#
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Daihatsu 360X
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:10 pm 

Hi guys, I have been a regular visitor to this website for about the last 6 months. I have a diecast collection (approx 1800 models, 1:64 scale) and have found this site to be an awesome reference/picture source. But as of last week, I am now the owner of my own little (and I mean little) bit of Japanese motoring history, and as such have became a site member.

I found Max in an advert in last months Just Car magazine whilst we were in Adelaide for the national Toy Swap Meet. I immediately rang the guy, he advised me that someone had already rang about the car and was heading up from Melbourne with a trailer. I was convinced that the car had gone, and spent the rest of the weekend kicking myself for not buying the magazine earlier. I rang the seller again on the Monday evening to see if the guy had bought the car, but only got the dreaded answering machine. By this stage, I had convinced myself I had missed my only chance of getting a 360X. And then Thursday night THE phone call happens, the seller advises me the guy from Melbourne did not buy the car and was I still interested in the car ??? Hell yeah, I'm interested ....

Now the fun part of my story begins .... Max is located on the East Coast of Australia, I live on the West Coast of Australia, some 3600 km's away. After having no joy with the car transporter companies, I decide a road trip is the only way of getting him home. A quick phone call to a mate to see if he can get the time off work and it's settled .... we're going for a drive !

After driving for three days, I finally get to see Max for the time. OMG, how small is he !

The following pic's are just some of my favourites from the trip home back to Perth

And so, 9 days, 7550 km's, approx 906 litres of fuel, and an undisclosed amount of dollars later ....... Max makes it to his new home

I hope my story has not bored all :)

My next step is to join a local car club here in Perth, any board members have any recommendations ??

And why did I choose this vehicle for my restoration project ?? - Because my mum had one when I was a kid ..... is there any better reason :D

Regards
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:20 pm 

I can't believe how tiny that thing is!!! :shock:

Looks like fun, too... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:03 am 

Great story! What a road-trip...

Make sure to keep us up to speed with this project :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:14 am 
JNC Fanatic

Welcome aboard fellow Aussie, now that's a road trip! I've got a similar problem with a Mazda I bought in Melbourne that I can't seem to get anyone to transport up here, might go road tripping!

That's a amazing little car, looks like it would ge in the back of the Commodore wagon!! Whereabouts in Qld was Max?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 am 
Administrator

Great story and beautiful pics from the road trip. That one with the signs cracks me up. Kangaroos, wombats (I think) and camels? I didn't know you had camels in Australia!

Good to see some more Daihatsu fans here, and the side-by-side shot with your Holden wagon makes it look microscopic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:05 am 
Administrator

Oh, and post some pics of your diecast car collection!
viewtopic.php?t=793

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:16 pm 

Nice. I'm guessing it's about the size of a Honda Z600. Ten inch wheels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 am 

Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback on my new addition and pic's from the Road Trip.

I'll try to answer the questions asked as best I can

B1500boy - Max was located in Wagga, NSW. I'm guessing because I said East Coast you were thinking of me meaning the Gold Coast. Us West Aussies just bunch all you guys east of the border as East Coaster's :lol:

I'd certainly recommend you do the road trip down to Melbourne, well worth the experience and I don't think you would have to contend with fuel prices like we were seeing crossing over the Nullabor

ben - In reference to Camels in Australia, yep they are out there. As I have been led to believe, camels were used by the original pioneers of the outback, and were just left out there in the wild. They continue to breed and can be found in South Australia and the Northern Territory. (for the record, didn't see any on our road trip :) ) I will get some pic's of my collection up onto the board during the week ..... just need to tidy up car room a bit :)

xemoto - Very similar in size to the Honda Z (another great car, love the micro cars). Max's dimensions are : length - 2995mm, height - 1305mm, width - 1295mm. Wheels are 10in

Thanks again for the welcome guys, look forward to showing you updates of the resto job

Regards
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:20 pm 
hi Dave
I used to own a white one in 1984 - 86.
My one was a two stroke engine, is it the same one? Over the past 20 years i have great memories of that car the best i owned. Unfortunately as a young guy i didn't know what i had and like all first cars you drive them into the ground. I would desparately like to own another one esspecially after reading your story. Were you looking long for this one or did you just come across it? Any tips on were to look, any info would be much appreciated.
Again thankyou heaps Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:18 pm 

Hi Dean,

Great to hear from a Fellow 360X owner and amazed that it was in the mid '80s you had yours. They seemed to disappear off the roads here in Perth fairly quickly. Do you have any pic's of yours ?

I had decided I wanted to restore a 360X because of fond memories of my mum's car, but knew the chance of finding one was going to be very slim. It was by pure luck that I found Max, I was actually in a pizza bar flicking through the Just Cars magazine when I spotted the advert. The car had been sitting in a shed out the back for 8 years and they had decided it was time for a clean out.

I have no idea where you may find one, can only suggest the specialty car magazines (Just Cars etc). . . . bear in mind I may beat you to any more advertised LOL (probably not actually, don't think I can afford to do another road trip for a while yet)

And yes, Max has a 2cyl, 2 stroke motor . . . 360cc :)

Keep me informed of your hunting, would love to hear that you have scored yourself a 360X too.

Oh, and here is a pic I got off the net, hopefully it brings back a couple of memories for you and helps motivate your search :D

Regards
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:40 am 
DELETED

Post subject: Re: Daihatsu 360X
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:02 am 

l'il fella wrote:
My next step is to join a local car club here in Perth, any board members have any recommendations ??

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave

Well there's a Daihatsu club http://www.daiclub.com but they all look a bit modern compared to yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:21 am 

Nice road trip story. Mine was similar. I had just finished the whole sell everything to get my first house phase. I sat back and thought what can I put in the workshop now I got one? There was only one answer, for me a Honda Coupe 9s. I found one through a website in S.A. (I am in VIC). Rang a mate, packed the trailer and off we went. Now I have a Honda N360 Scamp, similar in size to your 360 as well as a Civic too. The 360cc is great for fuel. I fill up about 4 times a year haha!

Good luck with the resto, and well done on the roadtrip!!!!!

James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 am 

I have some technical documents for the ZM engine and some product brochures of your 360.

Let me know, if you need anything.

Cheers,

Daniel

Daihatsu Cuore/Mira L201 + L501 + L701

http://www.Hijet.de/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:03 am 

Man, That's a sweet little car you got there! And the adventure accross Australia must have been one heck of an adventure! You've gotta show us more pics of the roadtrip, and the car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:58 pm 

do you have interior picture???
i also intend to restore my fellow max, but i didn't get references for the interior

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]