#
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: My KGC10 Skyline 2000GT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm 

I will make a new tread instead of going in the parts source tread.

Found it in UK. Owner was on short with the money and needed to pay restoration shop for the work they did on the car... So one mate of mine got in contact with me, and offered it. Well - i was a bit on impulsive side, and didnt asked much of the questions.. Price was 'right' and we agreed that i will take it. Its sanded to bare metal, with some parts removed. All the parts are with the car (99%), and some restoration is done (thats what owner said)...

After few weeks - got her home. Well - wasn't quite happy - but i know that im getting in some trouble one way or another :D Metal work isnt new for me, because im doing restoration / and other car builds daily... But i wasn't quite sure what i will get with the skyline, because from the pictures everything looked OK.

Here are the pictures of what i received:

Keep in mind - all this was done at one UK restoration shop! I would not let these people no there near any car!!! Everything is done so horibly that its hard to believe some one can do a job like this, and charge money! I will need new hood. Old one was 'restored' at the front, welding some NEW metal on TOP of the old one... While doing this - outer skin of the hood got heat warped, and now is totaly out of the shape...

Engine is stock L20 Everything looks to be in place and complete - that's a good thing

Front fenders are in OK condition and still i will be able to restore them. Lover ends near the doors have some welding done that will need to be cut away and redone.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2847_n.jpg
Heres example of HOW NOT TO DO. Awful, just awful.. Everything is WELDED on TOP of old metal in some places...

Doors - old metal cut out, new one welded it. Heat warping is so bad that whole lower end of the doors is all messed up nd lost it shape.. After some further inspection - i found out that the new metal sheet was put in from the inside of the doors, and just welded this way, without even trying to cut the shape to butt weld both metal pieces!

'side skirts'... They have to have a bit different shape... And worst thing - they are welded on TOP OF original ones

Another side has the same sad story. Only good thing - is that repair on doors is done proper way. I will be able to keep drivers side door, and get ir done property...

Another sideskirt - welded on top again Instead of cutting out / removing stock ones, and fabricating new ones on exact shape - they just did outer sheet and welded these on top of the originals Will need to remove everything and do a new sides...

'repair' on the door jam driver side. Again - same story - why cut / replace then you can just ADD new metal :(((

Rear end. Lower part is made from new sheet metal - and welded in place. Shape is wrong, cut out for exhaust is wrong...

Inside of the trunk - they already primered everything... Will need to cut all the'repairs out and make a new sheet metal works...

Spare time place is done not bad... might need just some sanding / grinding and it will be ok.

Back window lower part. common place on the Hakos. See next picture HOW they repaired it

They slapped some scrap metal in place, and welded it from the top. WAY TO GO! Damn, how can some one do stuff like this!!!

Floor is welded in from VW transporter! It similar shape of the hako, but the job that is done is blah Will need lots of grinding, because welds are horrible and not sanded in some places at all

rear floor repaired with some home made sheet metal...

Lots of parts - after checking all of them - it seems everything is in place. Im missing one fender mirror and thats all.

Bumpers are all good, except some surface rust. Will need to re-chrome them anyway.

So now im looking for original bonnet (stil cant decide if i should go with original or just get a FG replica...), i need left side door also... And will get on her pretty soon. Will fully dissemble everything get in on rotisserie and will start cutting all the mess...

Also - i need help from some one who has Hako. I would need some shape traces of the rear lower parts of the fender and side skirts... If some one could help - please let me know!

70' Skyline 2000GT

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks

Post subject: Re: My KGC10 Skyline 2000GT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:01 pm 

Wow.. that's some terrible work.. I hope you give you it the restoration it deserves!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 am 

That's pretty rough but there's worse Hako's around. Good luck with it. :D
What part of the UK did it come from ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:39 am 

DmK66 wrote:
That's pretty rough but there's worse Hako's around. Good luck with it. :D
What part of the UK did it come from ?

Birmingham ;)

70' Skyline 2000GT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 pm 

Well, got one of my best metal guys that i know come and check the car with me today, so the good news is - he said he will rescue both doors, both fenders, and help me out with the trunk and rear 'pockets'. Hood - will need to be scraped. Found a stock hood already in Japan, so going to organize shipping it to me :)

Now i need help about getting the right shapes formed from metal - so if any of you guys out there that have Hako could help me out - it would be greatly appreciated!!! What i need is some one that could do me a cardboard traces of these places:

70' Skyline 2000GT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 am 

Good luck with the restoration.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 am 

Hey I wanted to tell you. I'm going thru the same process with my 71 though I don't really update in the forum I'm very active on Instagram and most of us use that. My user name is Ri1eycoyote. Almost all of your trouble areas have manufactured replacement parts available. There are quality fender patches, lower door and rockers on YAJ where you can just buy. Cut your old trouble areas out and replace with the new. Pretty nifty. Both reasonably priced and save a lot of time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:57 am 

Ri1eyCoyote wrote:
Hey I wanted to tell you. I'm going thru the same process with my 71 though I don't really update in the forum I'm very active on Instagram and most of us use that. My user name is Ri1eycoyote. Almost all of your trouble areas have manufactured replacement parts available. There are quality fender patches, lower door and rockers on YAJ where you can just buy. Cut your old trouble areas out and replace with the new. Pretty nifty. Both reasonably priced and save a lot of time.

Saw you in Instagram ;) Checked your pictures ;) Im looking over YAJ, but most of the parts that pop up - are stupidly expensive considering this is just sheet metal (both side sills - 850$??)

I got templates from one really nice guy from UK (thank you Dan!), and will get on the metal works pretty soon ;)

70' Skyline 2000GT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:48 am 

hard to understand how somebody is able to work crappy like this!!
good luck with your resto!!
i have trunk lid, rear cross members and right fender for sale if you need??
located in switzerland
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 am 

Not much going on yet with my Hako, but soon it will get the much needed care ;)

Thanks Stev for hooking me up with a good lower part of the front fender, got my new hood also from Japan, along with a wipers cowl, and they both are in really good condition. Also bought a brand new lower panel that goes around the exhaust from KPC10 - with a small single exhaust exit :) And todays score is the bet one so far for me:

This will save me SOOO much time, and end result will be just the way i want - without any stupid welds visible from the inside of the trunk, and car will get all the original shapes on the fenders :)
Now just need to wait till i get them from Japan - and works will start :)

70' Skyline 2000GT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 am 

Whoa, nice find.

You're not gonna chop those up, are you ?! :roll:

Yeah, I know you are :) They're going to make a big difference.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:01 pm 

DmK66 wrote:
Whoa, nice find.

You're not gonna chop those up, are you ?! :roll:

Yeah, I know you are :) They're going to make a big difference.

Good luck.

it will be SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO hard to cut that surflilne... Im still tempted to leave it, pull out the looks some how with it :D But the wheels i got - will not fit on it for sure :D

70' Skyline 2000GT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 pm 

perhaps make copies before you cut........people will always need new panels, theres a market in that

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]