#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Mazsuzu the very confused Mazda B1500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 pm 

I've decided to buy a Mazda B1500. It's a 1967 model, despite the 80's boxy shape.
Here's a picture of as purchased:

It's got an incorrect front bumper bolted to the original and an ugly canopy to be removed ASAP.
Interestingly, it has a mod plate and was previously registered in Vic (Aust.) with it's existing donk: a 2.8L Isuzu diesel with 5 speed. It has Mitsubishi disks up front, and an err... Wolseley diff. It's dead straight, and begging for a rat-resto.

It's seems to be a bit of a rare model, in Australia anyway, so any info or contacts for parts would be really welcome.

Post subject: Re: Mazsuzu the very confused Mazda B1500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

A Wolseley diff? That beggars some sort of explanation.

Check out Ford Courier Collector. Lots of info about the B series utes there.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 pm 

I started work this weekend. It starts and runs fine. The diesel and gearbox seem ok, at least no problems in first or reverse. No oil or smoke is a great start.
The body had no real surprises, and the only rust is in the doors where some carpet had been glued to them trapping moisture... and a little more of the same on the floor.
The brakes were in great shape and got a quick clean and bleed. The front has massive Mitsubishi disks and callipers. Does anyone recognise the model? The disks are only marked 19mm minimum, and the callipers are marked 14G. I only know/suspect they are Mitsubishi as thats what the Engineer's plate specifies.
The worst part is the electrics. There is spaghetti everywhere. I suspect the previous owner overloaded and cooked the loom, and rather than cutting out the damaged wires, just started bypassing everything and introducing a new colour scheme of whatever was in the top shelf of the workbench. It's a mess.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm 

I forgot; does anyone recognise the seats? Cool old buckets, but I doubt they came standard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 am 

Looks a lot like the brakes on my starion there, Ill take a look at the markings on mine next time I have the wheel off and let you know. I tried snooping around my cars forums with no luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:24 pm 

Thanks tankbob, let me know how you go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

With the brakes two ideas.

- sometimes the brake pads have a number that you might be able to make out written on the back. ie "DBA......". Check out what that pad number fits caliper wise and go from there. Or just use that number to re-order pads.

- Get one of the rotors and measure everything. Then check out the DBA website or email them the specs and they/you can work out what the discs came off.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 pm 

coupe72001 wrote:

I forgot; does anyone recognise the seats? Cool old buckets, but I doubt they came standard.

Thats a GTO seat.

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 pm 

I tried Googling some Mitsubishi interiors, and it didn't go well.
So, 1975 Mitsubishi GTO at a guess?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:31 pm 

Have spent the last three weeks attempting to bleed the clutch. Have replaced the master cylinder with a B1600 unit, had the slave (Isuzu) rebuilt and still have to pump the pedal to get a good clutch. Checked the adjustment was correct. Finally pulled off the flexible hose and found a hairline crack, that I hope was sucking air into the system. Im having the hose rebuilt, the washers and banjo bolts replaced and will try again.

Other than the frustration of the clutch, I have stripped out the interior. It was fully carpeted, but under the carpet was a layer of sound deadening (water absorbing) sponge, that had been glued to the body. Finally I got it all off with a wire brush attached to a grinder. The B-pillars were full of pink insulation batt that would normally be found in the roof of a house. That all came out as well. Note the pile of rubbish by the ute.

On a positive note, Jason from Junked in Kyneton Vic welded up the holes in my doors really nicely. No filler at this point, just metal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 pm 

coupe72001 wrote:
I tried Googling some Mitsubishi interiors, and it didn't go well.
So, 1975 Mitsubishi GTO at a guess?

That's a very good guess, in fact. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:54 pm 

Thanks John!
Don't s'pose anyone knows if the seat rail mounting points are the same with the GTO and other early Mitsubishi/Chrysler models (Colt/Lancer/Galant etc)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:15 pm 

coupe72001 wrote:
Thanks John!
Don't s'pose anyone knows if the seat rail mounting points are the same with the GTO and other early Mitsubishi/Chrysler models (Colt/Lancer/Galant etc)?

Pretty sure it is. :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 pm 

Well this is frustrating. I've replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder and the flexible line between the two, bleed the system and still can't get a halfway decent clutch without pumping the pedal several times. The clutch is generally slow to return to resting position and it is impossible to engage a gear on a single depression of the clutch.
Although I have replaced all the parts with new identical parts, I don't actually have any evidence that this system worked in the first place. Maybe my Mazda master cylinder can't really move enough fluid to properly push an Isuzu slave cylinder.
I am thinking about either returning to a Mazda B series engine and box, or swapping to an Isuzu master cylinder (that will need to be adapted to fit the Mazda fire wall.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 pm 

coupe72001 wrote:
Maybe my Mazda master cylinder can't really move enough fluid to properly push an Isuzu slave cylinder.

That is very possible.

Quote:
swapping to an Isuzu master cylinder

This. :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:30 pm 

If you can look up both models on something like RockAuto, you can see if they are listed as the same bore size? 5/8" seems to be the most common bore size for Japanese compact car/truck master cylinders.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 pm 

Very interesting transmission tunnel modification to fit the Isuzu box.
It wouldn't be right if someone in country-ish Victoria didn't perform some type
of "bush mechanic" modification to an old girl like this.

Let me see.............

Farmer thinks to himself,
"Geez, the old Mazdas got a shagged diff! What have I got that I can make fit?"
"I know Nan's old Wolseley is sitting up the back corner of the paddock as a chicken coop, it was running when I parked it."
"Bugger me, that'll do! I'll make it fit!"

Cut and shut to fit the diff. Get the old girl going again.

"Stone the flamin' crows, Narelle, the motor looks like it's shat itself! What are we going to do now?"
"Hmmm, let me see? What other car have we got laying around not doing anything?"
"Know wot, Junior's old diesel Gemini is the ticket. It hasn't gone anywhere since he moved to the big smoke."
"It'll run on the smell of an oily rag! Gotta be better than that old gas guzzler 1500!"

Install diesel Gemmy motor, hack tunnel and make everything fit!

"Shoulda done this sooner, now the ute is giving me 40mpg and all I have to do to fill her up is to drain the livestock truck fuel tank
every coupla weeks. It's saving me shit loads in fuel. Bloody bonza idea, that!"

"Aahhh, Bugger me! Now I'm driving this ute more often, the seats are starting to knacker me back on the trip down to the abattoir!"
"What am I gonna do now?"

"I know, Smithy had this little Jap coupe sittin' there in his spud paddock holdin' up the fence. Wonder what the go is?"

"Smithy, what's the go with the dunger up the front paddock? Does it still have seats?"

Smithy says, "Yeah bloke, still got the seats. The missus thought it was too small for the 10 of us to go to church, so we drove it till it stopped.
Them bucket seats sure were comfy, though. Beat the heck out of the old bench seat in the Holden. You want 'em, go for your life?"

"You bloody bewdy, mate! Just what the doctor ordered!"

And so on........

It really does sort of conjure up those images! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:44 pm 

John. Using your suggestion I have determined that the Holden Rodeo running the Isuzu 4JB1 (and I assume a similar box) requires a 5/8th inch clutch master cylinder as you predicted. Unfortunately, the Mazda B1600 master cylinder is 3/4 of an inch. FAIL. I will now find and adapt a 5/8th cylinder and commence my 5th attempt at making the clutch work. 1,000 thanks for your suggestion. I was actually loath to start mixing and matching parts without good cause. Hitting the (suburban) wreckers in Melbourne isn't a cheap exercise anymore.
Phillip. I often imagine the exact same conversation in my head, but because the ute has a very faded New Zealand dealership sticker on the dash good parts of the conversation are in a rich Kiwi accent and the farmer's name is Derek.
Ill get a photo of the diff at some point. It looks pretty burley for a Wolesley.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 pm 

I have the opportunity to buy this B1600.
The price is right, but not sure how I it would integrate it with the existing project!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:31 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Do it!

I have a pommy V8 car with a spindly diff that looks about as strong as a soggy matchstick. I'm interested in any tough pommy diffs as I reckon the Poms had a habit of under engineering their cars in this area.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]