#
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Rotas or enkei 92 or vintage jdm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:32 am 

I'm kinda undecided on wheels for my car I really want vintage jdm rims but refinishing them can be quite expensive the rota wheels line up or the vintage line up from enkei like the 92's I'm looking at are these good made wheels or are they junk?

Post subject: Re: Rotas or enkei 92 or vintage jdm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:36 pm 

I got blasted on another forum as being a snob for this comment but I don't like the repro 92s because they are one piece cast wheels whereas the original 92s were two piece welded wheels with a spun barrel. Having said that, Enkei did have problems with a batch of 92s back in the 1980s where the centers would bust out. I think their quality control slipped at the time because they were at their peak of popularity and so they were really cranking out wheels.

Personally, the only Enkeis I would buy are from their Racing series since those models are made in Japan. The other series (Performance, Tuning, Vintage, etc) are made in PI, Thailand, etc. Oh, and if you can find Enkei rally wheels, those are made in Japan too, but they're heavy because they are heavy duty.

I don't like Rotas because well, they're cheap replicas. If that makes me a wheel snob, then so be it...

p.s. If it matters and you want to find out where a particular new wheel is made, the Tire Rack website carries that information. A lot of manufacturers won't show that on their website.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 pm 

It all depends on your budget and or what you are willing to shell out. It's basically $600 for a set of wheels or $2,000 for a set of wheels when it comes to these cars. I love having $2,000 set of wheels but trust me there are a lot of $600 set of wheels that can do the trick as well. I've purchased many sets of Rota wheels and I can tell you first hand that their quality of the cheap alternative has improved yearly. The fact that the RKR is always on back order must be that a lot of people are liking their cheap wheels :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:39 pm 

Cars like these deserve far better than Rota.. if you are patient you can find awesome used wheels in Japan and have them shipped over for similar prices to Rota!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am 

I've never bought from these companies (I like to peruse their website and dream) but Memory Fab and ICBMotorsports are pretty big importers of used wheels. There is another place in Upland, CA but I can't remeber their name. They usually post their wheels on ebay. If you follow the link in ebay, it leads you to the store.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am 

In my opinion, it's all about what you are going to be happy with. I'm most likely going to go with a set of Rota Grid V's for my z31. Would I like to have a set of real Volk TE37v? Of course I would but at the end of the day I can buy an entire set of Rota's for what it would cost to buy 1 Volk. There is of course the strength argument and the myth that Rota's magically fail while driving. Any wheel will fail if you beat on it hard enough.

I do have to agree with Mlracing to a point though. If you spend the time to hunt down some wheels there are some great deals to be found. Most of the time with these companies importing wheels it's all 4x100 or 5x114.3. So. if you take me for example, I'm after 16's in 4x114.3 with a 0 offset. That leaves me high and dry. I've only run across a handful of wheels for sale that match what I'm wanting and I'm not going to shell out twice what the car is worth for a set of wheels.

It's all relative and like I said. It's all about what, at the end of the day, you are going to be happy with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:40 am 

I like to keep everything period on the car bu in the end it's the money factor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am 
JNC Enthusiast

My biggest issue with the 'new' vintage line is the offset. I want my 92s with at least zero offset and negative would be even better. Rotas... well, I do like the RBs but that is about it for them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 pm 

People make a big fuss about authenticity, especially when it comes to vintage cars.

Here are some cheap, modern wheels I bought for my car.

You be the judge!

p.s. those wheels went with the car when I sold it. I plan to buy the exact same wheels again for my current car

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:27 pm 

The down side to these cheap wheels is they are not very safe. Because they are made from melted down kid's bicylces and stolen lawn ornaments, the metal is shit.

People with newer cars who buy large diameter wheels from the knockoff brands routinely have problems with stress cracks and outright failure.

I'm still going to buy another set though.

(Famous last words)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:36 am 

I have yet to see any evidence as to Rotas metal being as poor as everyone makes it out to be. You will hear the occasional case of one getting broken with rarely any real evidence on what caused it. Wheels don't just explode (yes I have heard someone say that their Rota just detonated while driving down the highway and that they "never" abused the wheels).

In my opinion, regarding larger wheel failures and even some smaller diameters, people are running rubber bands posing as tires with little to no sidewall. There is no tire to absorb any shock from bumps or potholes. Then they wonder why there are stress cracks from hitting something at 70 mph.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm 

Raven wrote:
...In my opinion, regarding larger wheel failures and even some smaller diameters, people are running rubber bands posing as tires with little to no sidewall. There is no tire to absorb any shock from bumps or potholes.....

Typically much higher spring rates and huge camber probably doesn't help either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:54 am 

Some years ago I was able to get a set of 1976 W.R.Grace Wheels refurbished at a local wheelfactory.

Backdoor during nightshift sort of a thing. :roll: They were cleaned ,blasted, primed painted just like new Wheels :D

In the end , just out of curiosity they scanned them. Result was shocking. No cracks or anything found but the cast / material structure

was apperantly terrible compared to modern wheels. No way they would have passed Q.C

Yea , I know WRG aren`t jdm but not so sure old jdm wheels are better quality than the new cheap stuff.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]