#
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: 72 MX22 Corona MK2 Coupe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:55 am 

So anyway, this old inventor guy with a Delorean lives around the corner from me, and one day he asked me to help out with this experiment of his. So anyways, I go down to the shopping centre carpark at night to meet him, and he's there with the Delorean and a blender or something and then he's got this plutonium and- well to cut a long story short I kinda went back in time and made out with my mum and then once I'd gotten out of that jam, set mum up with dad so I wasn't unexisted then had to push start the Delorean into a power line to catch a lightning bolt in order to get the 1.5 gigajoules needed to travel back to the present and I got back and my girlfriend was alive and well and some guy washed all my cars for free and then a bear came and they killed it and it died. Oh, the one tricky thing was the JNC forums kinda glitched backwards about a month and deleted my account, but you know what, all things considered I think I did pretty damn well with the whole endeavour, especially as the GMC part of the Delorean didn't break down, so I figured I'll just re-up all my JNC posts.

Oh yeah, and if you ever see any book or film with a similar plot or theme they must have stolen it from me and gone back in time to make it, so just let me know in the thread so I can send a cyborg back to kill the person who makes it before they're born...

Cool? cool. Right, the car...

So, when you've got two project cars and two dailies in varying states of disrepair, the logical thing to do is to sell all but one and buy a getz, then save to fix up that one, right? WRONG! Oh so wrong! You hunt down other rare Toyotas and go to great lengths to acquire and store them, usually by the good graces of friends and family Because you know what they say; two's a party, three's a serious disorder and you should under no circumstances follow in my footsteps. I implore you. My talking doctor implores you. My girlfriend implores you...anyways....

So after a bit of scouting around and various eyes kept on various interweb happenings, I got a message from my brother whilst he was up in Wyalkatchem for Racewars running my old silvia.

His group didn't have time to head back and leave a note for the guy, and I was fairly broke anyway, so I noted down the location with the intention of heading back to investigate once I had the means. It wasn't until a few months later that I clicked on a wanted ad on an online classifieds site out of curiosity, the guy was after a working 4M cylinder head and as you've no doubt guessed, it was for the MX22. I later discovered that he'd put pictures of the car up in case somebody had one and didn't know what it was, but all he'd really had were enquiries asking what it was.

So I sent off an email asking if he'd consider selling the car as it was; just because don't ask don't get, and I was fully expecting him to say no and that he was looking to keep it. But to my surprise he got back to me with a fair price and some interesting info on it, it was complete except for one hubcap and the busted head, 107,000 on the odometer. Whether or not it's 107 or 1,107,000 I'm not sure, but the body had been repainted at some point and the interior was in ridiculously good nick for the age, so could be either. I drove the 3 hours out to the town for a look; the guy was in his 70's and had a small fleet of old Fords, Standards and Triumphs and assorted bits and pieces.

What had happened was he'd been living in another small town down the coast, and one day he'd seen an ad for workshop manuals for sale. Having so many cars he ended up collecting over 400 workshop manuals, and would sell what he didn't need through clubs and such. Anyway, he's gone around to this house and met this old lady; her husband, the local reverend, passed away 8 years prior and the house was locked up as storage. She was just now starting the process of clearing out the possessions as the house was to be demolished. So the guy sorts through the old books and explains his hobby and such, and the widow tells him there's more car stuff in the garage if he's interested. They open up the door and there sits the reverend's Mk2, covered in dust. Apparently after he passed away the car was just left in the shed, the title passed onto the reverend's son who'd moved away and it was just one of those things which they never used but never sold, mainly for sentimental reasons I guess. The head had corroded through from age and lack of attention, but everything else was in original working condition. Apparently it had even been registered up until 2005. After a bit of back and forth the collector negotiated it off the son and it joined his fleet for the next two years; one of the many cars he'd intended to fix up and drive someday, but I think he figured out he was running low on somedays...when I picked it up he'd already sold off another six of the collection, so hopefully he's made enough cash to get at least one of his triumphs finished.

So here it is as it sits, it doesn't really need much to get it going except the head and gasket, but while I've got the space to keep it I'll probably just store it until I can afford to get the engine rebuilt and some of the trim and surface rust taken care of. Only other downsides are it's got a small chip in the windshield and the front has taken a bump at some point, nothing too serious and hopefully the sedan windshield will fit, otherwise I'll have to fork out for a new one.

So at the moment she's under wraps in storage; I managed to snag two cylinder heads from the guy as well, which look to be repairable but we'll have to see. The plan's going to be to get it running and registered, then pretty much sunday it until I can afford to give her some lovin - I was contemplating a JZ or a G, but now I'm leaning more towards accumulating what spares I can for the chassis then going a tidy up and an angry 4M...I'm not too concerned with go, a droolworthy exhaust note and cruising torque are top of my list.

Thanks for looking guys, hopefully post more soon

Post subject: Re: 72 MX22 Corona MK2 Coupe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:41 pm 

WOW!! :shock: :tu: you lucky dog. thats freakin clean man and i thought the one i got was clean.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:53 pm 

Wow. nice score. I would love to see one of these all tricked out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:29 am 

hi im raypul welcome to the mx22 world .clean toy you have there its exactly like mine maybe when you see it you start your thread more quickly. i got a sedan too and as far as i see both front windsheilds are the same except for the coulor even front rubber is easy to buy.if you can help me im trying to buy a power steering box for my mx22 .you can see my cars on jnc or send me your email on raypulis@gmail.com and i send you pics. my engines are both 6cyl 2m. bye.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 am 

Hi raypul, yours is the silver one isn't it? I remember seeing it on a forum a while back, fine job you did of brining it back to life, looked very tidy. Cheers for the info on the windshields, I may just end up getting a sedan for a parts car - one actually just sold over here but I think the guy was keeping the power steering - if you haven't already try on toymods.org forum, a few guys used to collect the Mark 2 - I think username gianttomato had quite a few, don't know if he still has parts but might be worth a shot.

Serg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:55 am 

Oh My Lordy! :D This car is BEAUTIFUL! If your interested I have an extra kidney lying around... Trade? :wink:

83 Mazda RX-7 GSL- Dual Webers, RB exhaust, quite fast.
80 Mazda RX-7 10th Anniversary Edition- 30,000 original miles, for sale. PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 am 

Welcome to the community. It looks like a great start. I am not sure on the windshields.... at one point I had all the research done on the sedans and the coupes. For some reason it seems like the front weatherstrips were different which led me to believe the coupes and sedans windshields were different... in length I think... but I could be wrong so dont quote me on that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 am 

Just how awesome is the inside trim on that C-post...?? 8) :wink:
What a great ol' coupe.
Can't wait to see this one sorted and back on the road again...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 pm 

So much but not much is happening with this old girl - on the plus side it looks like I may be able to get a windshield from the east coast, my glass guy should be getting the template soon, and if it fits I'll be much happier forking out for it from sydney rather than shipping one out of the US and hoping it doesn't snap :/

The minus side is I've had no joy hunting down another cylinder head - apparently the spare I've got is fixable but the valve train might not fit as the camshaft is bearing type and so can't be simply re-bored. It also has a bit of damage in a chamber, so I'm guessing the $500 to recon it will blow out to around $1k (AU) with porting, polishing and making the gear fit - hence the preference to track down another head or block. I'll see how I go but otherwise I might have to bite the bullet and go JZ.

Some pics of the damage:

And the spare and original (original has the valve gear still in - looks in great nick until you turn it over and see the galleries :P)

I haven't gotten any other goodies for it yet, but just thought I'd share some of the original books that came with the car - the old guy was nice enough to throw in 4 repair manuals and the original owners manual, complete with inexplicable 1970's toyota cartoon illustrations. Caption that one if you dare ;P

I imagine he's saying to the other guy; "Hey, let's give it and alloy head to make rebuilding the engine a nightmare in 40 years time!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Beautiful MX22, I love it.

Skellington wrote:
Wow. nice score. I would love to see one of these all tricked out.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6231&hilit=1974+toyota+corona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 am 
JNC Enthusiast

theunstated wrote:
Welcome to the community. It looks like a great start. I am not sure on the windshields.... at one point I had all the research done on the sedans and the coupes. For some reason it seems like the front weatherstrips were different which led me to believe the coupes and sedans windshields were different... in length I think... but I could be wrong so dont quote me on that.

That is 100% correct.
Sedans/Station Wagons share the same windshields
Coupe is different

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 am 

Oracles wrote:
theunstated wrote:

That is 100% correct.
Sedans/Station Wagons share the same windshields
Coupe is different

Awesome man, cheers for the heads up!

Love the green machine, I've got a few pics off google of that but hadn't seen a build thread yet - awesome work! I'm hoping to hang on to the 4M until I can afford to fix it up completely, would love to get a 2JZGE with ITBs in there, then some rack and pinion and brakes. I had a big horsepower S13 years back so I'm in no rush to get back into the $$$ game ;P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:11 am 

Image[/URL]

This arrived the other day - out of an MX32 in good running order, the only issue is it's an auto and my car is manual so there will be a bit of fiddling getting the manual gear from my car fitted up before install. In any case it won't be happening for a while yet but at least it's on track - I don't really want to outsource the work to mechanics, I'm no tradesman but I do take pride in doing what I can with my own hands as I think most people here can understand, so I'm trying to get away from the day job long enough to finish the repairs to the NX Coupe I plan to daily and get the RT72 moving again so I can do the engine swap at my place. The joys of having 6 cars hey ;P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:59 am 

clean rig buddy! oh you reckon having 6 cars is a mission? I've got bloody 8! So keen to cut them down to 4 lol..

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:49 pm 

Best of luck with the engine swap!
Hope she's back on the road again soon...
What are your further plans for her? Drive as is, or start to clean her up?

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 am 

Thanks guys, hopefully once I cut down to 4 rigs I can make enough space to rotate the maintenance, so while waiting for parts for A I can drive B and repair C or D and so on. Right now it's just get her running and registered then fix up the minor dings and cruise on the weekends - at this stage preventing further degradation is more viable than restoring 3 cars at once, but hopefully one day...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]