the whole manifold off so I could at least get a better look at it. I had been spraying carb cleaner all around various places trying to see where it was coming from, and one of the things I was suspecting was the manifold itself. since the original head was cracked, I thought maybe that meant it overheated and may have warped the manifold. when I pulled the manifold off, all the gaskets were stuck nicely, indicating a good seal except the one for #3, which came off intact. I got to looking at the mating surface and it did look like it was a little warped, so instead of doing the smart thing and taking it to a machine shop to have it resurfaced, I got impatient and decided I would try it myself, the redneck way, with a big file. I only made things worse (predictably).
when I was re-installing the manifold, it cracked. at all 4 ports. great. I'd say this was pretty much rock bottom for this project. thankfully, I found someone here locally who was selling a whole handful of old LUV parts including a manifold. by the time the deal was done, I ended up with the manifold, air cleaner housing, 2 spare carbs, 2 spare alternators, a LUV manual, and a small tub of carb parts, all for $50. thank god that guy came along. I cleaned up the manifold and put it on. it helped, but the problem was still there, just not as bad. I decided the carb must still be messed up, so I took the best parts from the 3 spare carbs I had lying around and built a Frankenstein. ran better, but still wrong. so then I decided to try a technique I saw on youtube, hooking up a fog machine to the intake to show where the leak is. it worked. I found a leaking valve for the emissions system. plugged off the vacuum source to it, and the car smoothed right out. I was so happy to have finally fixed the problem, but at the same time so pissed that it was such a simple thing. I could have fixed it a month earlier with one single vacuum cap. then it was ready to try safety and emissions again. guess what? it all passed! the car was now legal! I was so happy and proud to have brought it back to life. it had been a pile of parts for years, and now I had turned it into reliable transportation again. great feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 pm 

by now, it was my daily driver. getting all kinds of looks, too, usually either, "what the heck is that?" or,"I haven't seen one of those in a long time". not too much to report at this point, but in my running around I saw an old bug that I had to park by:

I thought it made a cool picture. this was taken in early October.

been driving it all winter without much drama, until this week. over the weekend I heard something rattling around in my left front hubcap, so I pulled it off expecting to see a lugnut that had come loose somehow. nope. dust cap. weird. cleaned it up, put it back together, and kept on going. about 2 days later I noticed a growling noise in the front end, so I pulled the front wheels to investigate. it was (still is) the wheel bearings on the left, but I also saw that the caliper on the right was leaking. fine. whatever. happened to look under the car and saw that the underside was soaked with oil from the transmission output shaft. great. then the best part. as I was leaving work that same day, I backed into a parked trailer and smashed out the back window:

as of right now, the car is sitting at a body shop getting the damage repaired. when I get it back, I'll do the wheel bearings. now you're pretty much up to speed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:22 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Well, glad you have been able to enjoy your ride. Mine has been under a car cover all winter lol.

Sucks about the window and damage :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:13 pm 

well, 2 1/2 weeks and $935 later...

I plan on doing the wheel bearings tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 pm 
Administrator

was it tough finding a replacement glass?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 am 

Such a cool little classic! 8)

Me being European and into my Euro classics too, I've always admired the Opel Kadett C Coupé - especially the epic 2.0 GT/E. Your's is of course virtually the same car. The colour and not least that cool 70's decal really make yours stand out too... :tu:

While I'm big on originality myself, I would seriously consider swapping those big US bumpers for the stylish and slim chrome items from a Euro Kadett C. They should be easy enough to find on German ebay. A set of 7 x 13" Ronal Kleeblatt or ATS Classic alloys would set it off nicely too.
On that note, bare in mind for the future that many spares in general would be readily available in Germany where the Kadett C enjoys quite an enthusiastic following...

Love your Isuzu!! :D

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 am 

Garant wrote:
was it tough finding a replacement glass?

I actually had a spare, the hard part was the rubber. they ended up gluing it in with urethane & putting rubber trim on the outside so it looks good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:55 am 

02Anders wrote:
Such a cool little classic! 8)

Me being European and into my Euro classics too, I've always admired the Opel Kadett C Coupé - especially the epic 2.0 GT/E. Your's is of course virtually the same car. The colour and not least that cool 70's decal really make yours stand out too... :tu:

While I'm big on originality myself, I would seriously consider swapping those big US bumpers for the stylish and slim chrome items from a Euro Kadett C. They should be easy enough to find on German ebay. A set of 7 x 13" Ronal Kleeblatt or ATS Classic alloys would set it off nicely too.
On that note, bare in mind for the future that many spares in general would be readily available in Germany where the Kadett C enjoys quite an enthusiastic following...

Love your Isuzu!! :D

there's also tons of parts in Australia, where this car was sold as the Holden Gemini. my biggest problem either way would be shipping. I've thought about maybe changing the wheels, but I like the original look too, so I'm not sure. I'd probably go up to 15 inch though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm 
Administrator

look what showed up at a norcal show

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:38 pm 

sweet. :tu: 8) I want the little lip spoiler on the back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:23 am 

looks like he did what i was doing. i bought German fenders new and small bumpers as well as ATS wheels and had them shipped over from Germany.... things happened and had to sell the car, but i do still have all my German parts and Australia parts for the next build... Looks good keep up the good work...
http://youtu.be/DFihXaQ2gRs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:35 am 

I also like the blacked-out trim around the windows. I might have to do that. :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:40 am 

Dude, that's amazing.

I'm glad there's at least one guy left in the USA who is keen on the much-maligned Buick Opel by Isuzu.

I actually bought one in 2011 out of Michigan, I think. It was an ex-Texas car that had been taken to Michigan by an enthusiast who had owned a Buick Opel sedan when he was younger.

He had the 1976-model trucked to Michigan, gave it a new interior and hoarded a bunch of bits from Australia... then decided he'd lost interest.

Well, that Buick Opel by Isuzu popped up on Craigslist AND Just A Car Geek and I bought it, shipped it to California, then shipped it to Australia.

It's not been registered yet; I have some other Isuzu projects on the go, plus a young family, but it's on the cards. The few times I have had it out, it's astounded and confused people; not because it's unfamiliar; being essentially the same shape and grille as the 1976-1977 'TC'-model Holden Gemini, it's still familiar to anyone older than 20 years old, but because it's SO familiar, yet left-hand-drive!

I think I would have preferred a later version, which had the Buick badging on the nose and steering wheel, but beggers can't be choosers, especially when I have seen how much work you've put into yours. I'm not overly mechanical; I'm into the history and I love driving them, I just don't have the time, patience nor skills to dick around with cars, but I'm glad someone like you has.

Good luck with the rest of the build; I've just read the thread from start to finish! Two long, hard years condensed into fifteen minutes!

Here's mine at a show here in South Australia a couple of years ago:

Cheers!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:19 pm 

man, that is beautiful! you got any spare parts hanging around?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:40 am 

Hey man,

I've got a handful of things that are Buick Opel-specific; the side badges, mainly.

Most other stuff is either Gemini or mechanical stuff, which I don't really have any of.

I've got a centre console and some other stuff, but these were Aussie Gemini parts that got sent to the USA via eBay then sent back again when I bought the car!

Also, the stuff is packed elsewhere to my house, but if there's anything you're after specifically, I'll have a look next time I'm at the storage facility.

Cheers,

Dave

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 112 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next